2,000,000th cache is too far away lol

Now that we know where the 2 millionth cache is, where is the 1 millionth cache? Hopefully that one is in a more centralized location for the majority of geocachers.

Frankly I'm glad that it's not in a more centralized location for the majority of geocachers. If someone wants to find the 2 millionth cache I think it ought to be a notable achievement, not some run of the mill cache that's in the backyard of where the majority of geocachers live.

IMHO, the worse thing that could have happened would have been if a 1.5/1/5 cache in Seattle won the luck of the draw. The pacific northwest already has Groundspeak HQ, the Original Stash plaque, the Groundspeak block parties, a couple of the oldest caches in the world. Since geocaching *is* a global game I think it's only fair that those that live in the more geo-populated areas have to travel occasionally to accomplish a notable achievement. I think it's *good thing* that the oldest active cache in the world, the only remaining APE cache, and the 2,000,000th cache are not located in what some people consider to be the center of the universe.

Alice Springs isn't quite in the middle of nowhere, but in the geographic center of Australia, it's pretty close. However, it's still quite accessible. It has an airport served by a major airline (Qantas) from most major Australian cities, and is somewhat of a tourist center. The fact the 2,000,000th cache is in somewhat of a remote location will mean fewer people will find it and would make me want to find it more than if half the geocachers in the world also found it because it was in their back yard.

Now that we know where the 2 millionth cache is, where is the 1 millionth cache? Hopefully that one is in a more centralized location for the majority of geocachers.

The ID in this cache is 1,000,000

And you're a sock puppet. :lol:

I dunno, we were told the 1,000,000th active cache was a dynamic event, and couldn't be determined. Apparently, there were great advances in Technology in a couple short years. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I dunno, we were told the 1,000,000th active cache was a static event, and couldn't be determined. Apparently, there were great advances in Technology in a couple short years. :ph34r:

I think that they didn't prepare ahead of time for the 1millionth, but they did for this milestone. It think trying to determin after the fact could be increadibly difficult.

Where is the 2,000,000th cache?

Wayne

It's near Alice Springs, Australia. It's a 3.5/2.5 D/T rated cache that appears to require a somewhat steep hike to an overlook point with a nice view.

I dunno, we were told the 1,000,000th active cache was a static event, and couldn't be determined. Apparently, there were great advances in Technology in a couple short years. :ph34r:

I think that they didn't prepare ahead of time for the 1millionth, but they did for this milestone. It think trying to determin after the fact could be increadibly difficult.

For whatever reason, no attempt was made to identify the 1,000,000th active cache. I can't say for sure we were told it was a dynamic event (sorry, I typed static in the post that's quoted) that couldn't be determined by a Groundspeak employee, but I'll bet I could find where a Mod or Volunteer reviewer said it. :)

The 2 million number is related to the number of active caches, not the 2 millionth cache placed. Caches get archived all the time. During the run to to this milestone the number dropped when a few folks archived a bunch of caches.

Thank you... Just when I thought I knew it all! LOL

Wayne

I've never educated myself on the "new" numbering system (and by new, I mean it was implemented in 2003), but I saw where someone said a week or so ago that the 3,000,000th Waypoint number has already long since been issued. Not just because of archivals, there are many never published caches. This was the 2,000,000th active cache published on 28 February, 2013.

Welcome to Geocaching, an exercise in artifice.

Whatever cache it is, it may have been the 2,000,000th active cache for a few minutes, but certainly some caches have been archived and others published since then.

It's a moving target, and probably several dozen caches that were published around that particular minute in time have shared the same distinction.

No matter how I try, I just can't seem to get worked up over it. <_<

The 2,000,000 cache is supposedly about 300 meters from my house. However the coordinates are over 500 meters out. I spent well over an hour trying to find it but came up with nothing.

I have posted a needs maintenance log and contacted the cache owner but have had no reply or action on this one. Pity 'cos I would like my 200th to be the 2,000,000.

I've never educated myself on the "new" numbering system (and by new, I mean it was implemented in 2003), but I saw where someone said a week or so ago that the 3,000,000th Waypoint number has already long since been issued. Not just because of archivals, there are many never published caches. This was the 2,000,000th active cache published on 28 February, 2013.

The 2 millionth active cache was GC46N4E, which is ID number 3,482,029. That means almost three and a half million caches were submitted (some never published) before we got to 2 million active caches.

I've never educated myself on the "new" numbering system (and by new, I mean it was implemented in 2003), but I saw where someone said a week or so ago that the 3,000,000th Waypoint number has already long since been issued. Not just because of archivals, there are many never published caches.

Using FizzyMagic's handy conversion tool, the 3,000,000th GC code was approximately* GC3NFH4, which was placed last June. The GC code for "the 2,000,000th cache" was actually the 3,482,029th possible GC code. That means there are almost 1.5 million GC codes that were never published or have been archived.

*Some of the earliest codes were never assigned, even to unpublished caches

The 2,000,000 cache is supposedly about 300 meters from my house. However the coordinates are over 500 meters out. I spent well over an hour trying to find it but came up with nothing.

I see someone from Alaska has posted what they think might be the correct coordinates. They suspect that the CO transposed a couple of digits in the longitude, and that the coordinates should really be S23 41.368 E133 54.632. Based on the CO's description and a look at Google Earth, that location seems to be more likely.

I see someone from Alaska has posted what they think might be the correct coordinates. They suspect that the CO transposed a couple of digits in the longitude, and that the coordinates should really be S23 41.368 E133 54.632. Based on the CO's description and a look at Google Earth, that location seems to be more likely.

Kinda funny, so it looks like the "First 2 Millionth Active Cache" technically doesn't even meet current guidelines...

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates.

I've seen plenty of listings archived due to breaking this guideline, but of course the reviewer has always been reasonable and tried to get the CO to fix things first. Let's see if the CO ever returns to fix this error.

Let's see if the CO ever returns to fix this error.

I bet they've been scared away by the constant bombardment of their inbox over the last 2 days. They only casually found 7 caches over the course of about 9 months, so they're not hardcore into this game. They finally hide their first cache, and they get 1400+ emails in their inbox within the first two days, as well an unknown number of personal messages that we don't even know about! It would be quite the shock, and could easily turn off someone who isn't very into the game.

I also hope that TPTB go through all those notes and lock all the trackables for which the tracking codes have been posted, and remove all the dipped trackables in the "View past Trackables" list. There's absolutely no good reason for anyone to be doing either.

I'm still hoping the listing gets cleaned up and locked until this all blows over, but I doubt it'll happen. This cache that TPTB have hyped so much will just be an eyesore.

Yup thanks to Malcore, I eventually found it.

Kinda funny, so it looks like the "First 2 Millionth Active Cache" technically doesn't even meet current guidelines...

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates.

I've seen plenty of listings archived due to breaking this guideline, but of course the reviewer has always been reasonable and tried to get the CO to fix things first. Let's see if the CO ever returns to fix this error.

They are after all only guide lines :)