Geocaching Hiding Funny Stories

scottmcblane

So today I went to go hide a geocache and while I was waiting for my GPS to do the coordinates averaging I decided to take one last look in the cache and make sure the log book had all the necessary info. Next thing I know the lid of the cache is flying off the side of a cliff... therefore, no cache hiding today.

Does anyone else have any funny stories from when they were hiding a geocache?

So today I went to go hide a geocache and while I was waiting for my GPS to do the coordinates averaging I decided to take one last look in the cache and make sure the log book had all the necessary info. Next thing I know the lid of the cache is flying off the side of a cliff... therefore, no cache hiding today.

How much risk of cachers going off that cliff also?? <_<:o:(:blink::huh::unsure:

How much risk of cachers going off that cliff also?? <_<:o:(:blink::huh::unsure:

Yes, once the lid fell off the side I re-evaluated the hide and concluded that it would not be the best spot for the cache. I plan on hiding it elsewhere. :)

For an event last year there where a bunch of us hiding caches. A bunch of us had our locations denied as bent to close to another cache. Turns out three or four of us tried a hide in the exact same location. And I mean within 2 inches.

all under the same lamp skirt?

Nope. In a pipe actually :laughing: One was fake wires, and I think the other one was a container with some cement to make it look like the pipe was filled, one was a keyholder.

For an event last year there where a bunch of us hiding caches. A bunch of us had our locations denied as bent to close to another cache. Turns out three or four of us tried a hide in the exact same location. And I mean within 2 inches.

Very similar story: for an event here a few years back, which also involved the geo-community hiding a bunch of caches to be released all at once for the event, one prominent large spruce tree collected three caches. Oops.

I think it was the first-submitted one that got published.

>Yes, once the lid fell off the side I re-evaluated the hide and concluded that it would not be the best spot for the cache. I plan on hiding it elsewhere.

you got to be kidding !!

a geocache HIDER should be able to think a bit smarter,

he should be able to figure out what kind of less location wise people will approch his area.

a cliff side cache can be cool, if propperly rated and warned, and in that case a CO should not see any surprices

no matter what happens, he will be prepared for the unexpected.

--

Back to funny hiding stories :

it happens the spot is taken, by a cache from another system,

one of my friends hid one, only 2 meters from an open cache..

they took away his cace, he came again with a new one, and put a large label on both of them

with info about their systems and names, and updated his page with info about this,

now they live fine, side by side.

I posted this in another thread but here it is again:

One of my caches involves a life-sized skeleton, it came packed in a big clear plastic bag in several large pieces. I placed it about a 1/2 hour hike up a mountain and since it would not fit into my backpack I tied it to the back of it and one weekday mid morning I set off up the mountain. I didn't realize that the trails would be that busy with dog walkers, all female as I entountered maybe 20 of them, all giving me really odd looks and I'm sure they were quite nervous. One did ask me about the skeleton and I told her it was my wife and before she really freaked out I did explain geocaching.