What are you using for cache containers these days?

BlueDeuce

Still using ammo cans and peanut butter/ mayo containers. I use the spray insulation on the outside of the P.B./ mayo containers and paint them camo colors. I also shape the insulation and cover with bondo and paint. I made a mushroom once and someone liked it so much they kept it. Same thing happens when I paint up my ammo cans. :laughing:

I still use mostly ammocans and camo duck taped l-n-ls. Spray painted l-n-ls were just failing after about 2 years. Taped ones are doing fine after 7 years. I found some off brand Tupperware with reinforced tabs and a seal - looks like it may hold up well with camo tape - only time will tell. Used food jars never last long around here. I don't hide many micros but if I replace one of my old ones- its with a match safe.

My first cache was a PVC pipe about half a meter long with a pvc lid and base(glued on with plumbers glue i think...)

It is approaching 4 years now and is still fine(other than when some animal tried to eat through the lid, which we later replaced).

Most of the rest(other than the event i hosted) are all sistema containers.

I also have one that is an eclipse tin(currently disabled).

Sistemas seem to be the best, unless you want to spend the money on pvc pipe...

Ammo cans are getting stolen around here on a somewhat regular basis, so I use camo taped Lock N Lock containers for my non-micro caches.

I have some scuba bison tubes, match safes, and soda preforms out in the wild.

Sistema containers are nice, but quite expensive here. We actually use those for our lunches (what an odd thing to use them for :))

I've been curious how they'd hold up to be opened/closed in -20C temperatures.

Ammo cans. I have a .50 cal a .223 500round SAW can- bigger than the .50 a couple .30s and an artillery can. A bunch of LnL's some clear some camo painted. And I think 2 key holders and one single nano. I usually like the bigger caches but I have 6 nanos and 20 pill containers sitting in a box waiting to be used.

Sistemas? Just pulling up Spanish in Google. Thanks.

New Zealand based (and manufactured) competitor to Lock n Lock.

Very nice containers.

Ah, Thank you.

Basically the biggest plastic container range youll find in the local supermarket. Most are clear, so we spray paint them black as well

Mostly spray-painted lock n locks. I do have some camo'd match containers and 1 bison tube out.

One issue that I'm seeing with lock n locks is they seem destined to get damp inside. My guess is people are opening them in the rain, but at the same time, I've yet to find a damp ammocan. We get alot of rain here. I've started to through dessicant in my caches.

The other issue I'm seeing is the spray paint chipping off. I may try a layer of varnish on top of the spray paint. I really would like them to last at least 5 years without having to redo the camo.

Have thought of using ammocans, if it weren't for the price, I'd go for it.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

very creative ideas! I havent hidden a cache yet but plan on it this spring. I cant believe how much the 'Official" stuff costs off the site. I really like the mushroom idea alot! I havent come across anything that creative in my finds yet but that would be cool! And so would the "micro in the woods!"

Ammo cans continue to be king for me. I hit 'em with flat black paint to kill the markings, and put a bit pattern on them by spraying through a sago palm frond.

Lock and locks a weak second. I concur that taping the lid seems to be required. This blocks the sunlight that causes tab breakage.

Florida, they get a fine growth of black stuff on the blue sealing ring, which allows moisture to wick inside. One or 2 years for this. Cleaning the seal helps.

Old ammo cans will sometimes do the same thing. Here in a moist place (just about everywhere) an ammo can is good for 6 years, then it rusts through, usually along the bottom weld, or the seal starts wicking - or both. I'm now re-using these damaged cans, by putting a lock and lock in them, and hanging them, they tend to drain okay that way. The lock and lock will last and last, inside an ammo can. Where I can, I hang all caches, keep them out of dirt, let them drain.

Matchsafes hold up okay. Better if you don't get spray paint on the o ring.

I have a couple of 6 and 7 year old decon hides doing okay. I assume this is function of a particular contractor's batch. Mostly, decons fail PDQ, even if properly closed.

I'm using copper plant tags for stage coords now. Only fire takes these.

I have some Groundspeak pelican case caches out. The largest of these has failed. Looks okay, but wicks water pretty badly. It lasted a couple of years in a very wet place, did no better than a lock and lock in that environment. I see no sign of someone ruining the seal by closing the case on some hunk o' crud, but could be.

I recently found a wet ammo can, it had a twig forced into the seal. I removed the twig, but the indent remains. People sure are careless of the caches they find. Ammo cans in particular, I'm often stunned at how exposed they've been left - mine and others I find.

