Trouble with Geocoins I Bought Online! :(

Electrovorhe

So I bought some Geocoins off of eBay from this guy who claimed that he was selling them for a friend who was no longer interested in Geocaching and wanted to get rid of his old coins. I've recently started buying and selling Geocoins online to make myself a little money for Geocoins that I want myself for my own personal collection. So far it has been so good, but I bought these coins from this guy in what is called a box-lot (basically a group of coins in one sale rather than buying each coin individually).

The seller said that the coins were activated and that he would have his friend transfer ownership of them over to me once the sale was complete. Well the sale went through, I got what I thought was a fair price for the coins (although not a too-good-to-be-true type of good price that aroused any suspicion), and then I waited, and waited, and waited. After numerous emails and inquiries the only thing I have heard from him is that his friend will send me the Adoption Requests "soon." Then nothing. I filed a complaint with eBay but they just say that they can do nothing about it and basically that it is not the seller's fault because he cannot control what other people do and that this one is on me. Oh and by the way, I did check before I placed my bid on the item and the seller had feedback score of over 1500 and a 100%n positive feedback rating (which is very good for any non-eBay users reading this: it basically means that he has had sold over 1500 items with satisfied buyers who gave positive feedback and in the last 12 months 100% of his buyers have given him positive feedback scores).

Here is where what I want to figure out what to do from you guys: I checked the coins and they all belong to a different Geocaching account. Some have been circulated, others not, but no two from the same account. Now that seems very fishy to me and when I saw this my first thought was that this was some guy who stole a bunch of coins from Geocaches and then sold them on eBay for his own profit. However, out of the 10 coins, I have emailed the owners via their Geocaching Account multiple times each (like 3 or 4 times per person) and not a single one has replied to any of my emails!! Some have even been on the Geocaching website many times since I've emailed them so I know they are still active users too, yet they don't respond to my emails about their coins!

Now I just want to know what I should do. I had planned on re-selling the coins to make a bit of profit (because I am hoping to fund all future Geocoin purchases in this way of buying & selling Geocoins, and possibly other items on eBay too), but I don't want to sell them if they really are someone's stolen coins! While it is a bit of a bummer to lose the profit I was hoping for, I have no problem with returning the coins to the owners if they truely were stolen, but it has been over two months now and I still haven't heard from the coin owners of the coins on Geocaching.com or more than just that one email from the seller on eBay saying his friend would transfer ownership to me "soon," (which by now I doubt will ever happen).

I bought these coins back in mid-December and I have just been left in limbo for months not knowing what to do! I just want answers to figure out what to do. I am just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and sell them as I planned with a notation of the issue, or hold them in my possession waiting for an email reply from the owners here on Geocaching.com? Whose replies I am starting to believe will never come!

Groundspeak's policy was rather vague and didn't help at all either. It just said that "Keeping or selling a Trackable which doesn't belong to you is frowned upon, unless you have received express permission from its owner." That tells me absolutely nothing either!

SOMEONE HELP! PLEASE!!! :(

So I bought some Geocoins off of eBay from this guy who claimed that he was selling them for a friend who was no longer interested in Geocaching and wanted to get rid of his old coins. I've recently started buying and selling Geocoins online to make myself a little money for Geocoins that I want myself for my own personal collection. So far it has been so good, but I bought these coins from this guy in what is called a box-lot (basically a group of coins in one sale rather than buying each coin individually).

The seller said that the coins were activated and that he would have his friend transfer ownership of them over to me once the sale was complete. Well the sale went through, I got what I thought was a fair price for the coins (although not a too-good-to-be-true type of good price that aroused any suspicion), and then I waited, and waited, and waited. After numerous emails and inquiries the only thing I have heard from him is that his friend will send me the Adoption Requests "soon." Then nothing. I filed a complaint with eBay but they just say that they can do nothing about it and basically that it is not the seller's fault because he cannot control what other people do and that this one is on me. Oh and by the way, I did check before I placed my bid on the item and the seller had feedback score of over 1500 and a 100%n positive feedback rating (which is very good for any non-eBay users reading this: it basically means that he has had sold over 1500 items with satisfied buyers who gave positive feedback and in the last 12 months 100% of his buyers have given him positive feedback scores).

