Getting to know the forum

jthurle2

My husband and I started caching last summer. I became interested in caching while taking a literacy class for my Ed.d work at the U of R, in which i have learned there are many cool hidden caches. We soon became addicted. I began logging our finds, though not faithfully. We have found many caches and have had many good life learning experiences while on our adventures. I have heard stories about some players not putting the cach back after planting an item inside. Is this true? there has been one cach that is almost impossible to find. We returned this week and still cannot find it, though we will keep looking.

Am I a lurker? Not quite sure! I do wish I had more time for caching. this forum jazz is new to me and is going to be my digital experience for the class I'm taking now on Advanced Seminar Digital Epstemologies. I hope to find through this interaction how humans use geocaching in relation to digital literacies for learning. I am welccome to some feedback in any form

My husband and I started caching last summer. I became interested in caching while taking a literacy class for my Ed.d work at the U of R, in which i have learned there are many cool hidden caches. We soon became addicted. I began logging our finds, though not faithfully. We have found many caches and have had many good life learning experiences while on our adventures. I have heard stories about some players not putting the cach back after planting an item inside. Is this true?

I suppose it happens from time to time. The cache should be replaced as found however.

Am I a lurker? Not quite sure! I do wish I had more time for caching. this forum jazz is new to me and is going to be my digital experience for the class I'm taking now on Advanced Seminar Digital Epstemologies. I hope to find through this interaction how humans use geocaching in relation to digital literacies for learning. I am welccome to some feedback in any form

You're wondering how I 'use geocaching in relation to digital literacies for learning'? I'm not sure exactly what you're asking... :huh:

I suppose you could say we have to have some from of digital literacy in order to geocache at all, and I'm learning every day I'm involved in it. How to use other software related to it (more digital literacy), and learning, through geocaching, about many great places in the world, and eve my own community that I wasn't aware of.

And yes, many times a cache isn't returned correctly to its hiding spot. I've gone out to do maintenance on my own cache and had trouble finding it.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

My husband and I started caching last summer. I became interested in caching while taking a literacy class for my Ed.d work at the U of R, in which i have learned there are many cool hidden caches. We soon became addicted. I began logging our finds, though not faithfully. We have found many caches and have had many good life learning experiences while on our adventures. I have heard stories about some players not putting the cach back after planting an item inside. Is this true? there has been one cach that is almost impossible to find. We returned this week and still cannot find it, though we will keep looking.

Well, there are probably dozens of Universities that call themselves "U of R", but I looked at your finds in your profile, and sure enough, it's the one that's about 70 miles from me, the University of Rochester (NY). :lol: I'll have to ponder your question, but in the meantime, I can tell you that in addition to this forum, there is a pretty active one (by the standards of local Geocaching forums being active) at www.georoc.org and you should ask the friendly local cachers there too.

There has been one cach that is almost impossible to find. We returned this week and still cannot find it, though we will keep looking.

This doesn't necessarily prove that the cache is missing. Many experienced cachers return several times for tough ones. If it's a D-1.5, it shouldn't require that kind of effort. Has it been marked "found" recently?

My husband and I started caching last summer. I became interested in caching while taking a literacy class for my Ed.d work at the U of R, in which i have learned there are many cool hidden caches. We soon became addicted. I began logging our finds, though not faithfully. We have found many caches and have had many good life learning experiences while on our adventures. I have heard stories about some players not putting the cach back after planting an item inside. Is this true?

I suppose it happens from time to time. The cache should be replaced as found however.

You're wondering how I 'use geocaching in relation to digital literacies for learning'? I'm not sure exactly what you're asking... :huh:

What are some of the practices you use? Do you think that spending time in an affinity space is beneficial to learning?

Well, there are probably dozens of Universities that call themselves "U of R", but I looked at your finds in your profile, and sure enough, it's the one that's about 70 miles from me, the University of Rochester (NY). :lol: I'll have to ponder your question, but in the meantime, I can tell you that in addition to this forum, there is a pretty active one (by the standards of local Geocaching forums being active) at www.georoc.org and you should ask the friendly local cachers there too.

Thank you for your input :rolleyes: I will check out the other forum as well. Yes, I am studying at the University of Rochester. Ponder on and bring some thought to my question :)

Well we did need to learn a bit more about GPSrs and coordinates after we stumbled upon our first cache (by accident). That was driven by our desire to find more. Beyond that, we use Geocaching for relaxation. The computer side of the game is a necessary evil that we do not plan on expanding beyond loading caches and posting logs. Take for example GSAK. It sounds like it's the greatest thing since slice bread for most, but just seems anti relaxing to me. :)

There has been one cach that is almost impossible to find. We returned this week and still cannot find it, though we will keep looking.

This doesn't necessarily prove that the cache is missing. Many experienced cachers return several times for tough ones. If it's a D-1.5, it shouldn't require that kind of effort. Has it been marked "found" recently?

I did recheck and it was found in January this year, however they did add new hints and new coordinants that I did not review. will try again this weekend, thanks for the input :)

What are some of the practices you use? Do you think that spending time in an affinity space is beneficial to learning?

