Caching parking and pubs

Geolab&Co

Hello I'm a newbie to this but I have noticed from some of the locally caches that they mention parking in pub car parks going for a cache and then a drink etc after wards.

I have never frequented the pubs but I can see my caching trails are going to perhaps be longer than I would walk so drinks and conveniences could well be useful

But I don't feel comfortable about this is it normal behaviour for people whether they be cachers walkers ramblers etc to use pub car park

I can imagine not frequenting the pubs before or after would be somewhat rude

Just looking for some adivse sorry if this sounds a bit daft

Hoping to enlist the help of some geokids at the weekend so a pub stop might be a over experience for us all

As I own a pub in north Wales and speak from experience. I have no objection to people parking their car in my car park as long as they ask permission to do so

I have many fishermen and walkers that do just that many of which do not use the pub at that time but may return one day for a meal etc,

What is annoying is people that think they can just abandon their car and go off and do whatever it is they are doing, without so much as asking.

I do get my revenge though, as I have a large 4x4 and can park it across the entrance to the car park, so they have to come in to get me to move it.

Most cache series (or individual caches) that incorporate a pub car park will have had the CO specifically ask permission for cachers to use the car park and will then record this fact in the cache listing. I would think that most pubs would probably welcome and encourage the likelihood that cachers/walkers would then eat/drink there afterwards.

However, common courtesy would still lead me to ask permission if I was off for a few hours.

I regard it as a matter of courtesy to ask if I'm going to park and go for a long walk even if I do plan to eat and drink at the pub when I return. Otherwise they just see yet another car that doesn't correspond to another customer.

Of course they have no way of knowing whether I'm actually going to eat and drink, or whether "eat and drink" means a bag of crisps and a pint of tap water, but at least it suggests I'm not freeloading off them.

As I own a pub in north Wales and speak from experience. I have no objection to people parking their car in my car park as long as they ask permission to do so

I have many fishermen and walkers that do just that many of which do not use the pub at that time but may return one day for a meal etc,

What is annoying is people that think they can just abandon their car and go off and do whatever it is they are doing, without so much as asking.

I do get my revenge though, as I have a large 4x4 and can park it across the entrance to the car park, so they have to come in to get me to move it.

It's a tricky one. Some pubs aren't open in the morning when you turn up at 6.30 to start your walk; and I'm not convinced by the above that Martin would really like me to hammer on his door until he comes out, merely to ask if it's OK for me to stick my car in one of the hundred available spaces. If I return at 11.30 to find his 4x4 blocking me in, I may well be rather less inclined to take my lunch at his establishment and will probably drive on to somewhere else (once released by said grumpy landlord).

Because of such complications I tend to avoid pub car parks altogether when out walking or caching and would only recommend one if I was certain that the pub and all the staff are always going to be totally relaxed about potential customers using the facility. Not an easy thing to guarantee. There's usually a handy verge or layby near the start of the footpath, and this is usually the best spot to waypoint.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

It's a tricky one. Some pubs aren't open in the morning when you turn up at 6.30 to start your walk; and I'm not convinced by the above that Martin would really like me to hammer on his door until he comes out, merely to ask if it's OK for me to stick my car in one of the hundred available spaces. If I return at 11.30 to find his 4x4 blocking me in, I may well be rather less inclined to take my lunch at his establishment and will probably drive on to somewhere else (once released by said grumpy landlord).

Because of such complications I tend to avoid pub car parks altogether when out walking or caching and would only recommend one if I was certain that the pub and all the staff are always going to be totally relaxed about potential customers using the facility. Not an easy thing to guarantee. There's usually a handy verge or layby near the start of the footpath, and this is usually the best spot to waypoint.

Turn up at 6.30 to go caching not a chance here im afraid if I'm with the kids I will be lucky to get them shifting by midday lol

Thank you everyone for your replies they have been very helpful

I agree that I would not appreciate you banging on my door at 6.30am. But you could push a note through the letter box, to let the pub owner now that the car is not just abandoned there, and you will return later in the day to retrieve it. And may even call in to have a drink and or meal

Just a bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

Village Halls are my favourite, as opposed to pubs; although I run the gauntlet of being blocked in by Zumba classes, etc., most Halls I come across don't seem to mind visitor parking. I've come across a couple that had an honesty box, to pop a pound in for the privilege - I was quite happy to do so.

I agree that I would not appreciate you banging on my door at 6.30am. But you could push a note through the letter box, to let the pub owner now that the car is not just abandoned there, and you will return later in the day to retrieve it. And may even call in to have a drink and or meal

Just a bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

It's about using common sense, and I agree with you really.

But I just wouldn't risk it TBH, as I wouldn't know whether the landlord is a polite and reasonable type like yourself or whether the note would cause him to see red and block my car in so that he can have a rant. After all, I'm being presumptious by assuming that he's given me permission just because I've left a polite note. The fact that I'm never going to come back, and I'll tell all my friends to avoid the place, wouldn't cut any ice to the unreasonable.

I'm not a pub landlord, but if I was and had a good-size car park out in the countryside I'd put up a big sign to let people know that it's a free car park for all to use. No need for the shy to be worried about having to find the landlord and grovel, and it would act as a great advertising ploy, letting all and sundry know how friendly we are in the pub. Obviously this wouldn't be practical in all situations, but if it is I'd be quite happy to take the hit of some cars wearing down the tarmac and never buying anything. It's similar to a shop keeping the door open and allowing anyone in, whether they are buying or just sheltering from the rain.

