Found trashed cache

vicvroom

I'm new to this, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do in this situation. I found the bottom and top of a painted Altoids tin where the cache was supposed to be, but they looked smooshed and the contents were missing. This cache is very close to my house and I could try to help it - print a log sheet and put it back or do I just post on the site the condition of the cache?

Don't assume the cache owner wants you to fix things. Just post a Note on the cache page stating what you found. Then I would suggest contacting the owner directly with your offer.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the addiction. We are happy to have you here.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Don't assume the cache owner wants you to fix things. Just post a Note on the cache page stating what you found.

It's possible you found the remains of a previous container that the owner didn't find/remove when they replaced it.

So, if you replace it, there might be two containers at the location thus causing confusion for others.

Let the owner take care of it.

I once found a cach that had been disrupted by construction and tree removal. The log had not been signed in over a month even though people had claimed to have found it only days before. After I got home I read further into the logs and found out that the owner had replaced the cache but could not find the original container. I have never gone back to search for the replacement container.