young cachers

Off Grid

When I first came into geocaching I thought it was aimed at young people and kids well the whole time I've geocached I've never seen one kid they have all been well over '40 years of age its like the thread of the why are there only white people geocaching why are there only old people geocaching ?

Hi Off Grid.

I went to a local event back in October. Maybe you're town is different, but at the event it was definitely not an old people's game.

A lot of those people regularly bring their kids when they go caching and I met a lot of them. The organizers even made a kid-friendly multicache.

The fact a lot of cachers are caucasian has been observed before here on the forum, but a reason hasn't really been found. I guess the only way to counter that is introduce more people of other races to the game.

When I first came into geocaching I thought it was aimed at young people and kids well the whole time I've geocached I've never seen one kid they have all been well over '40 years of age its like the thread of the why are there only white people geocaching why are there only old people geocaching ?

What leads you to believe it is "aimed at young people and kids"? Adults have their own transportation and more disposable income than kids, generally, I guess that's part of the reason. But I guess us "old" people aren't supposed to participate in any interesting hobbies, right? Just bingo and bridge, that's the life for me....😶

You need to attend a few events. You will meet people of all ages, from tots to old geezers,(like me :P )

(Plus you will get the chance to meet people and maybe lose the feeling everyone is picking on you in their logs. B):) )

I think the reason most swag is child oriented is because most older cacher I know really don't trade out as much. The kids seem to like that part of caching, and the swag reflects that.

Lots of families with children cache. At both events and in the "wild" I've met lots of families with children.

I also know young adults(e.g. university students, 18-22 age range) who cache.

Though I agree there are probably more older cachers then there are teenagers.

i wish i could find someone in that age group age 18-30

I'm 43 and I take my kids out quite a bit. But I only know of a couple of cachers in their teens/early 20s around my neck of the woods that cache. Given the inherent silliness of this thing, it's not a game for the overly self-concious. It takes people a few years of life experience to stop caring what other people think. Some, sadly, never get it. While caching isn't for everyone, it's certainly *not* an activity for people who are worried about what strangers think about them..

I'm 43 and I take my kids out quite a bit. But I only know of a couple of cachers in their teens/early 20s around my neck of the woods that cache. Given the inherent silliness of this thing, it's not a game for the overly self-concious. It takes people a few years of life experience to stop caring what other people think. Some, sadly, never get it. While caching isn't for everyone, it's certainly *not* an activity for people who are worried about what strangers think about them..

And this game often requires boatloads of patience. Not something most young people have an abundance of.

What leads you to believe it is "aimed at young people and kids"? Adults have their own transportation and more disposable income than kids, generally, I guess that's part of the reason. But I guess us "old" people aren't supposed to participate in any interesting hobbies, right? Just bingo and bridge, that's the life for me....

Plus, old people probably need more exercise than young people and kids.

Perhaps if someone could come up with a clever, exotic sounding name for doing a power trail (Zumba and Tae Bo are already taken), it could be promoted as the latest exercise craze and become more popular than it already is.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I'm 15 and my parents only geocache when I go out caching. Discovered the game in 2010 when visiting some old friends in another state on vacation. Thought the concept was "cool" and tried it out on my own. Didn't work out too well at first, then came back to the game in the summer of last year and I haven't looked back since.

To be honest, coming from a "younger" person, teenagers just don't see a point in the game, and therefore it would have no meaning to them. I like caching for numerous reasons, especially puzzle caches. Tests my mental ability and then the finds always seem to be relatively easy.

I realize this has become an older man's game, but that has not discouraged me. I get along very well with other cachers (with the exception of one member, no names) and I feel that I do pretty well for someone who doesn't have a car and someone who needs a ride to go out caching, while still balancing tough classes in school.

I'm 15 and my parents only geocache when I go out caching. Discovered the game in 2010 when visiting some old friends in another state on vacation. Thought the concept was "cool" and tried it out on my own. Didn't work out too well at first, then came back to the game in the summer of last year and I haven't looked back since.

To be honest, coming from a "younger" person, teenagers just don't see a point in the game, and therefore it would have no meaning to them. I like caching for numerous reasons, especially puzzle caches. Tests my mental ability and then the finds always seem to be relatively easy.

I realize this has become an older man's game, but that has not discouraged me. I get along very well with other cachers (with the exception of one member, no names) and I feel that I do pretty well for someone who doesn't have a car and someone who needs a ride to go out caching, while still balancing tough classes in school.

Good for you. I'd like to see more teenagers out caching with your attitude. On the other hand, I'm kinda glad that Geocaching isn't a mainstream activity. I know adults that would try to ruin it for all just for a selfish thrill.

