Even Dave Ulmer agrees...

AKStafford

Here's a very interesting interview with Dave Ulmer, the original geocacher, who says he doesn't geocache because most of the caches out there aren't worth finding.

http://www.podcacher.com/2013/02/show-409-0-dave-ulmer-reminisces/

I know this topic gets a lot of discussion on these forums, but I think this serves one more reminder to be creative in your hides. Don't just hang a bison in the tree and call it a cache. Give me a reason to find your hide. Bring me to an interesting spot. Help me get more out of cache than just another smiley face.

Wasn't the first cache just a P&G?

On top of that is was muggled and/or destroyed very soon after publication with no maintanence ever done.

And it was buried and it contained food and cigarettes.

SO at that time 100% of all caches were lame.

Edited by Roman!

From what I heard from Dave here on these forums a couple of years back, Dave does geocache, just not as much as before, and doesn't log his finds. (Dave came on the forums for the 10th anniversary of either geocaching, or geocaching.com, can't remember which)

I agree with the OP that you should make your cache cool. Either a great location, or a fun cache, or a tough challenge, or something. Another cache just like the one 20 others just like it that I have already found are not really very fun.

All that said, if you are not having fun, you just need to tweak your PQ, and voila, better caches. They may not be as close to your house as all the other 'lame' caches, kind of like the old days.

I kind of do this already. In the winter I pull a Winter Friendly PQ and use that exclusively. Much thinner density. I recently pulled a Terrain greater than or equal to 2.5. I plan to use that over the summer. Suddenly, the caches are more to my liking.

My personal feeling is to stop whining, and get out there and find some fun caches.

Here's a very interesting interview with Dave Ulmer, the original geocacher, who says he doesn't geocache because most of the caches out there aren't worth finding.

I know this topic gets a lot of discussion on these forums, but I think this serves one more reminder to be creative in your hides. Don't just hang a bison in the tree and call it a cache. Give me a reason to find your hide. Bring me to an interesting spot. Help me get more out of cache than just another smiley face.

Yet when others say it...they are whiners. Funny how that works!

Unabowler.................It doesn't surprise me that you have no idea who Dave Ulmer is, as you are considered a "newbie" in the geocaching world. For your information, Dave Ulmer placed the first geocache in Oregon and is considred the Father of Geocaching. Of course, you probably never heard of WWII or Vietnam either.............

Thanks for reminding me that George Washington owned slaves.

While we probably owe Dave Ulmer a bit of thanks for hiding something and posting coordinates as a test of whether people could use a GPS to find it once selective availability was turned off, it doesn't make him the Father of Geocaching. While he was around in the early days and gave his inputs, others were far more responsible for 1) the name "geocaching", 2) the idea of a website where caches would be listed and where finds could be logged, 3) the development of GPS and smartphone applications to make the activity accessible to more people, etc.

Yet when others say it...they are whiners. Funny how that works!

Only some of them. :ph34r:

If I'm going to idolize anyone I'll probably choose briansnat. Clearheaded and Straight-forward as anyone I've ever dealt with when it comes to geocaching.

How about we not idolize anyone. I've always been a fan of judging arguments by their own merit, divorcing them from the reputation of their originator. An idea is not true or false by who says it, but by what it is. A discussion of ideas beats a discussion of personalities every time.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

If I'm going to idolize anyone I'll probably choose briansnat. Clearheaded and Straight-forward as anyone I've ever dealt with when it comes to geocaching.

How about we not idolize anyone. I've always been a fan of judging arguments by their own merit, divorcing them from the reputation of their originator. An idea is not true or false by who says it, but by what it is. A discussion of ideas beats a discussion of personalities every time.

Unless of course if a person lives and breathes daily what they say, argue and talk about. In that case there is no difference between them and their ideas. I believe briansnat is an example of that. As are some others I've met around here.

Unless of course if a person lives and breathes daily what they say, argue and talk about. In that case there is no difference between them and their ideas. I believe briansnat is an example of that. As are some others I've met around here.

Though I'm not a moderator in this forum, I think the discussion here is about Dave Ulmer and his vision for the sport. Heck, even being mentioned in the same thread swells my head so much that blood is gushing out of my ears right now (now I have to clean the couch before the wife gets home tomorrow), but I think the mods in this forum would appreciate us staying on topic.

Edited by briansnat

Though I agree with Dave, it's no longer his game.

If Dave Ulmer feels that this version of geocaching is lame, nothing is stopping him from creating a geocaching website that caters to what he wants geocaching to be. Or at least hide the kind of caches he'd like to find. Sounds like someone who would rather whine than do something proactive.

Unabowler.................It doesn't surprise me that you have no idea who Dave Ulmer is, as you are considered a "newbie" in the geocaching world. For your information, Dave Ulmer placed the first geocache in Oregon and is considred the Father of Geocaching. Of course, you probably never heard of WWII or Vietnam either.............

