Why do people put food in caches?

Saw_Bones

I ended up spraying said cache with ant spray and banged it out before sticking it back, taking out the ruined items and the ruined label that it was a geochache. Its a cache who's owner hasn't been active since august. From what I heard from my local group they've had everything from unused tampons and diapers to matches and lighters. Only thing we can do is clean it up.

Also thanks for the stories they made my day :P

Um, not to criticise, but please don't do this.

You're spraying pesticides into a container that someone is going to come and stick their hands in. Kids, maybe!

I'd rather find an ant-covered cache that I can choose to not touch than unwittingly play with a pesticide-covered container and its contents.

After you walk away, would you want to pull a snack out of your pocket and eat it with RAID!-covered hands?

Better thing to do its post a NM log, which will alert the CO to do the necessary cleanup and hopefully alert other cachers. If you can put a note on the outside, that might be good, too.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

I ended up spraying said cache with ant spray and banged it out before sticking it back, taking out the ruined items and the ruined label that it was a geochache. Its a cache who's owner hasn't been active since august. From what I heard from my local group they've had everything from unused tampons and diapers to matches and lighters. Only thing we can do is clean it up.

You're spraying pesticides into a container that someone is going to come and stick their hands in. Kids, maybe!

I'd rather find an ant-covered cache that I can choose to not touch than unwittingly play with a pesticide-covered container and its contents.

After you walk away, would you want to pull a snack out of your pocket and eat it with RAID!-covered hands?

Better thing to do its post a NM log, which will alert the CO to do the necessary cleanup and hopefully alert other cachers. If you can put a note on the outside, that might be good, too.

After we access any cache, we use alcohol and/or a handi wipe.

I don't even light a smoke without washing my hands after touching a cache and wouldn't think of eating anything without washing my hands first.

When many of the plastic hides have mold of some form in them, you really shouldn't be anywhere near your mouth or handling food without some care.

Guilty exactly once. I picked up a cool Star Wars lightsaber (that lit up!); the handle was a hollow tube with a sealed pack of M&Ms. I knew I was heading to a brand new cache that was specifically geared towards toys for kids. I figured it wouldn't stay long, and even if the kid wasn't allowed to eat the candy, he or she at least got a neat toy. I of course regretted it ten minutes after driving away. None of the next few logs mentioned it, so I suppose I was lucky.

I don't know why people put food items in caches. Maybe they didn't have anything else to trade. Anyway, I found a couple of caches with candy in it and it was melted all over the inside of the cache. (Yuck!)

Food items/candy are just a bad idea. It attracts ants, insects, and animals. That goes for scented items too.

Yes, absolutely do not spray pesticides on a cache. People will be handling it. However, I am impressed that you had ant spray with you. Talk about being prepared? :blink:

I don't even light a smoke without washing my hands after touching a cache and wouldn't think of eating anything without washing my hands first.

When many of the plastic hides have mold of some form in them, you really shouldn't be anywhere near your mouth or handling food without some care.

Not to be rude, but why are you obsessed about hand-washing and avoiding mold when you're knowingly sucking in Tar,

Arsenic,Benzene, Cadmium, Formaldehyde, Polonium-210, Chromium, 1,3-Butadiene,Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons,

Nitrosamines, and Acrolein, among other chemicals?

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/smokingandtobacco/whatsinacigarette/smoking-and-cancer-whats-in-a-cigarette

Not to be rude, but why are you obsessed about hand-washing and avoiding mold when you're knowingly sucking in Tar,

Arsenic,Benzene, Cadmium, Formaldehyde, Polonium-210, Chromium, 1,3-Butadiene,Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons,

Nitrosamines, and Acrolein, among other chemicals?

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/smokingandtobacco/whatsinacigarette/smoking-and-cancer-whats-in-a-cigarette

Whether I smoke or not has nothing to do with the subject.

If you read the entire post, the poster said, "After you walk away, would you want to pull a snack out of your pocket and eat it with RAID!-covered hands?"

- Not to be rude, but You wouldn't wash your hands if eating after touching a moldy or Raid-covered cache?

Edited by cerberus1

Leaving edible things in a cache will draw ants and critters, thus the reason for that guideline. It is still done because some folks, even a few that Geocache, are not capable of intelligent thought (just watch them drive).

Don't know if deer really love the tobacco, or just understand that it is a great dewormer.