Geocaches near school grounds

Methinks you would be much better off asking a reviewer that question. Only a reviewer can truly provide you with the answer.

I think too, that you will get differing (to a degree) responses from reviewers.

Your local reviewer is the one that would be reviewing any cache you attempt to place, so the best answer (for you) will be from him/her.

On school grounds: do you have permission from the school bldg/ district to place the cache?

Off school grounds: is it in direct line-of-sight with the school building?

As an educator, I know I would have red-flags going off if there were regularly strangers hanging out near the school and I didn't know about the geocache.

My personal take on playground caches: they're iffy and almost always need the "stealth required" tag.

As a 30yo male, wasting time in a playground looking for a cache makes me look like a pervert at the least and a pedophile/kidnapper at the worst.

Right after I got back from Iraq a child went missing. In the first two weeks everyone thought he had been kidnapped and I wrote off all playgrounds during summer and nice weather as a caching stop.

It later was found out that the step-mother was involved in the boy's disappearance and 3 years later they have yet to find his remains, but I still keep to that personal rule. If there is anyone in the playground I skip the cache just for appearance sake and to not raise suspicions in this paranoid world we live in.

For me there is no hard distance. If I think someone hunting a cache will be in clear view of the school it's a no go. It could be a matter of 100 feet in a city and a and a few hundred yards in open country. Your reviewer may have a different standard so it's best to ask him.

After Sandy Hook, (and I live one town over) I'd say the farther from view of school grounds, the better. Schools across the U.S. are tightening up their security. You might not be the one who gets in trouble, but someone looking for the cache might.

Note the name of GC259GG, "Transforming Education".

Look at the cache on satellite view, note just a few feet, say 10 to 20, separate it from the elementary school playground.

Look at the cache in street view. Now focus on the title, "Transforming", now note the green electrical box, at GZ, the most likely relation to "Transformer". It is sitting on school property.

I can not fathom why this cache was allowed, not do I understand why my archive request on 1/3/12 has prompted no action. Read the logs, other cachers backed off from searching just as I did, and I had gone when school was out, but unaware of the location details until I got there.

The hint says "Watch for Muggles.". It should say "Watch out for school children, and teachers, who may call the police on you."

Edited by fbingha

Look at the cache on satellite view, note just a few feet, say 10 to 20, separate it from the elementary school playground.

Look at the cache in street view. Now focus on the title, "Transforming", now note the green electrical box, at GZ, the most likely relation to "Transformer". It is sitting on school property.

I can not fathom why this cache was allowed, not do I understand why my archive request on 1/3/12 has prompted no action. Read the logs, other cachers backed off from searching just as I did, and I had gone when school was out, but unaware of the location details until I got there.

The hint says "Watch for Muggles.". It should say "Watch out for school children, and teachers, who may call the police on you."

The maps also show it on the edge of Westdale Park, an area which is likely to be frequently used by adults not associated with the school. If that area was entirely school grounds I might agree with you, but it isn't.

The maps also show it on the edge of Westdale Park, an area which is likely to be frequently used by adults not associated with the school. If that area was entirely school grounds I might agree with you, but it isn't.

And Google Streetview shows the location in question as being on the school parking lot side of the fence.

8526213847_ae741f4902_b.jpg

-Talking just about the school location and not about the power box-Take into account an adult in a (any) parking lot is normal. one could make the argument that even a stranger in a parking lot is normal-could be a parent, SUB teacher, someone making a presentation, repair person, even someone from the utility dept. checking on the box. Most people wouldn't even look twice. Yet that same person hoping the fence, or anywhere near the playground or windows of the school building, acting suspicious, looking for something at these locations(AKA geocaching) could raise alarm bells.

Yes, there is a park on the other side of the fence. When I drove up, I hoped the cache was on the other side of the fence. My Oregen 550 took me to the green box. Regardless of the chance that the cache is on the park side, hiding a cache on either side of the fence carries the same outcome, no? People are going to search both sides since it is only 10-20 feet to get to each side.

Guidelines state:

The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

This cache seems to illustrate a perfect case of a hide that isn't allowed due to school proximity. Imagine people crouching down to search the bottom of that green box. Imagine what parents would think and what would happen. Line of sight to a playground, merely twenty feet away.

If this doesn't violate the spirit of the no schools guideline then I don't understand the how to interpret the guideline.

Edited by fbingha

Yes, there is a park on the other side of the fence. When I drove up, I hoped the cache was on the other side of the fence. My Oregen 550 took me to the green box. Regardless of the chance that the cache is on the park side, hiding a cache on either side of the fence carries the same outcome, no? People are going to search both sides since it is only 10-20 feet to get to each side.

Guidelines state:

The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

This cache seems to illustrate a perfect case of a hide that isn't allowed due to school proximity. Imagine people crouching down to search the bottom of that green box. Imagine what parents would think and what would happen. Line of sight to a playground, merely twenty feet away.

