Need help finding a trackable placed in an unpublished cache

spatten26.2

Hello, UK cachers,

My family and I released a TB called "London 2012 or Bust!" (TB48TKC) from Minnesota, USA about 18 months ago. Its mission was to travel to the London 2012 games. It made it and did a lot of sightseeing along the way. We homeschool our children, and so they had a lot of fun watching its travels as part of their geography studies. After the Olympic games were done we changed the goal of the TB to go to the 2014 Winter Games in Soshi, Russia.

In early December it was retrieved from a cache called Close Cathedral Close near Winchester. The cacher who retreived it then placed it in a cache he owns, but in the nearly 3 months that have followed the cache has not been published. So unfortunately the TB can not be retrieved by anyone else to be moved on in its journey to Russia. I am hoping that someone reading this might know the cacher, whose handle is comptonwilkys. I believe he/she also lives somewhere south of Winchester, but since they've only found 6 caches, I don't know how often they actually go geocaching. The unpublished cache is called Arty Boy, but since it hasn't been published I have no idea exactly where the cache is, though my guess is that it is likely somewhere near Winchester. I've tried contacting comptonwilkys twice, but to no avail.

Does anyone know this person or where the cache might be that they could maybe help us move our trackable along? Any and all help is graciously appreciated.

Regards,

spatten26 and pattenclan

I'm afraid I don't know the cacher - after all they stopped caching almost as soon as they started.

However, at this stage I have to believe that your best bet would be contacting a UK reviewer (probably a Southern UK one) to find out the loaction. I'd recommend Southerntrekker who is brilliant. If you explain the circumstances and relate the story as you have done, he may be able to give you the co-ords.

I'm not a million miles from "South of Winchester" myself. OK, so it's not exactly on my doorstep, but I do have plans to go caching in that direction in the next couple of months. Once you know where it is, you could give me the co-ords (and hint/cache size if it's available) and I could look for it on your behalf during my trip.

And if you get an offer form anyone closer, in the meantime, that's fine too!

Mellers

I wouldn't be suprised to find the cache does not actually exist, and is just used to 'hold' trackables so they are not in the cachers inventory.

It's possible but if the guy has only found six caches it seems unlikely he'd have gone to such lengths. If you want to steal TBs it makes more sense to just take them from a cache and not log your visit to the cache or the collection of the TB.

I wouldn't be suprised to find the cache does not actually exist, and is just used to 'hold' trackables so they are not in the cachers inventory.

Hmmm... I would be surprised if this is the case given that it's such a newby cacher. I think it's just more likely that the cacher decided to hide one after finding 6, then when his new cache didn't get past the review process, gave up the game altogether.

Well if you do get the co-ords I'm not far away either so you've got 2 volunteers to go hunt it down, maybe we could make it a Flashmob :lol:

I have to say, in light of all that is going on with this whole thing, I do like the idea of an event springing from it! Maybe the coords for the FlashMob being those closest to the cacher's homebase? Lol :)