Here is where what I want to figure out what to do from you guys: I checked the coins and they all belong to a different Geocaching account. Some have been circulated, others not, but no two from the same account. Now that seems very fishy to me and when I saw this my first thought was that this was some guy who stole a bunch of coins from Geocaches and then sold them on eBay for his own profit. However, out of the 10 coins, I have emailed the owners via their Geocaching Account multiple times each (like 3 or 4 times per person) and not a single one has replied to any of my emails!! Some have even been on the Geocaching website many times since I've emailed them so I know they are still active users too, yet they don't respond to my emails about their coins!

Now I just want to know what I should do. I had planned on re-selling the coins to make a bit of profit (because I am hoping to fund all future Geocoin purchases in this way of buying & selling Geocoins, and possibly other items on eBay too), but I don't want to sell them if they really are someone's stolen coins! While it is a bit of a bummer to lose the profit I was hoping for, I have no problem with returning the coins to the owners if they truely were stolen, but it has been over two months now and I still haven't heard from the coin owners of the coins on Geocaching.com or more than just that one email from the seller on eBay saying his friend would transfer ownership to me "soon," (which by now I doubt will ever happen).

I bought these coins back in mid-December and I have just been left in limbo for months not knowing what to do! I just want answers to figure out what to do. I am just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and sell them as I planned with a notation of the issue, or hold them in my possession waiting for an email reply from the owners here on Geocaching.com? Whose replies I am starting to believe will never come!

Groundspeak's policy was rather vague and didn't help at all either. It just said that "Keeping or selling a Trackable which doesn't belong to you is frowned upon, unless you have received express permission from its owner." That tells me absolutely nothing either!

Best case solution would be to request a refund before the Paypal 45 days limit is up but since it was mid-December I suspect it has already past. If you have contacted the owners of the coin already, there isn't much else you can do. I have had a similar but not exactly the same experience where the seller purchased the coins in an estate auction. I tried contacting the seller and he could not produce a bill of sale from the coins owner so Groundspeak would not transfer the coins. I tried contacting the owner but since it was supposedly an Estate sale from which it was bought, I received no replies. Eventually I put an note on each coins discovery page and put them on my watch list and set them free so I could treat them as coins released to travel. Not much else to do except to chalk it up to lesson learned. <_<

It's difficult to advise you what to do.

But one thing I know for sure, you shouldn't sell coins, which are activated by someone else.

It's bad enough you fell for someone who obviously stole those coins, but you shouldn't put someone else in the situation to give you money, when you can't hand over the ownership via adoption as well.

I would feel cheeted, same as you do now.

I guess, I'd try writing again. Or maybe leave a note at the trackable in question, maybe these owners will read logs, while they don't read mails. (Or those might even end up in the spam folder, who knows...)

Edit: silly typo, I do make quite a few of those, sorry.

Edited by ElliPirelli

If you paid with a credit card through paypal I'd contact the credit card company to get my money back. Quickly too since they have a time limit for disputes also. Basically the transaction is "significantly not as described" in ebay terms because they were supposed to be transferred to you. If the seller can't transfer ownership and the real owners don't contact you, I'd consider them stolen property. I'm actually surprised that ebay didn't help you. Never ever let 45 days go by if you are having a problem with any paypal transaction. You can always drop the dispute afterwards but you can't initiate one. Also give the guy a negative feedback for sure.

What are the Reference Numbers for the coins? Usually, it's a number that starts with "TB" and is found in the upper right part of the coin's page. Do not post the Tracking Number, only the reference number.

As mentioned, post a Note on the coins' pages. When you PM somebody, send your email address and request that the recipient use it. Or post the URL for your cache profile, and ask for a PM from there. If the recipient replies to the "No-Reply" PM, you will get no reply.

You know if you have permission from the Owner to sell it if they post that specifically on the coin's page, or if they have Adopted it to you, among other things. You won't have to guess.

Before you buy "activated" coins, go to each coin's page and see if it looks like one that is OK to buy.

Edited by kunarion

1) I did file a dispute with eBay well within the 45 day limit, but that is what they came back to me with saying how the seller cannot be responsible for other people and then a bunch of links and stuff that they obviously just automatically copy-and-pasted into their reply about buyer safety tips and whatnot.