I assume this is because finders are "in the woods" for possibly the first time in their lives, where they think nobody goes? instead of realizing that the can has intrinsic value and will be carried away by some, if seen, and that "the woods" are full of users of all kinds. Oops, sorry, drifting OT here.

Sistemas? Just pulling up Spanish in Google. Thanks.

New Zealand based (and manufactured) competitor to Lock n Lock.

Very nice containers.

Ah, Thank you.

Yes, they actually sell those in Western New York. I bought one, and was going to use it as a cache, but Mrs. Yuck saw how nice it was, and demanded it for household use. :laughing: They have very nice locking mechanism's, the gasket looks pretty good, and the plastic is definitely thicker than a standard lock-n-lock. I'm sure they make excellent containers.

I use ammo cans when I can get them, but probably 70 percent of my caches are in Lock n Locks these days. I've also encountered cheap Nalgene type wide mouth bottles from time to time and when I do I buy a bunch. A few years ago BJs was selling a set of 3 for $10, then they went on clearance for $5 and I emptied the shelf. Sellout Woot recently had a 6 pack of quart sized wide mouth bottles on sale so I bought three sixpacks, giving me 18 bottles for a little over a dollar each with shipping. They were in bright colors so I did they over in camo paint.

For the Lock n Locks I keep an eye on Woot as they come up regularly and are cheap there.

We have 2 ammo can hides, 12 Lock and Lock ® hides (authentic, not dollar store knock-offs), and one peanut butter hide.

One of our ammo cans lasted 3 years then the hinge pins rusted and sheared off. The current 2 have been out for 2 years and doing fine. I'm applying WD40 once a year so I'm hoping they'll llast 5+ years. The surplus store that I get them from rarely stocks them now.

Authentic Lock and Locks (not the dollar store kind), have lasted 3-7 years. Occasionally a ziploc baggie gets caught in the seal and lets water in but for the most part they are the best plastic container on the market.

The pb jar was planted in the Fall. It's fine so far.

Here is a before and after of the bottles I bought from Woot.

94a97a09-c31a-4fee-9112-c23b8681c6ac.jpg?rnd=0.07845736

Wait -- you bought a nicely camo bottle with the geocaching logo on it and stripped it off? Why on earth would you do that?!

:anibad:

With a few exceptions, we use:

Regular: ammo can or large lock & lock

Small: lock & lock or Army decon kit

Micro: PET preform tube (have tried bison tubes but have not found one that doesn't leak eventually)

Nano: nope.

I have been using pill bottles, peanut butter jars, and instant coffee jars. I just bought a case of 12 pint canning jars at wal-mart for $9.35. They have a very good sealing lid. I wrapped them in tape and painted them. I got some copper wire and made a loop and twisted it around the neck just under the lid. This makes a good hanger to put it in a tree. Mick

Glass mason jars that I bury under cinder blocks and duct tape "envelops" on top of zip-lock baggies. :blink:

Seriously, ammo cans and name brand Lock and Locks. All other things have failed me in some capacity or another and I'm slowly replacing my active caches with the two standards. I used to use screw-top disposable tupperware-type containers but those are not standing up to exposure past a couple of years very well. I've got one micro that I keep replacing because the washer always goes out and I'm considering either archiving it or up-sizing it with a Lock and Lock.

I've place 3 new caches in the last 2 months. 2 are ammo cans. 1 is a decon container.

I replaced one of my caches in the last two months. I used a small Otter Box. Have not had any finders nor have I checked on it since so I don't know how its holding up so far, but I'm sure it is fine.

One of our ammo cans lasted 3 years then the hinge pins rusted and sheared off. The current 2 have been out for 2 years and doing fine. I'm applying WD40 once a year so I'm hoping they'll llast 5+ years. The surplus store that I get them from rarely stocks them now.

The pb jar was planted in the Fall. It's fine so far.

L0ne R -

Check out Princess Auto. They almost always have some in their surplus section.

I use Ammo boxes, Lock-n-locks, Camoed PB jars, beach use card and glasses safes, etc., and a selection of containers that I have made myself.

Such as - 011.jpg

Basically anything I can find that in waterproof (IMO)

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I found a cool little Otter Box container marked half off from $10 because it had some scrathes and a crack on the lanyard attachment. I'm interested to see just how "dry" this thing stays when I use it.

