Protocol Question: new cache at location of retired cache

Greetings. A micro-cache not too far from where I live was archived recently. It was in a great historic location which really deserves a micro, so I sent a message to the owner and asked if I could adopt it. It has been nearly a week and I have received no response back.

If I don't receive a response, am I clear to place a new cache at this same location? The owner specifically said they were archiving it because they moved too far away and couldn't maintain it - and that they were placing a cache someplace else.

What is the protocol here? I want to make sure I am clear on this before I violate rules.

Thanks!

KS2K

What is the protocol here? I want to make sure I am clear on this before I violate rules.

It was nice that you attempted to contact the previous cache owner, but such a courtesy isn't really necessary (at least in our area). Once the cache was archived, anybody can place a new one there. Just be aware that someone else might have been thinking the same thing you are and could already have a cache in the reviewing queue.

Thanks to all of you for the great responses. I just placed the order for the container I want to use, so it will be a week or so before I get the cache submitted. Hopefully nobody moves in before then, but if they do, then so be it, at least there's a cache there. B)

Thanks again for the replies!

KS2K

Thanks to all of you for the great responses. I just placed the order for the container I want to use, so it will be a week or so before I get the cache submitted. Hopefully nobody moves in before then, but if they do, then so be it, at least there's a cache there. B)

Thanks again for the replies!

KS2K

Create your new cache page now, using the approximate co-ordinates for where you intend to place the cache. Put in a rough decription - you can refine it later. In the 'Note to reviewer' section put something like, "Container on order for this cache. I hope to set it in the next couple of weeks."

If somebody else tries to publish a cache at the location then the reviewer will see that you have good intentions to place your cache at that spot. Generally speaking, the cache listing with the earliest GC number gets priority on the location and you'll be given a reasonable amount of time to get your container in place and the co-ordinates refined.

MrsB

The site itself is behind a fence in a cemetery. The cache will be at a couple of historic markers outside the fence on the sidewalk. It is an urbanized area. There is no room for a full size cache.

I prefer full size caches myself, but hunting urban micros at night is also fun. :-)

The site itself is behind a fence in a cemetery. The cache will be at a couple of historic markers outside the fence on the sidewalk. It is an urbanized area. There is no room for a full size cache.

I prefer full size caches myself, but hunting urban micros at night is also fun. :-)

As AZCachemeister said, if there are historic markers there, why not make that the first stage of a multi? You can use information found on the marker (a date or something like that) to decipher the final coordinates, which can be anywhere nearby (potentially somewhere you can hide a larger container)

I will give it some thought. As this is my first plant I am looking for simple. But I will think it over. I don't have a ton of time, so that is a factor as well.

Follow Blorenges advice, make the cache page now. That'll give you the time you need to search the area and create the largest and best cache for the historic location. A good site deserves a quality cache.

What is the URL of the archived cache anyways?

Why, interested in placing a cache there?! ;)

First off, you are not the poster of this topic, so why are you responding?

I would like to see what the historical significance here is, the location, and stuff like that. I'm not interested in placing a cache there, in fact, I am trying to encourage the poster of this topic to place one there. Chances are that I don't even live too close to the cache location.

People need to get more into multi-caches.

Go here.

See historic/interesting site/sight.

Gather information.

Go elsewhere to find full-size cache.

I would add: "But don't get TOO much into multi-caches".

In my area geocachers are fond of multi-steps. The community happily accepted the idea that you described. So we now have many walking tours with 10-20 steps. At every step you're supposed to count something and then calculate final coordinates with maths like "A+B-C*D+(E/(F-G))...". It becomes even more crazy when the CO makes a mistake in his formula like it was with one of geocaches that I visited in Ireland where I spend about 1.5 hours trying to find my way through private yards and "no tresspassing" signs while the hiding place was in plain sight in a little public park not far away. I solved this puzzle remembering that someone had mentioned in the cache's log that dogs had played in that small park so when I noticed an old gentleman with his dog I followed him and they got me to that park :) AFAIK many cachers before me have run into the same problem with that multi-step.

Create your new cache page now, using the approximate co-ordinates for where you intend to place the cache. Put in a rough decription - you can refine it later. In the 'Note to reviewer' section put something like, "Container on order for this cache. I hope to set it in the next couple of weeks."

If somebody else tries to publish a cache at the location then the reviewer will see that you have good intentions to place your cache at that spot. Generally speaking, the cache listing with the earliest GC number gets priority on the location and you'll be given a reasonable amount of time to get your container in place and the co-ordinates refined.

MrsB

I agree. Create the cache page with rough coordinates NOW while you are waiting for your cache container to arrive. Otherwise someone may get the spot before you do.

MrsB

I agree. Create the cache page with rough coordinates NOW while you are waiting for your cache container to arrive. Otherwise someone may get the spot before you do.

would have to be a nice container and follow the guidelines as well... till you got your other container

MrsB

would have to be a nice container and follow the guidelines as well... till you got your other container

No it wouldn't. No container would need to be placed until you requested that it is published.

However I'm not sure I like the idea of too many prospective COs following this strategy as we could end up with large areas being used up by COs who may use the area at a later date (and then don't) rather than just waiting for a container to arrive.

Edited by Legochugglers