2) Also, I did leave negative feedback, but with the dispute process being ruled in the seller's favor it seems he petitioned to eBay to have it removed or something because it is gone now :/

3) I did post notes on the coins, but still nothing from that either.

4) What if on the page on eBay I specifically said in big bold letters about how what the issues are and how they cannot be transferred to the new person's ownership? Then they will know exactly what they are going to be getting with these coins (unlike me) and they can still have some nice coins for their own collection. What are people's opinions on me doing that??

1) I did file a dispute with eBay well within the 45 day limit, but that is what they came back to me with saying how the seller cannot be responsible for other people and then a bunch of links and stuff that they obviously just automatically copy-and-pasted into their reply about buyer safety tips and whatnot.

You can appeal this. Get on the phone to someone at ebay and tell them the problem. If they said in their ad that they can be adopted to you but in acutality they can't be then it's not as described. The seller is responsible for the items he sells. There must be something more to it than what you have posted. It doens't matter where the seller got the item from he is responsible for what he sells....

4) What if on the page on eBay I specifically said in big bold letters about how what the issues are and how they cannot be transferred to the new person's ownership? Then they will know exactly what they are going to be getting with these coins (unlike me) and they can still have some nice coins for their own collection. What are people's opinions on me doing that??

NOPE DO NOT SO THAT!! You would then be selling stolen coins as far as I am concerned. If you want your ebay reputation and feedback to be 100% don't even go there. You feel stuck now so don't do it to someone else.

NOPE DO NOT SO THAT!! You would then be selling stolen coins as far as I am concerned. If you want your ebay reputation and feedback to be 100% don't even go there. You feel stuck now so don't do it to someone else.

okay okay okay. I suppose your right. I suppose I'll just put them in my collection book for now to protect them until I hear from the owners, or the mayan's prophacy finally comes true and the earth implodes upon itself (the latter being more likely). <_<

~sigh~ Thanks for the help guys :)

I agree with LadyBee... get back to Ebay and let them know that the auction owner sold you what amounts to stolen property. Regardless of whether s/he knew it was stolen it is something that should not be passed on to Ebay buyers but resolved between the seller and the purported owner. Seller lie to you. Return the bad merchandise and get a refund with BIG feedback concern so future buyers won't be duped by this seller again.... or they won't be duped by their "friends" again.

okay okay okay. I suppose your right. I suppose I'll just put them in my collection book for now to protect them until I hear from the owners, or the mayan's prophacy finally comes true and the earth implodes upon itself (the latter being more likely). <_<

~sigh~ Thanks for the help guys :)

So are you not going to answer Post #5?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=307801&view=findpost&p=5210838

Oops sorry. Completely missed that one! Here are the TB Numbers:

TB22A8Y

TB24GBA

TB3RGT5

TB2FEAB

TB3ATKR

TB4QDT5

TB4ACB1

TB3B89B

TB4N7EN

TB53MX7

Also when I went to check for their TB Numbers I noticed that my notes I posted on the coins are gone. I forgot about those notifications. Also, I think some of the coins have proxies out there because some of them have supposedly moved from cache-to-cache since I obtained them.

what a nice group of people and responses...now from the dark side !

contact paypal...if that person said ownership of the coins would be tranfered upon completion of the sale and they failed to do that (i don't care who actually owns them...the seller said they would be transfered..it's their responsibility,) that, depending on the laws of the state the seller live in, i would assume (see Benny Hill's explanation of assume,) would appear to be fraudulent (i'm not an attorney.) as suggested above a call to e-bay would also be appropriate. if all else fails, perhaps a complaint to the IC3.

ILYK

and I know everyone keeps saying to appeal to eBay, but from their point of view what some website says doesn't matter. I have physical possession of the coins and to them physical possession equals ownership. So what Geocaching.com or Groundspeak has to say about it is irrelevant to them! <_<

That is just silly. That means that if my Montana gps was stolen even though it is registered to me on the garmin site whoever has it in their possession is now the owner. I guess that ebay is a great place to sell stolen goods right?

and I know everyone keeps saying to appeal to eBay, but from their point of view what some website says doesn't matter. I have physical possession of the coins and to them physical possession equals ownership. So what Geocaching.com or Groundspeak has to say about it is irrelevant to them! <_<

Even Groundspeak doesn't get involved. I kind of wish they would -- if you needed some help to reunite the stolen coins with their rightful owners, for example. They could facilitate the reuniting, maybe. If you could return these to their owners, would you? What kind of deal would you feel is fair?

