GPS required?

I'm a newby and a bit behind the times in tech terms...still using a "dumb" phone (it has navigation but I can't seem to figure out how to enter coordinates); will the map seen online along with the hints get me close enough for easy finds?

Sometimes online maps and hints will get you there. Sometimes not.

There are some that geocache with just a compass and a topographical map. At least 1 has found thousands that way.

It's not impossible.. You can go as far as seeing the Google satellite map, get a general lay of the land, and do it.. But... Only if it's nearly urban. (with little or no ground clutter/trees.) If it's out in the middle of the forest, or up on a mountain side, You're looking for that needle in a haystack.. I've only found one cache, by going by a car GPS to get me to the trailhead, which had me about 200-feet from GZ.. I was able to walk onto the trail, noticed a log which had a flat rock laying over the end, found the cache.

I've found about 5 so-far sans-GPS, but only because of the lack of clutter, and a few obvious hiding places.

Not impossible.. I mean, look at Letterbox finders? a bare minimum of clues, a general idea what to look for.. No GPS.

GPS required?

For FINDING, no.

For HIDING, yes.

Can you do it (find a geocache) with just a map? Sort of like what Starbrand said -- Some can and some cannot.

It depends upon one's abilities at reading and interpreting the map info.

Actually, you can for some hides also. If you can see the location of your cache well enough in Google Maps, you can right click on the location, select "What's Here?", and you'll get a decimal version of the coordinates. You shouldn't do this if your cache is hidden under a lot of trees.

GPS required?

For FINDING, no.

For HIDING, yes.

Can you do it (find a geocache) with just a map? Sort of like what Starbrand said -- Some can and some cannot.

Actually, you can for some hides also. If you can see the location of your cache well enough in Google Maps, you can right click on the location, select "What's Here?", and you'll get a decimal version of the coordinates. You shouldn't do this if your cache is hidden under a lot of trees.

Please, feel free to show me where this quote from the Listing Guidelines says that it is OK to use Google Maps.

In fact, the first line of the descriptive paragraph says otherwise.

Listing Guidelines for All Geocaches

1. Technical Requirements

1. Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates.

• You must visit the cache location and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device.

GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and seeking caches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. Projecting waypoints from a specific location already defined by set of coordinates is permissible. For geocaches that include additional waypoints see the guidelines specific to those cache types.

Unless of course, I am missing something in your use of the term "some hides". Just what types of hides would it be OK to use some method other than a GPSr to obtain coordinates?

GPS required?

For FINDING, no.

For HIDING, yes.

Please, feel free to show me where this quote from the Listing Guidelines says that it is OK to use Google Maps.

• You must visit the cache location and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device.

GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and seeking caches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. Projecting waypoints from a specific location already defined by set of coordinates is permissible. For geocaches that include additional waypoints see the guidelines specific to those cache types.

Unless of course, I am missing something in your use of the term "some hides". Just what types of hides would it be OK to use some method other than a GPSr to obtain coordinates?

If you can see the location of your cache in Google Maps, it's fine. Coordinates are coordinates are coordinates.

GPS required?

For FINDING, no.

For HIDING, yes.

If you can see the location of your cache in Google Maps, it's fine. Coordinates are coordinates are coordinates.

No, it's not fine. Online maps can be off by a significant distance from the actual GPS coordinates. It is absolutely, positively against the Guidelines to hide a cache without obtaining GPS coordinates at the cache site with a GPS device. Gitchee-Gummee quoted you the exact guideline which states this. What part do you not understand?

GPS required?

For FINDING, no.

For HIDING, yes.

No, it's not fine. Online maps can be off by a significant distance from the actual GPS coordinates. It is absolutely, positively against the Guidelines to hide a cache without obtaining GPS coordinates at the cache site with a GPS device. Gitchee-Gummee quoted you the exact guideline which states this. What part do you not understand?

If there is a big empty field, and your cache is an ammo can right next to a bush, and you can see that bush on Google maps, and there's nothing around it in all directions for 100 feet except grass, people can find it and no one will know the difference.

