Hampton Roads Virginia Geocachers

I'm interested in starting an email group for geocachers in the Hampton Roads area. This would include the Tidewater and Peninsula areas and anyone else who may travel to those areas to find caches (NC, Richmond)

Once we get the email-group started, then it will be easier for Hampton Roads cachers to plan events and/or make announcements that pertain to the local area.

I am also planning to launch a Hot Potato travel bug for a little friendly competition between the Tidewater and Peninsula regions.

If you would like me to be part of the email group when I get it all set up, click on my link to email me.

Happy Caching!

Janine

Cacheola Crew

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

I replied to this yesterday morning.

I see a response posted several hours later is visible, but mine still is not. Mine was held up for approval all because it contained that horrible, horrible word N_a_v_i_c_a_c_h_e.

So it must sit in limbo waiting to see if/when it is decided to let you see a legitimate response to your post. It was a simple question asking, with regional forums both here and there (the other site), and a Hampton Roads chat room available on the other site, did you feel there was more that could be offered by either to accomodate what you are trying to do?

Well don't really think I should have to wait 24 hours for this post to be approved for such a foolish reason. I thought maybe after all this time this childishness had passed but apparently not. Appears it is time to also pull my cache listings as well and place them only where they are welcome! My appologies to those who have TB's in them but enough is enough. I suspect this message will be quickly deleted.

PC Medic

[This message was edited by PCMedic on July 14, 2003 at 04:35 AM.]

[This message was edited by PCMedic on July 14, 2003 at 04:36 AM.]

quote:
from PCmedic

with regional forums both here and there (the other site), and a Hampton Roads chat room available on the other site, did you feel there was more that could be offered by either to accomodate what you are trying to do?

Well, the regional forums on either site really do not get a lot of traffic from what I can see. I suspect that most cachers visit the sites to find and log caches but NEVER visit the various forums at all.

The email list will serve as a way to quickly contact one another if we need to. For example, last April, I planned a CITO event. I posted on the regional forums and got little response.

An email group will help in this and also help those who never visit forums to know one another, plan events or get together for caching.

Hope that explains it a bit.

Janine

Cacheola Crew

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by Cacheola Crew:

Well, the regional forums on either site really do not get a lot of traffic from what I can see. I suspect that most cachers visit the sites to find and log caches but NEVER visit the various forums at all.

The email list will serve as a way to quickly contact one another if we need to. For example, last April, I planned a CITO event. I posted on the regional forums and got little response.

Hmmm, while I will admit we do not get the traffic in our forums (yet) as they do here, they are pretty active. Sorry to hear your CITO Event went un-noticed. Did you also list your CITO event as a cache Event?

I guess it never hurts to try alternative methods to get the word out, but I wonder if those that do not visit the forums would be any more attracted to an email list??

In any case good luck, and remember that there is a Hampton Roads chat room over there on that unmentionable place.

icon_rolleyes.gif

PC Medic

quote:
posted by PCMedic: I guess it never hurts to try alternative methods to get the word out, but I wonder if those that do not visit the forums would be any more attracted to an email list??

I think the reason that people who never post in a forum may still be interested in an email list is just that, it comes directly to email. It takes no extra effort to read and respond.

I guess we will see as the group gets going, but so far, it is looking promising. (glad you could join us, btw).

PS: Sorry I haven't answered this in a while. Seems I don't check the various forums regularly either!

Janine of Cacheola Crew

Dr. Seuss

Regarding the CITO event. I did post it in the regional forums and also the CITO forums.

With a regional group, perhaps we could have polled the members for the best day, as that particular day ended up being a busy one for many people. We still picked up a lot of junk though!

Dr. Seuss

37 members. But still room for more! If you live or cache in the Hampton Roads area, check out the group.

Dr. Seuss

My boyfriend and I are new to this but I think an email group in Hampton Roads is a great idea. I first visited this site yesterday and we went out today and found our first two caches. It was sooo much fun! We may plan to go to the picnic for local cacher's in Williamsburg next month if our schedule permits. I'm really excited about this new hobbyicon_smile.gif

Great, Nochipra. Go here for info about the picnic and to sign up.

Geocaching Hampton Roads Picnic and Mini-cache dash

Hope you can make it.

Janine

Cacheola Crew

Dr. Seuss