I will not advise that you sell them, and definitely not on ebay (regardless of ebay's shady policies). These are stolen items, and even one owner making a petition over a sale, could get you into hot water (an owner might not limit their complaint to ebay only). At that point, ebay will wash their hands of you (don't you just love ebay? :anibad:).

If you make a log note (or a Discover) on those coin pages, with info on where they are now and how you got them, that's all anyone could ask.* I've always said that I don't care what happens to my Trackables, except they need the proper logs. If someone will be keeping my coin, at least post a log saying so. No more Trackables evaporating into the cosmos. Let's give the Owners some closure, considering they bought it, and now it's even more valuable -- so valuable, the current holder can't part with it.

*OK, it could be asked that you place all of them into caches and log doing so. But I understand the reasons why you don't. Many people are holding other people's coins for varying reasons, some reasons a little better than others.

Edited by kunarion
Here are the TB Numbers:

TB22A8Y

TB24GBA

TB3RGT5

TB2FEAB

TB3ATKR

TB4QDT5

TB4ACB1

TB3B89B

TB4N7EN

TB53MX7

Also when I went to check for their TB Numbers I noticed that my notes I posted on the coins are gone. I forgot about those notifications. Also, I think some of the coins have proxies out there because some of them have supposedly moved from cache-to-cache since I obtained them.

The first one is strange. It's "in the hands of the owner", and always has been (unless I missed something). Usually, the owner keeps a coin so it doesn't disappear. But that one did.

TB22A8Y

TB24GBA

TB3RGT5

TB2FEAB

TB3ATKR

TB4QDT5

TB4ACB1

TB3B89B

TB4N7EN

TB53MX7

I can't spot any notes of you, but all these trackables have one thing in common:

They have been discovered or moved by TC+12. Very strange.

You really have those coins in hand? Some of them seem to have proxies out in circulation, some have no record of being moved at all. Some seem to have their number out in some stupid gallery.

Oops sorry. Completely missed that one! Here are the TB Numbers:

TB22A8Y

TB24GBA

TB3RGT5

TB2FEAB

TB3ATKR

TB4QDT5

TB4ACB1

TB3B89B

TB4N7EN

TB53MX7

I wouldn't just put a note. I would put a log to put them into your hands. Notes don't give notifications or any sign of movement. Put them In your hands (grabbed from blah blah) and then leave a note for the owners in your comment and state you have the actual coin and you're trying to contact them with regards to said coin. Take a picture too. If one has a proxy out then that maybe a bit harder but hopefully the owner will see the real one before proxy is moved on.

I've now gone through the and most of them are in the hands of the owner with discovered via www.

One never even went into circulation went straight into collection.

Something funny there.

The companies that make geocoins wouldn't make multiple with the same code if they were asked to would they?

Better question are those coins made by the same company? (Example: landsharkz)

I've now gone through the and most of them are in the hands of the owner with discovered via www.

Something funny there.

The companies that make geocoins wouldn't make multiple with the same code if they were asked to would they?

It appears the discovery,s "www" are all virtual! I found an image, after "googling" it, of the first coin "Garmin Colorado" just by doing that! So the coins image is in the virtual world for anyone to "discover".

I wouldn't just put a note. I would put a log to put them into your hands. Notes don't give notifications or any sign of movement. Put them In your hands (grabbed from blah blah) and then leave a note for the owners in your comment and state you have the actual coin and you're trying to contact them with regards to said coin. Take a picture too.

Good suggestions!

If I bought coins that turned out to be... non-transferable... I'd just chalk it up as a lesson learned and try to return them to the Owners. I'd write to contact@geocaching.com, and cross my fingers and hope to contact somebody willing to look up a couple of things for me. I'd bet you could find a friend of a friend and get them all back "home". It's almost a bad idea to place these things back into the wilds, but that's the most straight-forward idea. There is some evidence that at least a couple of the listed coins were physically in caches at one time. If there's any suspicion at all that the original Owners are the ones who sold these things on ebay (releasing only "numbers" to be discovered), I'd do my best to prevent the next guy from falling for this scam.