The worst thing about geocaching is the condescending attitude and personal attacks by people who have been in the game for a relatively long time. The person who invented it doesn't get to dictate what everyone else does.

As geocaching became more popular, it is a fact the overall level of caches has gone down. Yet there are still smart caches worth the find.

The real issue is how to "find" them in the listings, in an area ? Of course its popularity can't be used. The difficulty level gives an idea but yet incomplete, to read the logs is time consuming.

OK, there must be caches for everyone, but not just for the lazy, not very bright one, smart and courageous people are entitled too :)

Usually, equality leads to mediocrity, so let's not forget people who are more equals !

Oh please, the guy promotes the most ridiculous official greeting there is, and advocates spilling vegetable soup down your front to distract muggles from asking what you are doing.

He's a fun guy to meet in a bar, but I wouldn't idolize him. :laughing:

Edited by wimseyguy

When Dave placed the first "stash," wrote the first FAQ, and placed other hides I am sure he did not envision that there would be close to two million listed on this site and that a large number would be micros (or nanos) placed nearly everywhere. I also am not sure that Matt Stum realized what would be called a "cache" when he came up with the name.

For that matter, when Mike Teague developed the first listing service I doubt he envisioned that a newcomer would register geocaching as a domain, obtain the existing listings and go on to incorporate Grounded and all that it has become.

In any event, within a short time, Dave was already spinning off ideas for a new urban "GeoDiskCaching" or "GeoCoded Cyber Stash" and people began to argue that the game had to be kept to physical containers.

To his credit, Dave did not attempt to rule the game he started. I appreciate his opinions and find interviews with him or Mike to be interesting. But while I agree with the OP about the importance of location, the game has moved in far different directions - it has moved in far different directions from the time I first discovered it. I am often wondering about whether it will hold my interest and that feeling must be multiplied for those who were here from the start.

Oh please, the guy promotes the most ridiculous official greeting there is, and advocates spilling vegetable soup down your front to distract muggles from asking what you are doing.

WHAT! Briansnat is HUMAN and Dave Ulmer doesn't like the way the game has gone! Another couple of Myths shattered. LOL

While I'm not a fan of lame caches and will pass them by when I can, there are still many great ones out there, found one yesterday.

Captain Nemo aka another Brian

The worst thing about geocaching is the condescending attitude and personal attacks by people who have been in the game for a relatively long time. The person who invented it doesn't get to dictate what everyone else does.

Agreed on both counts.

I've seen a fair number of emotionally charged and mean-spirited posts in the short time I've been in these forums. Hard to believe people get so worked up about it or treat 'newbies' so poorly when all they want to do is get answers or ask for help or advice.

Frankly, I think the game has grown large enough now that anyone can get what they want out of it. If you want sheer numbers, FTFs, challenges, mysteries, scenic vistas...or any and all of the above and more...you can have that without having to spoil it for anyone else.

The person who invented it doesn't get to dictate what everyone else does.

Just to be clear, Dave has never attempted to do this and the OP was not suggesting this. The people who incorporated the listing service have far more power. But still, I always find Dave's thoughts to be interesting,

When Dave placed the first "stash," wrote the first FAQ, and placed other hides I am sure he did not envision that there would be close to two million listed on this site and that a large number would be micros (or nanos) placed nearly everywhere. I also am not sure that Matt Stum realized what would be called a "cache" when he came up with the name.

For that matter, when Mike Teague developed the first listing service I doubt he envisioned that a newcomer would register geocaching as a domain, obtain the existing listings and go on to incorporate Grounded and all that it has become.

In any event, within a short time, Dave was already spinning off ideas for a new urban "GeoDiskCaching" or "GeoCoded Cyber Stash" and people began to argue that the game had to be kept to physical containers.

To his credit, Dave did not attempt to rule the game he started. I appreciate his opinions and find interviews with him or Mike to be interesting. But while I agree with the OP about the importance of location, the game has moved in far different directions - it has moved in far different directions from the time I first discovered it. I am often wondering about whether it will hold my interest and that feeling must be multiplied for those who were here from the start.

Holy crud, I think I might be the first to idolize Geodarts. This is a great post^^^^^, and I agree with everything in it.

You might want to add that Dave never expected people to call his first cache a Park-n-grab, say it was lame, or point out the violations of guidelines as decreed by Geocaching.com several years later. Which was predictably, the first post. From a predictable source, I might add. :ph34r:

Agreed on both counts.

I've seen a fair number of emotionally charged and mean-spirited posts in the short time I've been in these forums. Hard to believe people get so worked up about it or treat 'newbies' so poorly when all they want to do is get answers or ask for help or advice.

Frankly, I think the game has grown large enough now that anyone can get what they want out of it. If you want sheer numbers, FTFs, challenges, mysteries, scenic vistas...or any and all of the above and more...you can have that without having to spoil it for anyone else.

