Logan, WV

Team Bostradamus

If you're in the Logan area, you do have plenty of activity in your area. whbaisden and Spongebob Cachepants are very active around the Williamson-Pikeville area. They often hide large numbers of caches in the area. They will also be having a second Hatfield-McCoy event this year.

I see where they do alot for the area to support caching and I'm very thankful for that, and I plan on attending the Hatfield & McCoy trail event..

but if you cache around Logan (Williamson/Pikeville is about 45 minutes to an hour from here) you'll see that way too many caches are missing and not many are being placed..

There are a handful of active people, and I'm having a blast, don't get me wrong, I'd just like to see more people getting into it and keeping up with what they place.

I placed my 3rd one today, I figure if I place interesting and fun caches it might spur more activity from the people with more experience than me to keep going.. and I've introduced several more people to caching this last month..

I'd like to meet some of the veteran cachers around here and pick their brains a lil' too! I'm sure there's alot I could learn from them

It sounds like you're doing what it takes to get people active in your area. I'll have to come down there soon and check out your caches. It looks like we have a number of caches around there we need to find. We live in St. Albans and often find ourselves in places like Ashland, KY since they seem more active than the Charleston area. Of chose the fact that we grab many caches as soon as they come out around here affects our perception.

Keep hiding them and others will probably do the same. Maybe WVhunter74 will hide some more around there.

While more active in the northern part of the state, MAGPI (and sMAGPI in the closer-to-Charleston area) have numerous events each year, as well as a forum: http://magpi.us/.

When I started caching, my husband and I lived in the Huntington area and found much the same situation. But it only took a few good, enthusiastic cachers to turn it around.

I've also found that when cutting into any new area you always seem to notice an abundance of abandoned or problematic caches (take a look around Wheeling or Charleston). I travel a fair bit and every time I create a pocket query for an area I seem to notice the problem. If a cache genuinely seems problematic, I place it on my ignore list, which I periodically review to see if the cache has been replaced, repaired, archived, and etc. This system has helped me overcome the frustration it sounds like you have. It doesn't fix the greater problem of inattentive cache owners, but it keeps you from constantly seeing the neglected caches.