Would Groundspeak at least un-delete and lock a coin log that has important information (such as "this was sold on ebay, number not transferable")?

I can't make sense of the listed Trackables -- were they ever released? How could they end up on ebay? It gets so confusing, it's no wonder TPTB don't even bother.

Edited by kunarion

I was informed of this thread by LadyBee4T and I do have my coin (the last one listed) in my possession. If the OP would like to show me proof that he has a coin with my Tracking Number on it and didn't just grab them off the web when pushed to do so then I would be much obliged! Thank You.

--TC+12

This has to be some kind of 'troll' post. W A Y too many similarities in all the subject 'coins'.

Besides TC+12 being involved in all the coins listed...

Not all are 'coins'. At least 1 is the Hummingbird travel tag. Another is apparently a dog tag traveler.

Logan's Fury is also involved in the logging of at least some of these items.

Logan's Fury on 5-15-12 logged almost 100,000 miles on TB4ACB1... coincidentally the 7th coin on Eltrovorhe's list.

The same coin that Logan's fury logged 100,000+ miles on 5-15-12, TC+12 and electrovorhe are also involved in.

TC+12 logged 5 virtual caches around the world on 4-29-12 (iirc) District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Florida, Japan ... and I think one other location.

The only coin Electro owns is a Boy Scout coin.

TC+12 also owns a Boy Scout coin

Then this ... http://coord.info/GC3NBBQ

You'll find while reading this that Chevron's Destiny, Logan's Fury, TC+12 and possibly more were involved in a scam cache as a joke.

Read the logs to the cache link above.

Now that electrovorhe knows we can track 'stuff' ... maybe enuff is enuff ... and maybe we should consider reporting all the accounts involved. << MODS take note and should really read all the logs involved with GC3NBBQ !!

Eveything about all these accounts appears to be bogus.

The one caveat to all ... TC+12 has several 'WANTS' and 'TRADES' in the "GEOCOIN TRADING, WANTS, OFFERS AND LISTS" thread.

TC+12's profile contains an avatar with another cacher he has not cached with (according to logs) and CacheKopas hasn't cached since some time before TC+12 created his account. This cacher (CacheKopas) has also cached with other names mentioned in the bogus cache above.

Time for mods and GS to put an end to these folks. If there is an apparent link between Boy Scouts and this foolishness ... then shame on them !! The BS have enough trouble right now.

Edited by nevadanick

This has to be some kind of 'troll' post. W A Y too many similarities in all the subject 'coins'.

Besides TC+12 being involved in all the coins listed...

Not all are 'coins'. At least 1 is the Hummingbird travel tag. Another is apparently a dog tag traveler.

Logan's Fury is also involved in the logging of at least some of these items.

Logan's Fury on 5-15-12 logged almost 100,000 miles on TB4ACB1... coincidentally the 7th coin on Eltrovorhe's list.

The same coin that Logan's fury logged 100,000+ miles on 5-15-12, TC+12 and electrovorhe are also involved in.

TC+12 logged 5 virtual caches around the world on 4-29-12 (iirc) District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Florida, Japan ... and I think one other location.

The only coin Electro owns is a Boy Scout coin.

TC+12 also owns a Boy Scout coin

Then this ... http://coord.info/GC3NBBQ

You'll find while reading this that Chevron's Destiny, Logan's Fury, TC+12 and possibly more were involved in a scam cache as a joke.

Read the logs to the cache link above.

Now that electrovorhe knows we can track 'stuff' ... maybe enuff is enuff ... and maybe we should consider reporting all the accounts involved. << MODS take note and should really read all the logs involved with GC3NBBQ !!

Eveything about all these accounts appears to be bogus.

The one caveat to all ... TC+12 has several 'WANTS' and 'TRADES' in the "GEOCOIN TRADING, WANTS, OFFERS AND LISTS" thread.

TC+12's profile contains an avatar with another cacher he has not cached with (according to logs) and CacheKopas hasn't cached since some time before TC+12 created his account. This cacher (CacheKopas) has also cached with other names mentioned in the bogus cache above.

Time for mods and GS to put an end to these folks. If there is an apparent link between Boy Scouts and this foolishness ... then shame on them !! The BS have enough trouble right now.

