Necessary to date log sheet?

Cute&Cuddly

I'd like to use a stamp with our username to "sign" log sheets, particularly on power trails. A small stamp is easy to throw in my pocket, but doesn't have an option to lay down a date as well. If a date is critical, I'd still have to pull out my pen to do that, and if I need to do that, what's the value of a stamp in the first place?

As a CO, it wouldn't bother me to see a stamp with no date in our hides. If I was that persnickety, I could get a good idea of the date stamped by looking at the dates provided before and after. In all honesty, the date provided on the page listing log is good enough for me.

Thoughts? Is a date necessary under/beside a stamp?

Personally, I don't think so. I've seen quite a few stamps and stickers on log sheets....some include a date, some don't. I think as long as you've proved you were there then most CO's won't care about the date. I don't think they would have grounds to delete your find either.

I guess if you play the FTF game you might want to mark the date and time, but other than that, no.

Dates can be handy as some cachers have no concept of order in a log book. I've seen many books where some have signed on the front pages, some on the back pages, both sides of a page ... they're all over the place and without dates it's impossible to see any kind of history. Power trails are all about quantity and I doubt most PT CO's actually check logs. You're probably safe.

Cheers,

PandA Inc

No, I suppose writing the date is not necessary, but just do it. It's not too much to ask. Are you in such a hurry that you can't take 5 seconds to write it?

I know its gunna sound crazy, but I hand write, in pen, the date and my whole username on the log of every cache I find. :o

If you were to do the E.T. highway it would take you and extra 2 hours if you spent 5 seconds on each cache writing the date.

I write the date in most caches with the exception of nanos, Also when I did route 66 I signed each cache with just an "R" to save time.

Personally I don't use a stamp or sticker, but please don't make writing a date with your log into a big issue.

Some new little rules or habits tend to get a life of their own, especially for new geocachers.

Recently I received some remarks in internet logs that the logbook of my cache was full, which seemed a little strange to me.

When I went to my cache to bring a new logbook, there were lots of open spaces in the old one (to sign at least twenty more names).

I wrote to the geocachers that made the remarks and they answered they thought they not only had to sign the date, but log in order of date too.

Writing the date (and log in order of date) is not necessary.

If you like to you may add the date, if you don't want to it is okay too.

Using the open spaces in the logbook saves me an extra trip and a lot of gasoline :)

No, I suppose writing the date is not necessary, but just do it. It's not too much to ask. Are you in such a hurry that you can't take 5 seconds to write it?

I know its gunna sound crazy, but I hand write, in pen, the date and my whole username on the log of every cache I find. :o

If you were to do the E.T. highway it would take you and extra 2 hours if you spent 5 seconds on each cache writing the date.

I write the date in most caches with the exception of nanos, Also when I did route 66 I signed each cache with just an "R" to save time.

yeah, so?

If you're strapped for time, why do you try to do so many caches?

I'd like to use a stamp with our username to "sign" log sheets, particularly on power trails. A small stamp is easy to throw in my pocket, but doesn't have an option to lay down a date as well. If a date is critical, I'd still have to pull out my pen to do that, and if I need to do that, what's the value of a stamp in the first place?

As a CO, it wouldn't bother me to see a stamp with no date in our hides. If I was that persnickety, I could get a good idea of the date stamped by looking at the dates provided before and after. In all honesty, the date provided on the page listing log is good enough for me.

I don't want to go all "you young whippersnapers" on anyone, but I have definitely noticed an increasing trend where people don't date their logs. And in "the old days", everyone used to do it without fail. But no, I suppose it's not necessary, especially if you use a stamp.

I don't want to go all "you young whippersnapers" on anyone, but I have definitely noticed an increasing trend where people don't date their logs. And in "the old days", everyone used to do it without fail. But no, I suppose it's not necessary, especially if you use a stamp.

:lol:

We're not quite there to go "back in the day..." on anyone yet, but micros weren't the norm when we started and nanos weren't seen until a few years after either.

I can see were newer folks who (usually) play differently than old farts would look for ways to help them reach their goals.

We still log everything by pen, pencil or sharpie and except for the rare (for me) micro, continue to write notes in logs also.

The only time we use a stamp is on letterbox hybrids.

- If we ever find one that has a stamp and pad in it. :D

yeah, so?

Well, for one that would be 2 hours less of burning gas so assuming someone is going to do the E.T. highway would you want them to do it as quick as possible to minimize emissions?

To answer the question - If I'm not taking up an extra line in a micro logbook, you bet. But required? No.

I work an odd schedule so I often lose track of what day it is. I always put a date on my logs but it might be off by a couple of days. So, no, I don't think the date in the log book is critical.

