Etrex20 - Show Tracks On Map

gcfishguy

Finally broke down and bought myself a replacement for the 60CSx.

Been playing with it for a while now, but the tracks are different than I'm used to.

I will be using it on the ATV, and want to have ATV trails on it. I cleaned up a bunch of trails, and I have 44 different tracks I want to drop on the GPS. Problem is....you have to go into each one and enable "Show On Map"..?? There's GOT to be a way to send a bunch of tracks to it and have them all show on the map by default. I'm a pretty good Googler, but I haven't found the answer to this one.... :-(

I'm using Mapsource (with TopoCanada V4), but have Basecamp also... I will hang onto Mapsource for as long as I possibly can. It's what I learned on, and it's what I like. In truth, Basecamp's only fault is that it isn't Mapsource.....

Anyway....I upgraded to the 20 for paperless caching, but being able to store 200 tracks as opposed to 20 was a BIG factor....they can't expect you to joystick in and out of 200 tracks to enable each one of them?

Thanks!!!

Yep. I've been using GPX2IMG to build transparent IMGs for the 60CSx and that's been a good solution so far, but I was hoping to be able to simplify things by being able to take advantage of the 200 tracks on the Etrex20. It's looking like having to go into each track and display it on the map is going to be the wrench in the gears of that plan...

Garmin! Menu button - Show All Tracks On Map You listening?? :-)

Well, giving this a little bump.....I used the 20 a bit and ended up selling it to get an Oregon 450 instead. Given that this pain of going into EACH track and selecting 'Show On Map' is common to all the handhelds running similar software, my question stands. :-)

Bumping in hopes that there might be a way to have the GPSr show all tracks by default, or to flag them in Basecamp to show on the map before sending them to the unit.

Well, giving this a little bump.....I used the 20 a bit and ended up selling it to get an Oregon 450 instead. Given that this pain of going into EACH track and selecting 'Show On Map' is common to all the handhelds running similar software, my question stands. :-)

Bumping in hopes that there might be a way to have the GPSr show all tracks by default, or to flag them in Basecamp to show on the map before sending them to the unit.

Unfortunately, there is no way to have all tracks be displayed by default. The reason is quite simple. Each GPSr has a limit to the number of tracks it can actively index and display on the map, and if the number of tracks you loaded on the GPSr exceeded this number, how would the GPSr know which one to index and display?

Unfortunately, there is no way to have all tracks be displayed by default.

Apparently it is possible, but therefore your unit seems to be buggy, as eTrexes 20/30 with current FW 2.90 are.

Read here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=308686&view=findpost&p=5222711

Yes, well, they just resolved that bug in the Oregon x50's, and I assume they will do the same for the eTrex in the next firmware release as well!