I did once know someone who threw "browsers" out unless they promised to make a purchase. A good way to go out of business! They'll also tell their friends...

I must admit, we never park in pub car parks unless we are actually going to the pub and not on a caching trip. We have used Village halls in the past and have never been questioned or approached for doing so. Generally though, we find somewhere sensible on the road. I agree, if I had a pub I would erect a big sign saying, 'ALL Welcome'. Bring your goat, bring your kids, bring your dog, bring your leopard (on a big chain) etc. With pubs closing down hand over fist, I’ve never really understood why they increase the risk of closure by not permitting certain ‘types’.

To be honest, I wouldn’t want to find out the hard way, that the Landlord/Lady wasn’t happy about non-patrons using the car park. I understand that we could seek the Landlord/lady out and ask him/her for permission but to be honest, once we get out of the car, we just want to get walking.

There are many facets to this.

I am on the management committee of a small village social club. We have a few parking spaces - about 20. One of our problems is, despite notices saying parking is for patrons only, during the day we do get people nipping in to park to go shopping, and more seriously office workers parking for the working day. The result is that at times our members cannot park on our private land - which is a far from ideal situation.

On the rare occassions I have been approached by people asking to park I usually tell them it would not be practical and explain why. The majority of people accept this and move on.

The lack of adequate parking spaces provided for our ever growing population does nothing to help..........

There are many facets to this.

I am on the management committee of a small village social club. We have a few parking spaces - about 20. One of our problems is, despite notices saying parking is for patrons only, during the day we do get people nipping in to park to go shopping, and more seriously office workers parking for the working day. The result is that at times our members cannot park on our private land - which is a far from ideal situation.

On the rare occassions I have been approached by people asking to park I usually tell them it would not be practical and explain why. The majority of people accept this and move on.

The lack of adequate parking spaces provided for our ever growing population does nothing to help..........

I agree that where there are barely sufficient parking spaces, then there's going to have to be some sort of restriction. I suspect that in your case people are assuming that the social club is only open in the evenings, and the signage doesn't make it clear that there are times in the day when the car park is likely to be used by members. Or perhaps there are a lot of ignorant people around!

I did park in a village hall car park once last year on the advice of a cache owner whose series I was attempting. It seemed a quiet and safe place on a midweek morning. But when I returned to the car park it was full (even though just after lunch time) as parents were picking up kids from a school. As you mention, there was nowhere else to park, however. Villages often have a narrow main street with no parking spots. I think that village officials must have the idea that anyone who needs to visit can catch that once-a-day bus.

But how would 'genuine' customers get into the car park if there's a 4x4 parked across the entrance? Wouldn't they go elsewhere? Seems a bit excessive to turn away a whole days customers for the sake of one 'unidentified' car in the car park. To be honest, when was the last time anyone was asked for their number plate when they went into a pub? So, (unless you're turning up at 6:30am) how would the landlord ever know you're not in the pub unless it's only a small pub with a small car park in which case I would suggest parking elsewhere anyway. As with most things in life it's really just about common sense.

Micky TP

But how would 'genuine' customers get into the car park if there's a 4x4 parked across the entrance? Wouldn't they go elsewhere? Seems a bit excessive to turn away a whole days customers for the sake of one 'unidentified' car in the car park. To be honest, when was the last time anyone was asked for their number plate when they went into a pub? So, (unless you're turning up at 6:30am) how would the landlord ever know you're not in the pub unless it's only a small pub with a small car park in which case I would suggest parking elsewhere anyway. As with most things in life it's really just about common sense.

Micky TP

Most of the time people visiting Martin's pub park at the front of the building where there is space for somthing like 10 cars, A lot of the time the main car park is empty except when there is an event on, then it's full of cachers cars.

I Really wish the countryside was opened up more to any walker and the paths better maintained. I will admit to never understanding why people went rambling and the like but since having our pooch i LOVE walking and geocaching has given it a whole new dimension. I love getting out in the countryside and if my achy old bod ever lets me walk more than 4/5 miles i will be getting out and rambling and cahing more. It's such a lovely place to be our countryside but i do agree there is a lack of parking out in the rural areas for any activity. And i doubt the bus drivers would be happy with muddy covered walking boots and soggy doggies jumping aboard especially if saif soggy doggy decides to shake herself dry in the isles.

We once did a caching walk in a village near Whitby. we parked up in a carpark that was shared between the pub and the village hall, it looked like it was a community facility. As we left the pub landlord appeared and very aggresively demanded that we move the car. It certainly meant we didn't use the pub at the end of the walk. When we returned just before opening time the carpark was as empty as when we started.

We once did a caching walk in a village near Whitby. we parked up in a carpark that was shared between the pub and the village hall, it looked like it was a community facility. As we left the pub landlord appeared and very aggresively demanded that we move the car. It certainly meant we didn't use the pub at the end of the walk. When we returned just before opening time the carpark was as empty as when we started.

I hope you wrote to the pub and let him know how much trade his customer-friendly attitude cost him :)