"muggles"

KayakGZ

I'll wait for a few minutes to see if folks will move away and/or try to asses if they are any threat to the cache - then I'll decide to leave or go for it. But do not try and be stealthy about it. That just attracts more undue attention. Instead be bold. Be proud of what you are doing - act as though you are doing nothing wrong (mostly because you aren't!!). Act as though it is your job to find that cache, a job you are very good at and proud to do. Find it. Sign it. Put it back and move on. Carry a clipboard and look professional - you'll blend into the background.

how secretive do I have to be? Should I wait for them to go away?

I usually avoid crawling around under a park bench that strangers are sitting on. It’s good to wait til they leave. I don’t want to cause a commotion, but each case is different.

It depends on the situation. If I have a good idea where the container is (maybe I even see it), I might just go get it, open it, sign, and put it back -- on a sidewalk full of people walking past. I act like this is the most ordinary thing to do. Nobody notices.

If I can’t figure out where the container is, I might invite that couple on the bench to help me search, while explaining Geocaching.

If a couple of very nosey people show up before I can put the container back and they ask “Hey, what are ya doing!”, I might mention the really colorful, huge snake I just now saw, and ask if they’ll help me catch it. :anibad:

how secretive do I have to be? Should I wait for them to go away?

I usually avoid crawling around under a park bench that strangers are sitting on. It’s good to wait til they leave. I don’t want to cause a commotion, but each case is different.

It depends on the situation. If I have a good idea where the container is (maybe I even see it), I might just go get it, open it, sign, and put it back -- on a sidewalk full of people walking past. I act like this is the most ordinary thing to do. Nobody notices.

If I can’t figure out where the container is, I might invite that couple on the bench to help me search, while explaining Geocaching.

If a couple of very nosey people show up before I can put the container back and they ask “Hey, what are ya doing!”, I might mention the really colorful, huge snake I just now saw, and ask if they’ll help me catch it. :anibad:

I enjoy reading your posts.

One time I was looking for magnetic micro attached to the underside of a bench. Unfortunately, there were 2 muggles sitting on the bench, enjoying the view and having a good chat.

So, to kill some time, I got down on my hands and knees and groped another bench a few meters away.

Interestingly, I soon got the privacy I needed. :anibad:

One time I was looking for magnetic micro attached to the underside of a bench. Unfortunately, there were 2 muggles sitting on the bench, enjoying the view and having a good chat.

So, to kill some time, I got down on my hands and knees and groped another bench a few meters away.

Interestingly, I soon got the privacy I needed. :anibad:

:yikes::laughing::laughing:

This may be why geocaching in the winter is such a good idea - less poeple sitting around, no leaves on the trees, the vegetation is quite sparse and there are no bugs.

But my son and I found some caches that I'm sure we'd never be able to find if there was no snow and people were milling around.

I always feel like when we are lifting up lamp post skirts that people will think we are going to steal the copper wire. Yes, the tweakers and crack heads that do such things are a huge problem out here. LOL

Ummm...you shouldn't be exposing any wires when you lift those. They're generally only to cover up the bolted attachment to the concrete or steel base. If someone is hiding it in the wired internals of the pole, I'd avoid it and probably request a relocation since that could either be a hazard or seen as tampering.