Affinity space? Like, a place that includes stuff we like? I had a hard time when I started geocaching learning the lingo there. I'm 1 step from finishing my MEd, and I can only guess about the lingo you're using in these forum posts!

If you're looking for test subjects, look no further. In terms of social science research, the qualitative data analysis alone of the contents of these forums could create enough work for hundreds of research assistants for many, many years.

That said, if I understand your question, I think the intent of the Groundspeak forums is to provide a space where those who enjoy geocaching can ask questions, offer answers, and find ways to build on knowledge without pressure or assessment of learning. Different learning curves are always apparent, but rarely identified directly. The forums, however, can provide a space where some feel welcome to ask questions. (See the "Getting Started" or "How Do I" boards for more on that...) In the general forum, there is clearly more anxiety and consternation about issues related to geocaching...of which we all share an affinity...in this space. :anicute:

That said, I think that some can find the forums scary, dangerous, difficult and uninviting. But so is a cool swimming pool with a dip of only your toe. Most that participate, regularly or periodically, find that this "affinity space" can be used to build on the knowledge and understanding that can be difficult to have in a completely informal, passive learning framework.

In the absence of local geocacher community outreach and education programs, many cachers are left to their own interpretation of the game. Without mentorship, leadership, active instruction, or the like, many find themselves in breach of the guidelines, or burn out. (Or become the target of rants within this forum topic!) When more active in their learning process--through local organizations, online learning tools, mentorship, event attendance, group geocache outings, etc.--geocachers learn more clearly the detailed nuance of the game. Add in participation in this sometimes chilly and uninviting pool, and I think this "affinity space" is a descent location to build on your geocaching knowledge and understanding.

If only we could assess that understanding and perceived knowledge... :laughing::anicute::anibad:

An affinity space? I have no idea what you're talking about. :blink:

I learn much faster if I enjoy the subject in question. Love geocaching...hence all sorts of informal learning has soaked in, both with respect to my GPS and otherwise.

Although...I must say that when I was learning to use my new Garmin 60csx, a process which involved much gnashing of teeth after being spoiled by the infinitely-more-user-friendly smartphone app, "affinity" is not the word that I would have used. :)

Affinity space? Like, a place that includes stuff we like? I had a hard time when I started geocaching learning the lingo there. I'm 1 step from finishing my MEd, and I can only guess about the lingo you're using in these forum posts!

If you're looking for test subjects, look no further. In terms of social science research, the qualitative data analysis alone of the contents of these forums could create enough work for hundreds of research assistants for many, many years.

That said, if I understand your question, I think the intent of the Groundspeak forums is to provide a space where those who enjoy geocaching can ask questions, offer answers, and find ways to build on knowledge without pressure or assessment of learning. Different learning curves are always apparent, but rarely identified directly. The forums, however, can provide a space where some feel welcome to ask questions. (See the "Getting Started" or "How Do I" boards for more on that...) In the general forum, there is clearly more anxiety and consternation about issues related to geocaching...of which we all share an affinity...in this space. :anicute:

That said, I think that some can find the forums scary, dangerous, difficult and uninviting. But so is a cool swimming pool with a dip of only your toe. Most that participate, regularly or periodically, find that this "affinity space" can be used to build on the knowledge and understanding that can be difficult to have in a completely informal, passive learning framework.

In the absence of local geocacher community outreach and education programs, many cachers are left to their own interpretation of the game. Without mentorship, leadership, active instruction, or the like, many find themselves in breach of the guidelines, or burn out. (Or become the target of rants within this forum topic!) When more active in their learning process--through local organizations, online learning tools, mentorship, event attendance, group geocache outings, etc.--geocachers learn more clearly the detailed nuance of the game. Add in participation in this sometimes chilly and uninviting pool, and I think this "affinity space" is a descent location to build on your geocaching knowledge and understanding.

If only we could assess that understanding and perceived knowledge... :laughing::anicute::anibad:

I enjoyed your response, and yes I feel this is a very cool and laid back forum. however, I have not really participated in a forum before. this forum is cool because it connects the physical play of the game to the online participation of the affinity space. An affinity space being locations where groups of people are drawn together because of a shared, strong interest or engagement in a common activity. My arguement is that can an affinity space be a community of practice for learners? Learning is informal outside of the classroom and class, age , gender, or race is not relevant to participation for this learning environment. So what are your thoughts? Do you think there can be informal learning within this space?

I enjoyed your response, and yes I feel this is a very cool and laid back forum. however, I have not really participated in a forum before. this forum is cool because it connects the physical play of the game to the online participation of the affinity space. An affinity space being locations where groups of people are drawn together because of a shared, strong interest or engagement in a common activity. My arguement is that can an affinity space be a community of practice for learners? Learning is informal outside of the classroom and class, age , gender, or race is not relevant to participation for this learning environment. So what are your thoughts? Do you think there can be informal learning within this space?

I think I addressed that in my post. But, yeah, I think there is plenty of informal learning that happens here in the forums.

our they take it home with them and they put it out when they feel like it im pretty sure thats one cache in our area