To answer this, CacheKopas is my friend Michele who got me into Geocaching. She never even started logging her finds until a couple months back and is still 2-3 years and nearly 1,000 caches finds behind in her logs. She always just found them for fun with her troop. As for the virtual caches I logged as found on 4/29/12, I did find them, just over the 4 years prior before I even started Geocaching. I wanted to log them since I had been to them on family vacations and just decided to do it on that day. The thing with Chevron's Destiny/Logan's Fury was a FORMER friend of mine who wanted to play a practical joke on me. I already went through a whole process with Groundspeak over that months ago and they cleared me of any wrongdoing. And I was an Eagle Scout. So just because one of like 40 coins I own is a Boy Scout coin and this Electrovordhe guy owns a different Boy Scout coin is really not the most damning evidence to ever exist! Quite honestly Nevadanick, I am offended by these ridiculous accusations you have made with no real proof what-so-ever!!

To answer this, CacheKopas is my friend Michele who got me into Geocaching. She never even started logging her finds until a couple months back and is still 2-3 years and nearly 1,000 caches finds behind in her logs. She always just found them for fun with her troop. As for the virtual caches I logged as found on 4/29/12, I did find them, just over the 4 years prior before I even started Geocaching. I wanted to log them since I had been to them on family vacations and just decided to do it on that day. The thing with Chevron's Destiny/Logan's Fury was a FORMER friend of mine who wanted to play a practical joke on me. I already went through a whole process with Groundspeak over that months ago and they cleared me of any wrongdoing. And I was an Eagle Scout. So just because one of like 40 coins I own is a Boy Scout coin and this Electrovordhe guy owns a different Boy Scout coin is really not the most damning evidence to ever exist! Quite honestly Nevadanick, I am offended by these ridiculous accusations you have made with no real proof what-so-ever!!

Be whatever you want to be. The logs at the posted cache speak for themselves.

If you aren't personally involved, then your 'buddies' are trying to suck you into another mis-adventure.

The logs also show that you yourself have been involved in bogus logging unless someone else is using your account. I highly doubt you were caching in Japan, DC, Pennsylvania and Florida ... all on the same day. That's from YOUR OWN logs.

The logs also show that YOU have been involved in every trackable listed in Electrovorhe's posts.

That's beyond 'coincidence'. Do the math. You have some really classy friends !!

Edited by nevadanick

The logs also show that you yourself have been involved in bogus logging unless someone else is using your account. I highly doubt you were caching in Japan, DC, Pennsylvania and Florida ... all on the same day. That's from YOUR OWN logs.

And if you would have read my post you would have known that I already explained that I did find those caches, just not on those days. I had been to those places and found them over a period of 4 years prior to when I started Geocaching but just decided to log them on that particular day!

I got to wonder if the "Coins" the OP got from eBay were well made "Proxies".

I don't think he ever actually got coins from ebay. I checked finished auctions back to December and none of these coins match up. Also the fact that his dispute was settled in favor of the seller and the other things he said about ebay. That is just not the way ebay works. Ebay favors the buyer and any mention of stolen goods and they are on it. What his motivation is I don't know but his story doesn't add up at all.

And if you would have read my post you would have known that I already explained that I did find those caches, just not on those days. I had been to those places and found them over a period of 4 years prior to when I started Geocaching but just decided to log them on that particular day!

Well, please understand, that Cachers are supposed to visit a location and log their visit.

Just because I was on a holiday somewhere and even have pictures of this, I don't go on logging Virtuals or even Earthcaches, if I wasn't there recently or place the date of the log back.

It's considered cheating.

Same as one has to follow the rules of a board game or sports, same applys to our game of geocaching.

Sure, while playing soccer with some children, I can make my own rules, but the moment I play with others in a worldwide game, I follow those rules.

And those say, one doesn't write bogus logs, not on caches, not on coins. Those are at least frowned upon.

But as you can also see in this thread, they can cast a bad light on you, cause noone will take someone seriously, who openly placed bogus logs. I'm sorry to say.

But as you are reading this thread, maybe you can shed some light onto this:

How come, someone (Electrovorhe, the threadopener) claims to have bought one of your coins off ebay?

Is this coin still in your possesion and collection, as the coin page suggests?

