Help! Dakota 20 or Oregon 550

C. Amado

Same accuracy, but if weight is a factor, the Dakota is lighter. However, any GPS in the mountains could have problems because the mountain will block out close to one half of the sky. And if your a ridge with mountains on both sides, you'll be very lucky to get a fix at all.

ok...

I am new to Geocaching ...

As you already should have more experience in geocaching ... which I recommend? which you use?

Same accuracy, but if weight is a factor, the Dakota is lighter. However, any GPS in the mountains could have problems because the mountain will block out close to one half of the sky. And if your a ridge with mountains on both sides, you'll be very lucky to get a fix at all.

ok...

I am new to Geocaching ...

As you already should have more experience in geocaching ... which I recommend? which you use?

I have both, and very much prefer the Oregon over the Dakota.

For geocaching purposes only, I would choose the Oregon because of the larger screen and more room to hold geocaches.

However, I use a Dakota as my #1 unit but it was more for the price point at the time and had a special on City Navigator routable maps (half the cost of the Oregon's at the time). I also own some Magellan's a few of the older Garmins (Etrex, Venture HC).