OK, agreed on both counts too, sort of. I don't think Flatiron and Mrs. Wrangler should have went with the WWII or Vietnam references. But on the other hand, unabowler's statement was, I have to say, kind of ridiculous, along the lines of saying, "I never heard of Henry Ford, but if he doesn't like the way automobiles have developed, he can ride a horse."

Not that I idolize Dave Ulmer or anything. I already said I idolize Geodarts. :lol:

One of the recurring topics on this board is the state of the game, how great is used to be, and how it's not so great now. As for the people who don't like micro and power trails and the other things that are part of the game now, how bad do you really find the game, overall, at this point in time? If you really consider it to be that bad, why do it?

One of the recurring topics on this board is the state of the game, how great is used to be, and how it's not so great now. As for the people who don't like micro and power trails and the other things that are part of the game now, how bad do you really find the game, overall, at this point in time? If you really consider it to be that bad, why do it?

I haven't stopped eating ice cream just because in most places I can only get soft-serve. :mmraspberry:

As with anything else, old timers like to remember how things once were. Geocaching has changed since the early days. There are a lot more caches and a lot more people geocaching representing a much broader demographic.

For many old timers the new style has brought many caches that seem a bit like soft-serve ice cream - cheap and covenient, but a lower quality than old-fashion ice cream. They prefer caches in the style of the older caches and for the most part can continue to enjoy geocaching because there are plenty being placed that are in the style they like. The main difficulty is identifying these caches. A lot of the complaints/suggestions in the forums are for ways to make it easier to identify caches done in the old style. Some old timers truly believe that certain new styles are bad for the game (caches are hidden in places that can cause a problem even when permission is given or power-trails multiply the chances that a land manager or state hiqhway department will take notice and end up putting restrictions on all caches).

I haven't stopped eating ice cream just because in most places I can only get soft-serve. :mmraspberry:

As with anything else, old timers like to remember how things once were. Geocaching has changed since the early days. There are a lot more caches and a lot more people geocaching representing a much broader demographic.

For many old timers the new style has brought many caches that seem a bit like soft-serve ice cream - cheap and covenient, but a lower quality than old-fashion ice cream. They prefer caches in the style of the older caches and for the most part can continue to enjoy geocaching because there are plenty being placed that are in the style they like. The main difficulty is identifying these caches. A lot of the complaints/suggestions in the forums are for ways to make it easier to identify caches done in the old style. Some old timers truly believe that certain new styles are bad for the game (caches are hidden in places that can cause a problem even when permission is given or power-trails multiply the chances that a land manager or state hiqhway department will take notice and end up putting restrictions on all caches).

According to the OP, Dave Ullmer no longer geocaches because he doesn't consider most caches to be worth finding. Evidently the proliferation of soft-serve has caused him to cease eating ice cream altogether, following your analogy. I said, to each his own.

It really amuses me to hear phrases like "old-timers" and "early days" when talking about something that hasn't even officially hit its teenage years yet...

Smartphones weren't invented yet, handheld GPS unit's were the size of small shoeboxes and were much less accurate (I could go on). Nothing to be amused about there. :P

According to the OP, Dave Ullmer no longer geocaches because he doesn't consider most caches to be worth finding. Evidently the proliferation of soft-serve has caused him to cease eating ice cream altogether, following your analogy. I said, to each his own.

Yeah...it's one thing to be burnt out on the game and just not want to play anymore. Another thing entirely to make it sound like everyone else who's playing it is wasting their time.

Not that recurring, although a certain Weather aficionado has been harping on it around here lately. :unsure: I still do it, and probably always will, because with a near expoential increase in the number caches, comes in an increase in the number of the type that I'm interested in finding (Regulars and smalls, with the occasional micro in nice locations in parks, along bike trails, or on undeveloped wooded property). Not a great increase in those types in my area, but still an increase over the number that were being placed in say 2003 and 2004, when every cache (in my area) was "good".

And when I travel, I never have to worry. There's pretty much an endless supply of those type which I like.

Not that recurring, although a certain Weather aficionado has been harping on it around here lately. :unsure: I still do it, and probably always will, because with a near expoential increase in the number caches, comes in an increase in the number of the type that I'm interested in finding (Regulars and smalls, with the occasional micro in nice locations in parks, along bike trails, or on undeveloped wooded property). Not a great increase in those types in my area, but still an increase over the number that were being placed in say 2003 and 2004, when every cache (in my area) was "good".

And when I travel, I never have to worry. There's pretty much an endless supply of those type which I like.

I would guess that in my local area almost all of the caches that were here in 2004 were "good" caches, in the way that you describe, and the proportion is much lower now. However, in terms of raw numbers there are many, many more "good" caches now. There are really good hiders here, several who have been in the game since the early days, and who have really hit their stride and continute to place great caches. I just don't get it when old timers complain. But there's plenty of other stuff they can do if they don't like the state of the game.

