GPS Road Rally

I've got an idea for a gps road rally. A set of coordinates takes the driver to multiple microcaches (first gives coordinates to the second etc.). Each team is timed with a stopwatch and fastest time wins the cache or I should say CA$H because in order to participate drivers need to give 10 bucks in entrance fees. All the money collected goes into the pool and the winner takes all. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Please, Give me your feedback. icon_eek.gif

This may not be true for all jurisdictions, but in the UK such treasure hunts may fall foul of the Road Traffic Act (specifically the clause on "Motor Racing on the Public Highway") - I'm sure that treasure hunts of a similar nature were popular long before GPS (in the 1950s and 60s) and after a series of accidents involving people overanxious to get to the next clue the concept died a death.

Even though the participants aren't in a head-to-head race, they are time-trialling and in the eyes of the law (here) a multiple entrant time-trial will probably be deemed a race and your drivers licence will be endorsed with penalty points (not a good thing to happen).

The concept is good, but the idea of fastest time is questionable and raises a lot of issues. There are rallies run in the U.S. legally. Check out the website for the Sports Car Club of America (www.scca.org) for more information. (If you haven't tried a SCCA Road Rally, I highly recommend it. It's as addicting as Geocaching.) Going back to your suggestion of a rally, another idea for the concept could be to that the team (one to watch the GPS and one to drive) who travels the shortest distance to collect all the caches while staying on public roadways is the winner. This would add a bit of skill to the competition. You would have to limit the information teams use to determine their course and can restrict their use of certain roads (i.e., teams can only travel east on Main Street). With the mapping software out there, it would be too easy. Whatever you come up with, speed should not be the determining factor.

the American Rally Sprot Group put on what the call an adventure rally at the Lauglin, NV rally. you set it up so there is a time from point 1 to point 2 and you must try to match it. Those who dont do it in the amount of time get points taken away. more for being to fast that way it controls the speed. dont call it a rally, because everyone will want to drive fast. they had 3 SUV's roll!!! and yes i agree i do rallycross and have drove in some local races (Rim of the world is comming) it is a blast. And there are businesses out there that put these thing on...good luck...

Rallyes have been done here in and other places quite frequently. It's all in the management. The rallye I plan on doing for August is a scavenger hunt type rallye.

Legality....hmmm the rallyes (non=GPS) that I have done state very clearly that you are in charge of your own vehicle and any consequences that happen because of your driving is your own.

That makes sense to me because let's say I do a cache out in the woods. Just a normal one. I trip and fall in the woods and break my ankle. Is Geocaching responsible? No. Because of the disclaimer.

So I think if you present the rallyer in a way that everyone has time to do the cache, and offer a point system along the way for how they complete items then you can rest easier knowing that its a bit safer. But nothing is perfectly safe.

take care

W.i.b

I think it is a great idea !! Since I also road rally, let me offer some suggestions. You don't want your participants suffering any traffic violations or ending up in jail. So why not determine the shortest course of travel to the locations, measure that distance, give the participants an average speed to travel (say 30 miles per hour), have participants depart anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes apart. You can calculate the exact time they should arrive and clock them in at each location. Give them points for early or late arrival at the location (ie. 0 for exactly on time; 1 point for every hundreth of a minute early or late). Low score wins. If you want to know more contact me.

TSD(time, speed, distance) rallies are the type people seem to be advocating. My club(sccv-sports car club of vermont) does a few TSD rallies. The first and foremost rule is to obey all traffic laws. Anyone viewed breaking the laws is disqualified. However the ultimate goal is to match the time of the rally master who set up the course and obeyed all traffic laws to begin with.

A GPS rally could be set up the same way. "The rally master hit these way points" but do not disclose the time. "Tulips" are hints on a rally, with cryptic clues on the rally. Ie take your first right after seeing "Maple grove" on a sign.

I think it could be done in a challenging way, without the speed element being involved. Find your local SCCA club, and talk to a rallymaster. I'm sure the concept would generate enough interest, that you would get plenty of help.

AchStone

I mean to plant a "road rallye" geocache sometime. It will not be a "group" event nor a "timed" event. It will guide finders over some scenic roads. Anybody can search for it at any time, like any cache. I'm thinking of tacking reflector tapes in coded patterns mid-way up on telephone poles. Each "pattern" is decoded, using a matrix table on the instruction page, to determine the coordinates of the next such pole. Each one also gives you part of the "cache" coordinates. After finding all the poles (in the right order), using GPS and driving the scenic course, you head for the cache location and stop to find it.