Do you have a reading disability or something?

Or are you just so special that rules do not apply to you?

If you can not use a GPS to record coordinates for a hide, DO NOT PUBLISH the hide.

PERIOD.

People like yourself do more damage than good to the geocaching community.

Edited by BMW JEDI

If you can not use a GPS to record coordinates for a hide, DO NOT PUBLISH the hide.

PERIOD.

If the coordinates end up working, then it's fine. Also, I am taller than Chuck Norris so rules MAY not apply to me. I'm not sure about that, though.

PERIOD.

If the coordinates end up working, then it's fine. Also, I am taller than Chuck Norris so rules MAY not apply to me. I'm not sure about that, though.

Your blatant disregard for the Geocaching.com rules/regulations put in place as well as the arrogance you convey astounds me.

Geocaching certainly does not need people like you getting involved and diluting the quality of the 'sport'.

I do not think your statements here are gaining you many friends....

Edited by BMW JEDI

PERIOD.

Your blatant disregard for the Geocaching.com rules/regulations put in place as well as the arrogance you convey astounds me.

Geocaching certainly does not need people like you getting involved and diluting the quality of the 'sport'.

I do not think your statements here are gaining you many friends....

I'm his friend but I don't agree with him.

Edited by CaptainAmerica1

GPS required?

For FINDING, no.

For HIDING, yes.

If there is a big empty field, and your cache is an ammo can right next to a bush, and you can see that bush on Google maps, and there's nothing around it in all directions for 100 feet except grass, people can find it and no one will know the difference.

Especially if it's bright pink or red or something like that.

PERIOD.

In the second last line I think you mean comma at the most. :laughing:

I am sorry for all of the argument that I caused. I do realize that the guidelines do say that you must obtain GPS coordinates from a GPSr, and I appreciate that you're sticking to the guidelines. My small point was just that a person such as the poster of this topic MAY want to use the Google Maps method, if they can see the location of the cache well enough, even though it's not following the guidelines. One common violation of the guidelines that I see alot, and annoys me is that a lot of caches, especially ones on bike trails, are not placed with permission.

Okay Stu, if you insist. Proprietary cables!

Your turn.

I am reformed. I no longer attempt to teach. Check your local college and inquire for a professor teaching Effectiveness Engineering.

Notice from the above, it's liked watching Judge Judy or Jerry Springer show, no matter how long it goes on, nobody ever concedes. Quite hopeless as a learning or teaching environment.

A few things...

Please be civil and play nice. Further attacks on others will result in people getting special "time outs" from the forums. As I do not like to do that, and people tend to get mad, please have a discussion in a civil manner.

Yes a GPS is required. Maps are not always accurate. I know of a location that I took the coordiates, and when checking it on a map found that it was 60' off. I corrected it to the map. Only to have a string of people say it was not there. I went out and check and I was write the first time. If the satellite map and the latitude and longitude are not matched up it may appear to be on target, but in reality you are many feet off. So as a rule we require a gps of some sort.

PERIOD.

In the second last line I think you mean comma at the most. :laughing:

Where is the "second last line?" I only see one last line.

It's not impossible.. You can go as far as seeing the Google satellite map, get a general lay of the land, and do it.. But... Only if it's nearly urban. (with little or no ground clutter/trees.) If it's out in the middle of the forest, or up on a mountain side, You're looking for that needle in a haystack.. I've only found one cache, by going by a car GPS to get me to the trailhead, which had me about 200-feet from GZ.. I was able to walk onto the trail, noticed a log which had a flat rock laying over the end, found the cache.

I've found about 5 so-far sans-GPS, but only because of the lack of clutter, and a few obvious hiding places.

Not impossible.. I mean, look at Letterbox finders? a bare minimum of clues, a general idea what to look for.. No GPS.

and unless some clouds get in the way!

Also keep in mind that Floridabiker is the same person who feels it's just fine to not sign logs and count them as found.

Edited by CamoriCouple