Off-line paperless caching?

I'm not a Premium Member (I know, shame on me). I generally research my vacation caches, download the files into EasyGPS, and then print the cache descriptions. I want to eliminate the paper part. I do not have a smartphone but do have an iPod Touch i'd like to use. i downloaded GeoBucket but I do not think it'll do what I want without being a Premium Member. Any suggestions? I'm only an occasional catcher so I really don't want to spend $30 annually on a membership.

Thanks!

I'm not a Premium Member (I know, shame on me). I generally research my vacation caches, download the files into EasyGPS, and then print the cache descriptions. I want to eliminate the paper part. I do not have a smartphone but do have an iPod Touch i'd like to use. i downloaded GeoBucket but I do not think it'll do what I want without being a Premium Member. Any suggestions? I'm only an occasional catcher so I really don't want to spend $30 annually on a membership.

Thanks!

As a basic member you can only get the description and logs off a cache page. Copy the info manually and store it somewhere cache by cache. Sounds a little time consuming. You can still load cache name and coordinates to the GPS with .loc files.

Even if it is worth $10.00 to make that much quicker ($10 for a Three month Premium Membership which should be enough to cover vacation season), if you don't have a newer paperless GPS, you still don't have an optimum solution. The same Premium Member data I can load to a GPS with EasyGPS, I can also load to a Palm PDA via CacheMate. Perhaps it's also compatible with your iPod Touch.

Easiest and most convenient ain't free.

Thanks your reply, I appreciate your input.

I didn't know about the 3-month membership, although I see it's reoccurring so I'll have to remember to cancel it. I do not have current GPS, just an old Garmin eTrex Legend that we also use while riding our dirt bikes. But I think if I get the shorter Premium Membership, I can download the info I want to my iPod Touch. It means using two devices, but at least when my hubby asks me what we're looking for, I can tell him without searching for the right piece of paper.

I guess I just need to figure out how to mark the caches I want and how to get them into GeoBucket. Will Easy GPS store cache descriptions? If so, I already have what I want (I think).

Suggestions, help appreciated!

Thanks your reply, I appreciate your input.

I didn't know about the 3-month membership, although I see it's reoccurring so I'll have to remember to cancel it. I do not have current GPS, just an old Garmin eTrex Legend that we also use while riding our dirt bikes. But I think if I get the shorter Premium Membership, I can download the info I want to my iPod Touch. It means using two devices, but at least when my hubby asks me what we're looking for, I can tell him without searching for the right piece of paper.

I guess I just need to figure out how to mark the caches I want and how to get them into GeoBucket. Will Easy GPS store cache descriptions? If so, I already have what I want (I think).

Suggestions, help appreciated!

I have to admit I didn't thing about carrying along a netbook / notebook with EasyGPS on it. Opening a Premium Member PQ with EasyGPS will enable you to read Difficulty, Terrain, FULL Hints, Size, Cache Type, Placed Date, Placed By and a few other minor details. However the Long Description and some Logs plus even more minor details are only available on the $74.95 paid upgrade to ExpertGPS (if you are interested a 10% discount is available).

Or are you asking about manually (Free) dropping description text in EasyGPS? Since EasyGPS is a FREE program you can download it and test anything you want to your hearts content. And there is a FREE demo period to download and evaluate ExpertGPS.

I had requested some time back that Groundspeak make available a sample PQ for testing purposes for potential new users. I still think there is an in house Groundspeak need for that. However Groundspeak was totally deaf to my suggestion. No money in it I guess. However, just today I learned that a third party has supposedly made that available. I have not tested that.

Here is a helpful link: FAQ Update - Pocket Queries

See Step 6: What do I do now? for a link to download EasyGPS. Then there will be a link from within EasyGPS to download a demo of ExpertGPS.

And farther down in Step 6 see the very end of: Tips and Tricks - Need a sample of a GPX file?

Supposedly there are files available FREE for testing purposes. What a concept.

I didn't know about the 3-month membership, although I see it's reoccurring so I'll have to remember to cancel it.

If you are forgetful like me, see if one of your credit cards offers a virtual card number, also known as a one time use card. Use that to pay for your three months and it cannot be automatically charged again three months later. It's usually free and activated online via your account login.

I also think Groundspeak is good about sending you notices before they do the auto recharge so if you check your mail regularly you should be okay.

I don't know the iPad or EasyGPS so I can't help with you paperless problem.

I gave up on the app called GeoBucket. Although it claimed you could use it off-line, it didn't seem to work and I couldn't get caches loaded into it.

However, I found another app called Looking4Cache. This does exactly what I want.

With my new 3- month Premium Membership I figured out to run a PQ based on someone's shared list. And tonight I created one of my own.

I was able to load the PQs into the app. I can see all the cache info. I can even see them on a map. And I can see them off-line. Very cool.

I loaded it on my iPad to test it and then loaded it one my iPod Touch. I'll use the iPod when caching. Hoping this all works well.