Or could he really have bought your coin and is not getting an adoption, even though the ebay seller promised him this?

I'd be curious as to hear your side of the coin story.

Well, please understand, that Cachers are supposed to visit a location and log their visit.

Just because I was on a holiday somewhere and even have pictures of this, I don't go on logging Virtuals or even Earthcaches, if I wasn't there recently or place the date of the log back.

It's considered cheating.

Same as one has to follow the rules of a board game or sports, same applys to our game of geocaching.

Sure, while playing soccer with some children, I can make my own rules, but the moment I play with others in a worldwide game, I follow those rules.

And those say, one doesn't write bogus logs, not on caches, not on coins. Those are at least frowned upon.

But as you can also see in this thread, they can cast a bad light on you, cause noone will take someone seriously, who openly placed bogus logs. I'm sorry to say.

But as you are reading this thread, maybe you can shed some light onto this:

How come, someone (Electrovorhe, the threadopener) claims to have bought one of your coins off ebay?

Is this coin still in your possesion and collection, as the coin page suggests?

Or could he really have bought your coin and is not getting an adoption, even though the ebay seller promised him this?

I'd be curious as to hear your side of the coin story.

Well I've never heard anyone express a problem with doing that before. Hell, I've never met a cacher who hasn't done that before! So I don't see what the issue is when I've been there and was able to complete the cache as the CO stated.

As for the part about the OP, idk why he claims to have possession of it. I have it in my possession and would be willing to prove that in any way people want. I doubt he ever got any of the TBs that he claimed to have gotten. Idk who he is or why he is doing what he is, but quite honestly idc either. I have my coin in my possession and it is still mine, and there is nothing that he can do to change that.

Also, I find it interesting enough that ever since things started to stop going in his favor on this thread here he hasn't seemed to have shown himself at all. And with exactly ZERO cache finds I highly doubt it is because he is out Geocaching! haha :P

Please keep in mind, that there are non native English speakers out there, like me for example...

I had to read twice all your abbreviations, but I guess, I got them translated now.

Well I've never heard anyone express a problem with doing that before. Hell, I've never met a cacher who hasn't done that before! So I don't see what the issue is when I've been there and was able to complete the cache as the CO stated.

As for the part about the OP, idk why he claims to have possession of it. I have it in my possession and would be willing to prove that in any way people want. I doubt he ever got any of the TBs that he claimed to have gotten. Idk who he is or why he is doing what he is, but quite honestly idc either. I have my coin in my possession and it is still mine, and there is nothing that he can do to change that.

Also, I find it interesting enough that ever since things started to stop going in his favor on this thread here he hasn't seemed to have shown himself at all. And with exactly ZERO cache finds I highly doubt it is because he is out Geocaching! haha :P

Well, I won't be the only one, who consider bogus logs as cheating. Coins should be logged discovered, when you actually have seen (or held in your hand) the coin in question. Those tracking numbers are the proof, that your log is legit, that's why no tracking numbers should be on photos or in postings.

Same goes for caches, one should log a find, when one actually did find the cache. In case of Virtuals, Waymarks and Earthcaches, those should be logged on the date one vistited the location.

Funny, noone would log a find on a Traditional, when one comes home after a holiday and discovers there is a new cache placed just right there where one spent the holiday. Why do this with an Earthcache or Virtual?

On the matter of those ebay sales, it's indeed strange, that the threadopener is a sockpuppet, who doesn't reply. It might be, that he just spun us a tale of nonsense...

Something funny there.

It appears the discovery,s "www" are all virtual! I found an image, after "googling" it, of the first coin "Garmin Colorado" just by doing that! So the coins image is in the virtual world for anyone to "discover".

Yep they were. It was either listed as instergram or google or just www (world wide web) :)

I got to wonder if the "Coins" the OP got from eBay were well made "Proxies".

That is what I thought. Someone made proxies to sell

Then there's this other issue pointed out but others about them. Most of them logged by the same people, and OP lack of finds... Though like stated the same people are going to find virtual bugs though. If a tb tracking number is posted on www then they're only going to be found by the google searchers right?

I dunno though I'm beginning to think we were trolled too.

Please keep in mind, that there are non native English speakers out there, like me for example...

I had to read twice all your abbreviations, but I guess, I got them translated now.

