Logging archived First Post caches

Andronicus

I have the archived Fredericton First Post virtual cache on my watch list. I see that it just received a find log, back dated to 2005. The account that logged the find was created in 2009. I hate to think that people are posting fake logs, but this kind of seems odd.

I know that I shouldn't let this kind of stuff bug me, but somehow it does. Seems to cheepen the experience.

I know that OFTH is usually on top of his caches, so I am sure he will ensure appropriate action is taken if needed.

Sometimes kids grow up and want their own geocaching identities, so they create a new account and backlog all the caches they've found with the family's account; sometimes couples split up and the spouse backlogs all the caches they did together, with his/her own new geocaching identity, which is all OK and understandable... and yes, sometimes people are just after the numbers, or the icon, or the date (to fill in a grid), so they fake the find. Sometimes owners even "find" their own caches to up their numbers, and sometimes they, too, will backlog those "finds" to a date they need on their grid. Unfortunate, but all you can do is just shake your head. These people aren't getting the enjoyment out of the game that I am - hikes, fresh air, treasure at the end... aaaah. :)

Sometimes kids grow up and want their own geocaching identities, so they create a new account and backlog all the caches they've found with the family's account; sometimes couples split up and the spouse backlogs all the caches they did together, with his/her own new geocaching identity, which is all OK and understandable... and yes, sometimes people are just after the numbers, or the icon, or the date (to fill in a grid), so they fake the find. Sometimes owners even "find" their own caches to up their numbers, and sometimes they, too, will backlog those "finds" to a date they need on their grid. Unfortunate, but all you can do is just shake your head. These people aren't getting the enjoyment out of the game that I am - hikes, fresh air, treasure at the end... aaaah. :)

Agreed. I know that their are legitimate reasons someone may do this. However, the log didn't suggest any such reason. No mention of backlogging previous finds or any such comment. And like you said, obviously nothing that any of us could do even if it is a fake log. Hopefully it is a legitimate log...

Check their log below the one you mention...same text. Looks like they created a new account and relogged their finds. Perhaps the person most likely wanted their own account where previously they cached under another family member's account. You'll notice the gap in finds for 3 years too right after the other account last logged a find. I see things like this all the time. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about. You can always email the person. I know there is always talk about people cheating, but in my years of caching I only know of 1 person who got caught cheating and they no longer are an active cacher.