FTF Geocoin

Melisa&MyBoys

If you're using an unactivated coin as a FTF prize (nice gift!), then let the FTF activate it.

Realize that it may be possible the FTFer won't want to activate it, rather to hold onto it as a keepsake.

- If you plan to see it move around as yours, then you'll need to activate it.

Edited by cerberus1

If it's a FTF prize do not activate but if you want it to travel under you name then do activate it. Place a small note in with the coin to explain it's a gift if you got that route as people get confused by finding unactivated geocoins. Include information on how they can access the activation codes and how to activate it.

Good luck!

I have found that if the cache is found first by a FTF hound, they won't make any mention of the prize, if they even take it.

Now I just stock caches with items that cachers in general would like, not something to award FTF. Your appreciation of the cache comes long after the FTF is a vague memory.

Good luck!

I have found that if the cache is found first by a FTF hound, they won't make any mention of the prize, if they even take it.

Now I just stock caches with items that cachers in general would like, not something to award FTF. Your appreciation of the cache comes long after the FTF is a vague memory.

Quite the contrary here ... and I have almost 200 active caches.

Have not put a FTF in 'every' new cache, but in selected ones, also depending on the size of the cache. Sometimes it's an unactivated coin or tag, a unique 'trophy' that I make, a Starbuck's giftcard or maybe some amount of green cachecash. Sometimes nothing at all except for appropriate SWAG.

I would estimate that no less than 90% make some note of what they found. My observation is that other cachers and FTF hounds love taunting other cachers with their FTF prowess and success. When you place as many caches as we do there is also a familiarity that goes with local cachers and reviewers. We know what times and days to submit caches so that not the same people get the opportunity for FTF's. As a regular cache owner who loves placing caches bigger than nanos and tougher than LPC's our local cachers know to expect the unexpected ... so they do make the special effort to be the FTF at our caches.

When a new cache is placed for publication we do not list any FTF prize in the description. After the FTF 'found' has been logged we make an entry into the description recognizing who the FTF was and if applicable, any FTF prize that went with the cache. We do often get a profile e-mail thanking us for the cache and the prize.