If this doesn't violate the spirit of the no schools guideline then I don't understand the how to interpret the guideline.

A cache can be placed and published on school grounds but there are more hoops to jump through to make it happen, notably getting expressed permission from the person in charge of the school. It's also up to the reviewer. You can get all the permission you need and the reviewer might still say no. But, just because it's school grounds doesn't exclude it from being available to place a cache on.

And Google Streetview shows the location in question as being on the school parking lot side of the fence.

I suppose that the park is so close to the school that normally cachers in the area would not raise eyebrows. However, if someone dressed in camo and military fatigues, carrying a backpack started looking, it may generate a police call. It does appear to violate the guidelines, and looks like another case of a reviewer ignoring possible problems, such as the ones mentioned in this thread. Different reviewer, but same state.

There have been several occasions when I was sincerely grateful to have one or both of my kids with me at the time I was looking...otherwise I might have been viewed as pretty suspicious.

As a parent AND geocacher, I naturally surveyed the area around my daughter's school (as I do for almost every place I go to these days) and just knew there was no way to do it there without appearing suspicious to someone. Better just to let it go than try to figure out some way of getting a cache in the area. I probably wouldn't try to find one in such a location, so I figure a lot of other folks wouldn't either.

I suppose that the park is so close to the school that normally cachers in the area would not raise eyebrows. However, if someone dressed in camo and military fatigues, carrying a backpack started looking, it may generate a police call. It does appear to violate the guidelines, and looks like another case of a reviewer ignoring possible problems, such as the ones mentioned in this thread. Different reviewer, but same state.

Guys, the reviewer just "missed" the SBA log. Yeah, I know they get them via email, but trust me, if a second one's posted, this ones going down faster than a dropped lampskirt cover.

I once pointed out an SBA to a reviewer (note I didn't necessarily say my local reviewer) where I couldn't believe no action was taken. They told me, "Yup, that's weird, totally missed that one". :lol:

Guys, the reviewer just "missed" the SBA log. Yeah, I know they get them via email, but trust me, if a second one's posted, this ones going down faster than a dropped lampskirt cover.

I once pointed out an SBA to a reviewer (note I didn't necessarily say my local reviewer) where I couldn't believe no action was taken. They told me, "Yup, that's weird, totally missed that one". :lol:

That's always possible. However he also "missed" it during publication, as well as "missing" the previous cache that was published at the same location. A coincidence is 2 instances, a pattern is 3. With Jellis reporting another reviewer in the same state "missing" 2 emails about another hide, it appears to be part of a pattern.

From experience, approvals are made for caches way closer than parents and staff want you to be. I can't tell you how many times I have cached near schools (High Schools being the exception...mostly) that ranged from either evil eyed to actually nearly have a huge fight. Most every time, the school either approved it (or so said the cache description) but the staff/parents were not clued into this, hence the issues.

I just wonder what the point of putting caches near schools & day care centers (assuming no other interesting thing nearby, which is a majority of my experience).

That's always possible. However he also "missed" it during publication, as well as "missing" the previous cache that was published at the same location. A coincidence is 2 instances, a pattern is 3. With Jellis reporting another reviewer in the same state "missing" 2 emails about another hide, it appears to be part of a pattern.

You are making quite an assumption here. I have found my reviewers to be professional. I posted the cache so that others could give reasons as to why it may be allowed, not as bait to jump on a reviewer.

There is no doubt multiple mistakes were made, i.e. shouldn't even have been published in the first place, and the SBA missed. I still think they'll nix it. Probably just from it being brought up in this forum, even if no one drops another SBA on it.

I think that this may be the case. I have been at this long enough to know how our Southern California reviewers typically react to such things. If the OP were to write a private email to MR or KN, detailing his case as he did in this forum thread, I have a feeling that he would get swift action. Reading the NA log makes it simply sound like he picked the wrong parking lot. That along with some of the found logs referencing the park, makes it sound like the cache is in the park and isolated. The street view shows that even if it is in the park it is in full view of the school playground. Sooner or later, this cache will be an issue for someone, hopefully not the school and the entire neighborhood.

Reading the description, "There was a previous cache near this location but was muggled very quickly. There definitely needs to be one here." Whenever I read that, and this is way too often, my mind screams "WHY?". 99% of the time, it is a terrible place for a cache.

You are making quite an assumption here. I have found my reviewers to be professional. I posted the cache so that others could give reasons as to why it may be allowed, not as bait to jump on a reviewer.

Over the years I have noticed more than a few valid NA notes ignored. Some were acted upon several months, and sometimes years after being posted. If someone is communicating that there is a problem by writing an NA log, it is only fair to communicate a reply back and act on it, or explain why it is unwarranted.

Reading the description, "There was a previous cache near this location but was muggled very quickly. There definitely needs to be one here." Whenever I read that, and this is way too often, my mind screams "WHY?". 99% of the time, it is a terrible place for a cache.

Translation: "I looked at the map and there is a gap here large enough to conform to the 528 foot rule."