Still, after some 3500+ caches I have NEVER found a cache where I felt it was a hardship to "pull out my pen." That's just always been part of the game for me.

yeah, so?

Well, for one that would be 2 hours less of burning gas so assuming someone is going to do the E.T. highway would you want them to do it as quick as possible to minimize emissions?

I'd rather people hike the ET Powertrail to minimize emissions.

On a related note what it power trail, e. T., and FTF?

Im fairly new to the forums and to geocaching but E.T, I believe means Estimated Time and FTF= First To Find. I am sorry to say I do not know what power trails are....anyone else?

E.T is a series name. It's more about stats than caching.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I work an odd schedule so I often lose track of what day it is. I always put a date on my logs but it might be off by a couple of days. So, no, I don't think the date in the log book is critical.

Still, after some 3500+ caches I have NEVER found a cache where I felt it was a hardship to "pull out my pen." That's just always been part of the game for me.

I disagree, sometimes the hardest part is remembering my pen and when I do have it work when I sign the log.

yeah, so?

I'd rather people hike the ET Powertrail to minimize emissions.

Funny thing, my son is very fast and while doing route 66 we decided on one cache as we replaced it he'd run to the next cahe while I went to the car and drove. He beat me by a good 5-6 seconds, too bad he couldn't maintain that pace for 12 hours.

And in "the old days", everyone used to do it without fail.

I remember that! And back then, it was also customary to write a few words to thank the CO and maybe mention something about the experience you had while searching for the cache.

I still do both (add the date and a note) when log space permits and the mosquitoes are biting someone else at the moment.

Personally I don't use a stamp or sticker, but please don't make writing a date with your log into a big issue.

Some new little rules or habits tend to get a life of their own, especially for new geocachers.

This. Remember this is a fun game. There is no score, no leaderboard, and no trophies. In fact most cache owners never check the log book. You don't even have to sign, stamp, or sticker the log in order to log an online find.

However, cache owners are given the responsibility to police the online log and if the log appears to be bogus the cache owner may delete it. In this case, having your name in the log book and recognizable is to your benefit, if you want Groundspeak to restore your log. I doubt very much that having the date is going to make any difference in this case.

yeah, so?

The sad part may be that puritans have convinced power-trail cachers that they need to sign logs. Sure the power-trail cachers come up with the cache/log swap and they used stamps with a team name to go faster, but they still tend to consider that they need to leave a signature to claim the find.

If you want to make up new rules about leaving a date or only using a pen, go ahead. But here I'm certain you won't find any "rules" requiring this. The truth is that no power trail owner is ever going to check logs, and most power trail owners are likely not going to delete logs if someone has pen or stamp problems half-way through the trail. Many are quite willing to accept and even to encourage cache swapping or leapfrogging. The puritans can cry all day about "cheaters" ruining geocaching. It's up to the cache owner whether to accept these logs.

If you want to limit the number of caches to what ever number you can do writing you full name and date in longhand, you are free to cache that way. That isn't having any effect on people who are enjoying power-trails and who feel perfectly comfortable with using any means to spend less time at each cache.

And in "the old days", everyone used to do it without fail. But no, I suppose it's not necessary, especially if you use a stamp.

I don't recall this. Of course when log books were bigger and caches fewer, many geocachers took time to write something in the log book beside just their geocaching name. I supposed that dates were more common. But they were never universally left.

Except for FTFs it's been a number of years since I have consistently written the date on a log. Too many quart sized peanut butter jars with a jewelers baggie and a nano log broke that habit. If I find a good sized cache that has an old style LOGBOOK, and I have a quiet spot to spend a few moments, then I'll write you a full sized log complete with a thank you and a date.

yeah, so?

The other way to reduce emissions is to not try and find every cache. And walk the alien head portion of the trail.

If I was worried about my emissions I would do it on a bicycle, and lay off the beans. :lol:

I do typically add the date to my logs, but sometimes there isn't room or I want to get it done and put back before someone asks what I'm doing to the lampskirt. ;)

good point, I also always add date if space, and time, and I feel like it :-)

but my name ALWAYS go there.. if a nano is very full, I write only OZ or 2CPU

<joke>

the other day I was thinking about creating a new user name:

TFTC

and then log all caches as found in the world

my name is in the log book :-)

</joke>

Edited by OZ2CPU

I use a stamp when I can. Our stamp is the same design as our geocoin, and I rather like it. I then date it and add a short comment (or sometimes a long comment, if there's room).

It's a bigger sized stamp, so it doesn't fit on micro logs and whatnot. I keep meaning to get a smaller one for smaller logs, just haven't gotten around to it.

b2875461-9082-4b77-9714-dda77b2994b3.jpg

Tried to use it on one of Barney's toilet seats, but it smeared too much so I had to improvise.