Well, I won't be the only one, who consider bogus logs as cheating. Coins should be logged discovered, when you actually have seen (or held in your hand) the coin in question. Those tracking numbers are the proof, that your log is legit, that's why no tracking numbers should be on photos or in postings.

Same goes for caches, one should log a find, when one actually did find the cache. In case of Virtuals, Waymarks and Earthcaches, those should be logged on the date one vistited the location.

Funny, noone would log a find on a Traditional, when one comes home after a holiday and discovers there is a new cache placed just right there where one spent the holiday. Why do this with an Earthcache or Virtual?

On the matter of those ebay sales, it's indeed strange, that the threadopener is a sockpuppet, who doesn't reply. It might be, that he just spun us a tale of nonsense...

Well I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to tell you that there are just as many Geocachers out there who dont see that as writing "bogus logs" or as cheating. But I'm not exactly here to debate the philosophy of Geocaching with anyone either.

But on the topic at hand, yes, I believe that he is just a troll. And if he saw these coins online and then saw my name on them to follow the link to grab his last coin to make it different from the others in that it would be the only one without a bunch of online logs to make his troll post seem more realistic. Or atleast that is my theory of what he did.

But on the topic at hand, yes, I believe that he is just a troll. And if he saw these coins online and then saw my name on them to follow the link to grab his last coin to make it different from the others in that it would be the only one without a bunch of online logs to make his troll post seem more realistic. Or atleast that is my theory of what he did.

But he must be someone out of your circle of aquaintances. Somehow he selected all those trackables he claims to have bought on ebay out of your and Logan's Fury discovery list.

Also it's interesting, that he would see the need to grab his own coin into his inventory. Why do this, when the coin is there the moment you activate it? Possibly there are deleted logs, which would be quite interesting to see...

Somethings really fishy going on, but it seems to me, this is not a case of trolling, but a case of causing trouble within a group of former friends.

So nothing further to interest the rest of us, just sort out your quarrels without involving the rest of the community.

But he must be someone out of your circle of aquaintances. Somehow he selected all those trackables he claims to have bought on ebay out of your and Logan's Fury discovery list.

Also it's interesting, that he would see the need to grab his own coin into his inventory. Why do this, when the coin is there the moment you activate it? Possibly there are deleted logs, which would be quite interesting to see...

Somethings really fishy going on, but it seems to me, this is not a case of trolling, but a case of causing trouble within a group of former friends.

So nothing further to interest the rest of us, just sort out your quarrels without involving the rest of the community.

Eh, personally I doubt that. I cant think of anyone who would do that anymore. Logan had his fun and now he has moved on to other things. And I know of no one else who would do that. So my guess is that it is some troll, but that's just me.

Now I realize this thread is probably all bogus, but I'll post an answer anyway. I read through most of this and I can say that PayPal would have asked that the coins be returned to the seller and a refund issued. And if the seller did not issue a refund once the coins were received, a tracking number indicating that they were received would be all PayPal would need to automatically issue a refund to the buyer.

A negative feedback would not be removed by eBay unless both the buyer and seller agreed to have it removed. So that most likely never took place.

Now I realize this thread is probably all bogus, but I'll post an answer anyway. I read through most of this and I can say that PayPal would have asked that the coins be returned to the seller and a refund issued. And if the seller did not issue a refund once the coins were received, a tracking number indicating that they were received would be all PayPal would need to automatically issue a refund to the buyer.

A negative feedback would not be removed by eBay unless both the buyer and seller agreed to have it removed. So that most likely never took place.

There was recently a cache Find in the OP's profile, and now it's gone (remnants can still be found). I'm guessing the OP wasn't asking about himself, that it's more like a story about someone else. Mostly hypothetical... maybe.

At first I assumed the OP was only about getting ideas for how to sell stolen coins. But starting at post #25, the topic went way off the rails.

Edited by kunarion

At first I assumed the OP was only about getting ideas for how to sell stolen coins. But starting at post #25, the topic went way off the rails.

Yes I definitely agree with you there. I don't see why I got dragged into this and none of the other 10 coin owners did, but I'm tired of it. He is either just a troll or some loser trying to get info on how to sell his stolen coins online. And Quite frankly I am tired of this thread so my vote is that we all just kill it and not give the OP anything else!