I guess I count in this demographic, I just turned 27 and have been caching since I was... 24? Something like that.

I will say I do remember stumbling across geocaching when I was like 19 or so (ie in 2005) and did a quick search around the area I was going to university, and quickly realized I a. had no GPS nor money to get one, and b. had no car so I couldn't access any of the caches my search turned up at the time, so I quickly forgot the whole thing until I had a. an iPhone to test it all out on and b. a car. So I suspect more than one person has been held up in geocaching by these two details who's my age.

Further I will note that I know a few people from undergrad who cache, but people my age very rarely show up at events (when I was starting out I'd be the youngest by 20 years). Maybe when you're going out a lot in general and meeting up with friends it's just not as interesting to further expand your social circle like that? I mean I'll freely admit that more than a few times I saw an event at the same time I heard there was an off-campus party, and the geocachers never won that battle for my time. ;)

Finally not to get into an argument here, but I've known more than a few people from my undergrad days who love(d) caching but then quit it when they kept finding micro spew. They'll still look up noteworthy caches when on vacation or whatever, but areas that have many crappy finds that aren't at all worthwhile will lose interest.

^^^ This sums it up perfectly.

Lots of young cachers when there are family teams often because they are out as a family they save time by not having to log online multiple times. There is one young well respected cacher who owns a large number of caches, has hosted a number of events, and, he is only 12! He is one of the minority though as most his age don't have the opertunity to be so involved.

My age can be worked out from my username you can work out where I fall ;)

Further I will note that I know a few people from undergrad who cache, but people my age very rarely show up at events (when I was starting out I'd be the youngest by 20 years).

Awhile back I got a whole bunch of logs on some of my caches from people that had just started. The university where I work has a "for credit" geocaching class, and I've to assume that almost all of the 15-20 finds made during the class were by students that are 18-20 years old. I have no idea if any of them have continued to geocache after that class.

There have certainly been numerous younger geocachers that have participated in the forums and are active geocachers. Ambient Skater is, I believe, in his mid teens and at least was quite active in the forums and although I haven't looked at his profile I assume is a fairly active geocacher.

It started off as an adult game. You needed disposable income to buy a gps unit (the cheapest commercial gps units, when I started (the little yellow etrex) were about $100. You needed a car, gas and insurance. My first and closest cache find was a 45 minute drive away back in 2001. It wasn't a kids game unless that kid was with an adult.

The game is changing now that there are almost 2 million caches. Plenty of urban caches for kids to find on their own with a bike or by walking to the nearest mall or local municipal park. Lots more kids are planting their own caches. I think that they forget that adults play this game. There are some kids that have the maturity level to be cache owners but there are many kids who are not ready for the responsibility of cache ownership.

Here's an example: http://coord.info/GC2G5X3 The kid didn't understand the rules, didn't respond well to criticism, planted on private property with extremely poor coordinates (no one ever found this alleged cache). You can't mess with people, waste their time and gas money without expecting some criticism. An apology (and fixing the problem appropriately) would have been a better response, rather then responding with....."These are the new and best croods to the cache the cache will be place after today so on friday at 5pm this cache will be in it's new place but I activate it but it won't be there today it will be there Nov. 5th at 5pm so don't be confused that it's enabled ok happy caching" and "why and i did not know there was a 161 m limit so y are u being disrepectful".

This is a family friendly game. Kids are welcomed, and take part when supervised by an adult. It's in the guidelines.

And, not all of us are over 40. Many started working with GPS back in 1983, more users were added when SA was turned off in 2001. Most of the folks in the game were at it as another way to use the products that they were already toying with for work or technologically-based play. These professionals were out of college, and that makes them 40+ years old today. Nuf said.

From there, it's all in the guidelines. If you are under 18, you are not supposed to use the site or forums without adult supervision.

Me? I'm mostly thankful that GS waits for 18+ to use the site. It's based on cognitive ability and is rooted in legal adulthood in the US.

I loved reading your post with the wonderful use of punctuation, which made it so clear and easy to understand. Your post is proof that not all young people have no idea what punctuation is for and how to use it. I just hate trying to make sense out of posts that are all run together with no breaks, to the point that I really just quit reading posts by certain (no names) people.

Trust us, they are there just don't come to the forums too often. Mostly because they are busy studying things like punctuation, grammar, etc.

Trust us, they are there just don't come to the forums too often. Mostly because they are busy studying things like punctuation, grammar, etc.