I usually date my logs in the following manner( :blink: ):

On the twenty seventh day of the second month being February in the year of our lord, two thousand and thirteen I, PandA Inc did find and locate the geocache in which this log book hath been placed.

A bit old-school but it leaves little doubt.

Cheers,

PandA Inc

Funny, I have never even thought about not writing the date. Even on nanos, I put the date on there. It sometimes overflows one signature section, but the thought of no date never even crossed my mind.

yeah, so?

Because they find that fun and/or the achievement fulfilling. :mmraspberry:

Im fairly new to the forums and to geocaching but E.T, I believe means Estimated Time and FTF= First To Find. I am sorry to say I do not know what power trails are....anyone else?

It is still cacheing, just enjoyed differently for some people than others. While I am sure that the stats are a big part of the reason people do the E.T., I suspect that the challenge and pre-planning, and companionship with the other team members plays a large roll.

Not strictly required but I generally put the date. On a nano I'll leave out the year. Or if the log is really tight on space I may leave out the date and just use initials.

In some countries/areas it is the norm to also put the time (I noticed this in Prague - I guess because of the volume of finds; many caches get found several times a day on average).

if you put in or take out trackables, PLEASE say so, in the paper log and online log too..

Is this a common practice? Why aren't online logs of the trackables sufficient?

The online log of the trackable is not sufficient because the trackable logs are not directly linked to the cache log. To find who took what when, I have to cross reference the logs of past trackables to cache's log to figure out what happened. Putting a link in the cache log when taking a trackable provides an easy way to go look at where the trackable went next.

No, mentioning the trackable in the cache log is not common practice. I think I'm the only one that does it consistently in my area. If there's a log book, I sometimes note it in the paper log, but not always.

On topic: I like dates, but some people don't leave them. It's becoming more common to leave off the date (mainly by people that are stamping) as caching gets more popular: since there's typically only a few days between finds these days, there's normally a nearby date the narrows down any given stamp to a reasonable time period.

about TB logging:

it is VERY smart to write TB out, if you took one out,

so the next finder, a few minutes later dont complain online or in the paper log about a missing tb

also in the online log it is often used to write TB and its name out, or in for that matter..

your paper log is the last one in the book,

so the next finder will have a very fast and easy time to figure out who was here before him

and what did he take or leave of importance,

remember TB's er no ordenary swap items, people pay money for them, and they LOVE to see they follow a nice clean path

of correct in out logs.

With a little bit of common sence it is really possible to make this happen.

Some caches are visited by a local who is only minutes away from online access,

and the SAME cache can also be visited by turists who are days or weeks away from online access,

that is why the PAPER log is so important to use correctly.

like another senario:

a turist leave a TB in a cache, he will get online 1 week later

a local find same cache, there is offcourse a TB in it, but as a surprice, since it was not there listed online,

the local pick it up, also write in the paper log he picked it up,

now when the local gets home, he put the TB on watch !!! and wait 1-2 weeks before it is correctly logged into the cache where he took it,

NOW when he see this, he logs the tb out from the cache, and all is fine !!

this is the correct methode.

if the local grap the TB from the turist (before he log it into the cache) some will be angry and fustrated !!

they want to gibe the TB its miles and correct cache drop.

some turists like me are smart to keep a backup of the TB code, so we grap them back, and put them in the cache

later when we get home, then email the local, and politely instruct them to grap the tb from the cache,

but some times that tb is now 5 other jumps laters, before the turist gets home and online.. darn it is a pain..

I use a stamp when I can. Our stamp is the same design as our geocoin, and I rather like it. I then date it and add a short comment (or sometimes a long comment, if there's room).

It's a bigger sized stamp, so it doesn't fit on micro logs and whatnot. I keep meaning to get a smaller one for smaller logs, just haven't gotten around to it.

b2875461-9082-4b77-9714-dda77b2994b3.jpg

Tried to use it on one of Barney's toilet seats, but it smeared too much so I had to improvise.

Hey, i recognize that potty lid! My signature, with date, is just below what your camera caught... :lol:

Edited to add a BIG OOOOPS. We logged it in November.

Edited by Mudfrog

Funny, I have never even thought about not writing the date. Even on nanos, I put the date on there. It sometimes overflows one signature section, but the thought of no date never even crossed my mind.

yeah, so?

Because they find that fun and/or the achievement fulfilling. :mmraspberry:

It is still cacheing, just enjoyed differently for some people than others. While I am sure that the stats are a big part of the reason people do the E.T., I suspect that the challenge and pre-planning, and companionship with the other team members plays a large roll.

I didn't say it wasn't caching. Although I have said that if you gave people a big red button to push that would give them a stat count eventually you will have people arguing about that who did or did not click it. Here we are arguing about whether or not a date is required.