I used to do gimmick rallies. I've only done a few TSD rallies and while they're nice, they aren't the puzzle-solving type of activity I like. Anyway, it seems like GC and a gimmick rally could go together well but would take a lot of effort to set up.

An example of a 'gimmick'. The rally instructions give definitions and then directions to follow to reach the final destination. A defintion might be: "Stop sign -- a red and white sign that controls your progress". While the instruction might say: "Turn left at first stop sign".

For the expert, they see a red and white 'Yield' sign and recognize that it matches the definition and turn left. The novice doesn't recognize that and continues on, eventually turning left at a 'real' stop sign.

What the rally organizer does is put [i can't remember the term now...I don't think it was checkpoint.] something at each location. Your overall score is based on how closely you adhered to the designer's course as indicated by the points you logged.

I don't know if that is clear or not.

You can have a road rally and solve the speeding issue by sending drivers to checkpoints along the way. Drive the proposed course yourself at exactly the proper speed limit (traffic allowing) and at the same of time of day the rally will take place. Penalize drivers by docking their time if the arrive to early. If they arrive late, well then, it sucks to be them. Only problem with this is you need some volunteers to monitor the checkpoints and record times.

Easy fix for the speeding thing.

Everyone who enters must submit the tracklog from their GPS. If at anytime they went over the speed limit for the road they were on they are disqualified.

If you plot them all on different layers of TOPO USA then you can have both entertainment watching wrong turns and such, and creative ideas on how to get from point a to b.

A = A

I held a road rally here in Calgary about a month ago. It wasn't a TSD more for safety sake than anything else. I went strictly on the shortest distance covered while visiting all the caches I had stashed. Everyone that participated thought it was a great idea and a lot safer than trying to do it in the fastest time. Especially since some of them had the kids and dogs along. Confirmation was done by zeroing the trip log at the start and collecting the tracklogs after. I held mine in the city so I didn't want to go the TSD way. If it is held out in the woods someplace it might be feasible. But either way it's a great idea to get together with other cachers in your area.

If it ain't awkward it ain't fun.

I am new to Geocaching and was wondering the same thing you are suggesting?

I think you would have to do it sort of private,

you know within certain Geo clubs or with a limited number of people.

In what short time I have been doing this it is really fun but, I also was wanting to make the hunt more wortwhile so when I find caches I try to leave nice things that someone would want to take.

It would be interesting to create somthing

like CBS' The Amazing Race involving Geocaching??

Hey, my name is Pace...I've been trying to do the same thing here in Jersey...we did smaller one in the state...and the entrance fee was $200 bucks!!!...we split that in half..one half went to our company and the other went to the "Prize Pot"....lets try to do something across state???....Ideas???

ok, here is the idea

find a state park that has hiking trails, small pond (river to canoe down is better) and other out doors areas.

All contestants start out with a 15 minute stagger start , the team starts at the point that coressponds to their team# multiplied by 2 (so if you have 1 cache inbetween each team) you will need stop watches for each team. The idea is not to have to find the cache to find the coords to the next stop, but to have a secret word in the cache that must be written down, or a stamper they must stamp their page with.

hide the caches or stops along the river bed's in bouys, under bridges, in the actual water m etc...., and of course the notmal caching locations.

This would be an all-day event

so at the beginning lets say you have 15 teams 30 micro-caches, team 12 starts at point# 24 and continues to point 25 and on up, once they have made it to each cache they return to the starting point,

Yet, the only way I can think of to make sure that they follow the order of the caches is to NOT give them all the coords in advance, but make them find the caches to find the coords.

imagine laying this out along an area of a 10 mile radius, all leaving one parking lot at one time

It would be interesting to create somthing<BR>like CBS' The Amazing Race involving Geocaching??

I like you're amazing race idea. I was actually looking for a created "mission" across the US finding Geocaches. Something like the amazing race except you're against yourself. I wonder if there is anyone who has organized something like that. I know I could do it just by looking up each state, but it would be so much more fun if it was already a planned mission, perhaps composed of really great, mildly hard, caches. Do you know of anything like that? Or does anyone?

Use hiking, boats and bikes instead of cars so the speed is not an issue...

An even better idea is to use your feet.

Do it off the road on trail.

I like the woods better that the hiways.

And as for a cross country trek.

After June we will have covered from coast to coast.

From Plymouth Rock to Cape Disappointment.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1