Hi, let us know how long it stays until someone "Takes it as swag" I thought of otter box's but also thought they my get pinched..

Yeah...It's cool, but it was actually cheaper than a fancy lock and lock or ammo can. Only five bucks! I may make it premium only and mark it to make it slightly less desirable.

Anticipating nice hide weather soon (please...soon!), I ordered a bunch of containers from Amazon. One set is like Lock and Locks, but the plastic has an anti-mold and fungus chemical in it, and the tabs are supposedly more hardy. Thought I'd give it a try and see how that works. I also found some Plano plastic ammo cans for a great price ($10). Then Amazon suggested some add-on items...Sure-Lid containers, "triple seal" and said to be leak and waterproof, and super cheap at a couple bucks each and a bit bigger than a match stick container. Spring rains will test them, I'm sure! Oh, and I added a Kwik-Tek Drypak Alligator waterproof wallet--basically a flat credit card/money holder. I haven't thought of a spot for that yet, but figured I'd know it when I came across it.

For my two cents, ammo cans are the way to go. I have one cache that is 11 years old that is on top of a mountain at almost 11,000 feet. It has been exposed to 160 mph winds, 20 to 30 degrees below temperatures, rain and snow (mostly snow). It still is dry inside and looks like it could go another 10 years.

Edited by TahoeJoe

For my two cents, ammo cans are the way to go. I have one cache that is 11 years old that is on top of a mountain at almost 11,000 feet. It has been exposed to 160 mph winds, 20 to 30 degrees below temperatures, rain and snow (mostly snow). It still is dry inside and looks like it could go another 10 years.

My experience is that MUGGLES dump the cache contents and steal the ammo cans. So I opt for less obvious CONTAINERS and go for the camouflage in plain sight cache. I mean whats better than a cache that can be seen miles away, that goes unbothered by muggles for years? Is 4' tall, bright yellow and can be seen from the freeway, on a hilltop as you zoom by? That experienced geocachers can't find even though they are LEANING against it? I have had THOSE caches. Or another that is simply laid by the side of the road, can be reached from your car seat, and also not bothered by non-players? (This one was last seen being used by the Firefighters as a wheel chock, when they left, they took it. I guess they need a wheel chock more than we needed that cache.)

Nope I will stick with Unusual but common objects as caches.

The other issue I'm seeing is the spray paint chipping off.

Camo Duct Tape.

I had two lock n locks that I prepared the same way (steel wool then sand paper) and one kept the paint perfectly and the other had it coming off in playing card-sized chunks. Weird.

Meanwhile, the camo duct tape has a plastic base and does not fare well in the cold/heat. I have had excellent results with camo hockey tape:

camo.jpg

Because it is cloth-based, there is no issue with cracking and falling off. It is also stealthier at night as it does not reflect the way the camo duct tape does. Finally, it is excellent at absorbing the local materials and becoming even more stealthy, in the way a chameleon does.

The other issue I'm seeing is the spray paint chipping off.

Camo Duct Tape.

I had two lock n locks that I prepared the same way (steel wool then sand paper) and one kept the paint perfectly and the other had it coming off in playing card-sized chunks. Weird.

Meanwhile, the camo duct tape has a plastic base and does not fare well in the cold/heat. I have had excellent results with camo hockey tape:

camo.jpg

Because it is cloth-based, there is no issue with cracking and falling off. It is also stealthier at night as it does not reflect the way the camo duct tape does. Finally, it is excellent at absorbing the local materials and becoming even more stealthy, in the way a chameleon does.

I can see the advantages of using camo-tape. However, I like to spray paint the words GEOCACHE and sometimes outlines of ferns too on the outside of my containers.

I'm going to try painting a layer (or 2) of clear varnish on top of my spray paint and see if that helps.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

The other issue I'm seeing is the spray paint chipping off. I may try a layer of varnish on top of the spray paint. I really would like them to last at least 5 years without having to redo the camo.

I've had good luck using Valspar plastic primer on Lock n Locks before I apply the camo colors. I have containers with the primer base that have been out for years and never chip. The few times I had a problem with chipping was when I applied spray paint directly to the container, even though it was supposed to be plastic spray paint (Krylon Fusion). I've tried other plastic primers but none work as well as Valspar.

It also helps to remove the sheen from the container before applying any paint. I simply use a Scotch Brite with a little dish detergent or Comet and water.