I am 16 and have been a member of geocaching since 2008. I geocache mostly with my younger sister(14), but increasingly on my own. I think it is a great way to have clean fun and find out about new places. I am nearing 300 finds and am not thinking of stopping anytime soon. I own several caches and recently hosted an event...

I dont know if there are many young people(i havent seen that many myself) but if there aren't, they're missing out.. ;)

Edit: Just thought I'd point out that i am homeschooled and i live in australia, if that makes any difference. People can't see how old i am online... The internet is funny like that :)

Edited by Condorito

Good for you. I'd like to see more teenagers out caching with your attitude. On the other hand, I'm kinda glad that Geocaching isn't a mainstream activity. I know adults that would try to ruin it for all just for a selfish thrill.

Thank you. I think it's good exercise, and since I'm younger, I tend to challenge myself on some of the higher terrain caches by doing cross country running and hiking. Plus it's a good learning experience if I stumble upon a puzzle, virtual, or Earth cache.

I loved reading your post with the wonderful use of punctuation, which made it so clear and easy to understand. Your post is proof that not all young people have no idea what punctuation is for and how to use it. I just hate trying to make sense out of posts that are all run together with no breaks, to the point that I really just quit reading posts by certain (no names) people.

Thank you! I deal with a good amount of English in my normal day and as a writer for my school's online newspaper, I take pride in what I put out on the web. Told someone in an interview one time "I wouldn't put anything out on the internet where anyone can see it if I wasn't proud of it." That might sound a little arrogant, but hey, it's the truth! :laughing:

Here in New Zealand we have heaps of cachers below the age of 13. In my area (Wellington) I can count 7 just off the top of my head, and I think there are about 20 or so in total- and we're talking about a city with just over 200,000 residents (yes, NZ is small!) and 250 or so cachers- think about that. I think it may beis a problem with

'I don't want to go outside because it is

Cold or wet or snowing (they have a point there :lol: ), Doesn't have all the bells and whistles or exciting colours, Not cool, isn't new, Doesn't interest me, isn't the TV'

That is why many children are also overweight/ inactive because these are real to them. I love the outdoors, and we need these all children to love them too.

In Sydney we have multiple families who cache (with kids operating the account) or kids by themselves.

I personally am 14 and often use public transport and my bike to find caches (It helps being 1km from a station).

I'll tend to choose high favourite, close to train station (sub)urban hides. Maybe if you prefer bushbashing you'll see less kids (unless they're driven around by their parents.

However I try to make as many events as I can even if that involves driving and if I'm holidaying somewhere I'll be sure to pick up a few caches.

But to answer your question, yes there are kids who cache (you might just not stumble upon them)

Yes, I'm 13 and find it amazing how some other kids have very poor grammar. I hate trying to understand those posts too!

I'm 20 and my other half is 26. I think I'm still "young". (So do all my co workers, parents, most of my friends, ect) I would have loved to have gotten into this when I was much younger, like 12-15 age range. But in all honesty, (at the time) my mom disliked the outdoors unless it was an outdoor mall, my sister preferred to think I didn't exist, and my dad was working. So even if I had known about it, I wouldn't of had anybody that would really support my new hobby.

I'm 26 and love caching, I either cache by myself, with a good friend who is 25 and my brother who is 17. I will agree with the topic starter though, the people who I have come across caching or met at an event are either much younger, or just a little older ;)I have tried to get more people around my age involved and have even brought a few along on a couple caching adventures. Some think its fun, most I believe are worried about the "perception" of what they're doing and stay away. It's a shame, they don't know what they're missing out on.

The better looking half of hzoi was 28 when we started, but that was in 2007. She's 35 tomorrow.

Good news is the average age of team hzoi will drop from 36.5 to 24.3 in about five months or so.

Congratulations!

thanks!

I see a backpack baby carrier in your future and a new GC account for the little one's log entries. Congrats on your soon-to-be young cacher.

Edited by L0ne R

The better looking half of hzoi was 28 when we started, but that was in 2007. She's 35 tomorrow.

Good news is the average age of team hzoi will drop from 36.5 to 24.3 in about five months or so.

Happy Birthday! and looking forward to meeting the 3rd cacher in the family. Will you be in OK by then?

Happy Birthday! and looking forward to meeting the 3rd cacher in the family. Will you be in OK by then?

Oh, that's the best part -- due date and move date = same date. Hooray!

Oh, that's the best part -- due date and move date = same date. Hooray!

Yikes! I hope they will be packing you up because mrs. hzoi might not be doing much of it this time :)

Careful, or some of those "old people" will accuse you of age-ism! ;)