The mass of chaff does make it more difficult for the discerning cacher to find the sort of caches he enjoys. There may be many more "good" caches than there were 8 years ago but picking them out is a lot more difficult. The days when you could load your GPS and use it to take you to fascinating places are over. The numbers hounds rule geocaching today and there is little room for the traditionalists.

I stick with the sport because I know those gems are still out there. I can't imagine leaving the sport but to anyone looking at my profile stats it's obvious that my urge to find geocaches isn't what it was. I just don't feel like wading through the chaff these days.

They prefer caches in the style of the older caches and for the most part can continue to enjoy geocaching because there are plenty being placed that are in the style they like. The main difficulty is identifying these caches.

Poppycock...Those big green splotches on the map are park lands. If you read the numbers on the lines in those funny looking topo maps, they tell you something about the terrain. If you click on the little icons in those areas, they tell you the size of the container. Where is the difficulty?

Yeah well, I also idolize squid, so what do I know? :ph34r:

The fact of the matter is that if the masses considered these caches "lame" as you do, they would stop looking for them and in turn, cachers would stop hiding them.

Clearly, people like them.

No, I think people do consider them lame and logs them for the stat anyway. Just not everyone admits it.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

While we probably owe Dave Ulmer a bit of thanks for hiding something and posting coordinates as a test of whether people could use a GPS to find it once selective availability was turned off, it doesn't make him the Father of Geocaching. While he was around in the early days and gave his inputs, others were far more responsible for 1) the name "geocaching", 2) the idea of a website where caches would be listed and where finds could be logged, 3) the development of GPS and smartphone applications to make the activity accessible to more people, etc.

You both have it wrong - Al Gore invented geocaching.

Here is a blog which sums up some thoughts about it.

The Golden Age of Geocaching 2000-2004 (the first five years)

I was not around, but have talked to enough people, and followed enough threads to put a few things together. Remember that GPS units in the first few years of geocaching were expensive. The crappy ones that we take for granted now were expensive. Few people had them, and maps were another expensive addition to the models sold. Also, why did you have them? Avid hunters, backwoods explorers, would get them to help them out.

So caching was in the hands of the well off, well to do (for the most part). Few caches were out. When they were placed they were planned out, well stocked and people traveled to them on purpose. When you arrived you brought something to trade, you knew how many caches you wanted to go to. Each cache had to be put in by hand, usually off of a printout that you carried with you. Downloading a Pocket Query into a GPS was unheard of.

Trackables were carefully monitored. There were not many caches at that point so it was rather simple.

Caches themselves were placed with care. I want to take someone to a cool out of the way location. In fact I have heard from caches that tried to place micros, or caches in cities that were mocked and ridiculed by other cachers saying "that is not geocaching"

The Silver Age of Geocaching 2005-2009

you started to see a huge shift. Low priced gps units started to appear. And the flow of caches started to migrate to the cities. Cachers could start to load multiple caches into their GPS units. Paperless caching became the buzzword. GPS units that could carry all of a cache page were being pushed by retailers, and others carried old Palm Pilots, or other handheld devices where they could load the Pocket Queries into.

It is during this period that caching really exploded. The lower cost units started to bring in many cachers that before could not afford a GPS. Better/cheap/free maps began to appear to allow people to track and follow their movements. Groundspeak significantly improved its site and offerings.

What happened? Well micros boomed. they were scattered hither and yon as times went on. You could now find a cache during your lunch break, family visits, at a church or shopping mall near you. More people were interested, and things literally exploded.

Trackables were starting to be carried to every horrible cache by people. People would find a cache under a park bush and drop a trackable. A cache that kids would easily find and steal. So many travel bugs ended up in some kids dresser on in the trash. Some coins were stolen, there are a number of cachers out there that started to hoard coins. Stolen coins that were traveling that found their way into a collection.

The swag quality dropped. Rather than trading nice things, you began to see the average cacher carry less, or cheap toys. People would take, and never replace. So older caches began to be filled with poorer and poorer quality stuff. Basically if they were unmaintained, they were trash heaps.

Modern Age 2010-

Where are we now? Cell phones and free programs mean that just about everyone can cache. Everyone that wants to try out this new thing can find a few. That also means that people that have no idea what is going on, or what is considered polite, are out there finding caches.

I have seen parents take kids to a cache and drain it of everything. Take the trackables off chains and drop the chains back in the cache. Carry off coins not knowing what to do. Things have changed.

Power trails have appeared in the last few years. ET highway is the most notable. People have started to travel great distances to accomplish challenges, trails, etc. Geotourism is popular in some ares. I see (in Utah) a large number that travel to accomplish their caching goals. I have met a number of people coming to visit to grab all the caches they can