Can parts of Ibycus Topo Canada be Loaded on a MicroSD

4evrCking

Hi,

After reading a lot of posts here, and also looking at the video tutors, I was able to download and create a Ibtcus Topo DVD for use with MapSource. I can view the maps in MapSource.

What I would like to be able to do is to load a few different map areas of Canada onto several MicroSD for my Garmin 450 from the Ibycus Canadian topo map.

I understand that I can load sections of the Canada map directly into the Garmin 450 from MapSource but I will be limited by the unused Garmin 450 memory size. This means I would have to reload the Garmin 450 everytime I want different section of the Ibycus Canada map.

I do have the Garmin Topo Maps (Eastern) that are loaded on a MicroSD and all I have to do is to put the MicroSD into the Garmin 450 to use their topo map. I would like to be able to do this with the Ibycus map.

My question is, is there anyway I can selected sections of the Ibycus Canadian topo map, then save the selected section onto a MicroSD card that I can just put into my Garmin 450 when I want to use that section of the map?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne Miller

Sure. With either Mapsource or Mapinstall you can select whatever tiles you want. With Mapsource, you will need to rename the file created (gmapsupp.img) to something else before you send the next segment. There is not a huge reason to do this other than to avoid maximum segment limits, if there are any, or to fit on a small card.

Hi Red90,

I have tried what you suggested, but perhaps I'm missing something.

I am using MapSource.

What I did was to:

1. Select the area of the map I wanted

2. Went to FILE and SAVE AS

3. Saved the file to my MicroSD card as a .gbd (selected from drop down list)

4. Then changed the extention to .img

5. Installed the card in my Garmin 450

6. The Garmin 450 does not recognize the file

I then tried to "SEND TO DEVICE", but it will not let me send it to the MicroSD card.

What am I doiing wrong? Somehow I think I have to get a .img file to the MicroSD card.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller

4evrCking

(4 evr C king)

Edited by 4evrCking

The save as method is not for making a map.

The "send to" is the correct way. What version of Mapsource are you using? I can't remember if it lets you choose an SD card that is in the unit. Do you have any choice of devices when you do a "send to"? If not, you can put the card into a reader and install to the card that way. The card reader is usually better anyway as the transfer speed are MUCH faster.

Mapinstall will allow direct install to the card as well as better naming control and such. It is a little harder to do some things, but is better for that.

Edited by Red90

The save as method is not for making a map.

The "send to" is the correct way. What version of Mapsource are you using? I can't remember if it lets you choose an SD card that is in the unit. Do you have any choice of devices when you do a "send to"? If not, you can put the card into a reader and install to the card that way. The card reader is usually better anyway as the transfer speed are MUCH faster.

Mapinstall will allow direct install to the card as well as better naming control and such. It is a little harder to do some things, but is better for that.

Hi Red90,

The Version of MapSource I have is 6.16.3 and when I check for updates I have the latest version.

The only selection I have for "Send To" is "import" or "export", there is no option to send to a drive.

I'll take a look at MapInstall.

The Ibycus automatically went to MapSource.

Is there anything special I have to do to get the Ibycus maps into MapInstall?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Wayne

Hi,

I downloaded MapInstall. The Ibycus maps automatically showed. I plugged in the MicroSD card into a USB port, then selected the map area I wanted and was able to store it on the MicroSD card. I plugged the card into the Garmin Oregon 450 and it works fine.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller