Buying my first code series

Articus66

OK, so I'm going to be designing and creating a limited set of signature coins for the ASPGB VII mega event on May 19. I will be buying 50 codes, and creating about 20 coins. I will etch the first 20 codes into the coins, and place them in caches during the event for people to pick up and keep, put into a collection, whatever.

My question is this. I'd like to be able to watch where the coins go. So, I'm guessing I'll activate the codes first, then place the coin with a message into a little ziplock packet. The message will say that the signature coin is a gift, and it's already been activated so feel free to move it about.

Or, would it be better to leave them unactivated for the finder to designate the mission. If I leave it up to the finder to designate the mission, do I provide the activation code to Groundspeak when I purchase my block of codes? I'm guessing I would simply supply the activation code in the message I will put into the ziplock packet with the coin correct? I'm guessing though I won't be able to see where it goes though if I do this..

Which is better? I want to create other signature items to place in caches for others, and would like to use the codes however is best.

Thanks!

Edited by Articus66

As you are leaving them it is up to you as to whether they are activated or not.

It sounds like you want them to travel, so what you could do it activate them and leave a note that they will be adopted over the the finder.

Otherwise you risk one person rushing in and picking up as many of the unactivated coins as they can find. At least if they are activated that would hopefully dissuade that from happening.

If you activate them and leave them in caches they will be moved and you will be rewarded with emails every time a log is posted to your coins' pages. If you wish to gift them so the emails go to others you can adopt them away to interested parties or leave them unactivated, though this last option also leaves open the possibility it is kept (legitimately) as a trophy. Anything is possible. Try it both ways.... you've got a few to spare! :laughing:

If you activate them and leave them in caches they will be moved and you will be rewarded with emails every time a log is posted to your coins' pages. If you wish to gift them so the emails go to others you can adopt them away to interested parties or leave them unactivated, though this last option also leaves open the possibility it is kept (legitimately) as a trophy. Anything is possible. Try it both ways.... you've got a few to spare! :laughing:

but be sure to save one for trading with me !

ILYK

Hi,

what about putting the coins and the activation code in the zip pocket and altogether in the caches.

You note the tracking codes on a paper and leave that paper at home.

After 2 weeks or so you can look after the coins as you have the tracking codes and put a watch function on the coins if you like.

So the new coin owner gets an unactivated coin, has no problems with adopting the coin and can decide about a mission or putting the coin into his collection.

That would be a perfect gift!

This sounds like a great idea! This way I can watch the coin at my leisure. I looked at the adoption links, and if I'm not mistaken, it would require input from the person "adopting" the coin. I think this would be more of a hassle than a pleasure for someone who just wants to pick it up and simply move it and track it, or put it into their collection.

Now from what I understand, I'll have to give my block of codes a name..is this correct? Can I just name it something like "Signature items by Articus66"? or can I name each code individually?

Hi,

what about putting the coins and the activation code in the zip pocket and altogether in the caches.

You note the tracking codes on a paper and leave that paper at home.

After 2 weeks or so you can look after the coins as you have the tracking codes and put a watch function on the coins if you like.

So the new coin owner gets an unactivated coin, has no problems with adopting the coin and can decide about a mission or putting the coin into his collection.

That would be a perfect gift!

OK, so for example if I use 25 of these codes for my signature item at the Geobash, I could assign the group the name "ASP GeoBash 2013" and if I decide to make a group of 25 for the next years event, I could name it "ASP GeoBash 2014"?

You need to create a block name for the codes for each design usually. All the designs must be preapproved by Groundspeak as well. Annie can give you the sheet to fill out for your trackable group's name and then you can even assign custom icons to any group of 50 or more of the same name.

OK, so for example if I use 25 of these codes for my signature item at the Geobash, I could assign the group the name "ASP GeoBash 2013" and if I decide to make a group of 25 for the next years event, I could name it "ASP GeoBash 2014"?

You need to create a block name for the codes for each design usually. All the designs must be preapproved by Groundspeak as well. Annie can give you the sheet to fill out for your trackable group's name and then you can even assign custom icons to any group of 50 or more of the same name.

What it says in the pinned 'tracking' thread is:

"2. If 50 codes or more are ordered, >> a << custom name may be requested."

I believe what they mean is that ONE name can be assigned to the block of 50+.

As suggested above, it is best to contact Groundspeak directly. That way you get 'the real deal' on details and info, not from us minions in the trenches - :laughing: .

Send your inquiry direct to: (annie at Groundspeak.com) ... obviously replacing '@' in the appropriate place.

Edited by nevadanick