CACHING FOR THE DISABLED?

Nochipra

I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO FIND OUT HOW MANY CACHES THERE ARE THAT ARE CONSIDERED "HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE". I'M NEW TO THIS AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO GO ON MORE CACHE ADVENTURES WITH MY BOYFRIEND. WE DID OUR FIRST TWO CACHES TODAY AND I COULDN'T GO SEARCHING WITH HIM BECAUSE OF THE TERRAIN (I'M A WHEELCHAIR USER). I DROVE HIM TO THE AREAS AND HE VIDEO TAPED HIS SEARCHES AND THEN I GOT TO WATCH THEM AFTER THE FACT BUT I WOULD LIKE TO BE IN ON THE INITIAL FINDicon_frown.gif I WOULD LIKE TO START SOME ACCESSIBLE CACHES IN THE HAMPTON ROADS, VA AREA AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE WITH DISABILITES THAT WOULD LIKE THIS? THANKSicon_smile.gif

Look for terrain rating one caches. Get used to using your mapping software to look at them before you get there.

Read the logs. "Bushwacked 200' straight up" won't bode well for your wheelchair. People can and do rate those caches a 1 for terrain.

Email the cache owners in advance of your search. Don't be shy to state your limitations such that they can be understood so you can get usefull answers.

There are so many variables and so many types of handicaps and limitations that this is no a one size fits all answer.

In another link (I don't have it handy) there is a geocaching assocation that will generate the HTML code for handicap acceable caches so you can post the sign of accessability on their caches. If people know that you are in the area and that you are paying attention over time your participation will get people to paying attention to that and posting accessability guidlines.

PS. All caps is considered yelling in the fourms. It's clear that's not your intent. You might want to avoid doing that.

Here are two that I know of in our area that would be pretty accessible. Not the River Jordan

Oscar's landing

Heron View (my cache) probably would have been accessible tp you before the storm, but unfortunately now, the path is blocked in many areas.

There are probably some others. That would be a good question to post on the Hampton Roads Yahoo Group, cause I'm sure others have visited more caches that might fit your requirements.

Janine

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss