Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FunYet

Yeeha! Passed 1 and 2

After asking around here on the forum I decided to study for the tech test. I worked at it for about 1 month, using "Now You're Talking", the "Code Quick" CW instructional CDs and software, and the online practice tests. I hadn't planned to take the CW test this time around but decided to try it once I'd registered. I was amazed to find that I passed. I passed Element 2 with 32 out of 35. The VE suggested I try Element 3 (nothing to loose) and I failed miserably. Something like 18 out of 35. I hadn't studied for E3 yet, but it was good practice. I plan to study and try again before June.

Icing on the cake, my call number popped up on the FCC database in less than 1 week (KC8VZL).

Thanks to all who provided info here on this forum!

And I ain't talking about your steak here! icon_wink.gif

18 isn't that far off from 26, so review the General questions, maybe at QRZ.com or wherever, and take element 3 as soon as possible. There's not really that much difference between 2 and 3 (other than those pesky frequency-specific questions...grrr!), so you're not that far off from getting your General. Might as well knock that out ASAP while you're still primed.

Welcome to the club!

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Don't it feel good when you do something like this???

Wish you had your location in your profile so some of us could see if you are in our area. Don't believe area numbers anymore. I am a 9 in Texas.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Wish you had your location in your profile so some of us could see if you are in our area. Don't believe area numbers anymore. I am a 9 in Texas.

El Paso, Texas.

I'm surprised at you, Mike. I found out about Marc in Worthington, Oh. at the QRZ.com site. I was wondering about what you said concerning the area numbers. I've noticed this discrepancy in some of my SW listening. I figured it was due to a change of address since the ham obtained his license. Has the FCC changed anything concerning these area numbers?

The way I understand it, the area numbers only have meaning for the automatic, sequential calls generated by the FCC. If you move to a different area, your call stays the same (as you said), but vanity calls can use any area number, too. Of course, many if not most Hams applying for vanity calls stick with the appropriate area number.

I didn't, and for a variety of reasons. The one that gets me off the hook is that the same call with the appropriate area number (4) wasn't available. icon_smile.gif

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

His callsign was right there, I could have looked it up.

Well, I have not been feeling well for a week now. Not sick really, just not well. On top of it, I have many friends - and my son - in harms way now. And part of me wishes I was with them. My wife calls it the fire horse syndrom. The fire horse hears the bell and wants to respond to the fire.

Sorry if I stirred up the pot, I really should have looked it up myself.

I will get back under my rock now, and come out when I feel better.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Glad to see another new ham; you will certainly enjoy the hobby and all it has to offer.

Jerry (W2TXB)

Congrats! welcome about from KC7NYS.....I wish I had the patience for cw..I have tried several times and gave up...instead of dit-dah..it was more like doo-dah..73

C-A-II

For those who dread learning Morse Code, there was a program called SuperMorse that is really pretty good.

Back when I was preparing for a 20 WPM code test (it used to be a requirement for the Extra Class license), I used it and it worked well for me. The best way is to set the character speed to about 8-10 WPM and the word speed to a slower speed; this makes it easier to recognize the characters and write them down. After a short time, you can increase the word speed and you will master the Morse Code.

One other technique that I used was to just have the program running in the background from an old laptop (NEC 4.77 mHz..... shows how long ago that was) while driving home from Massachusetts the night before my test. Doing this will condition you to comprehend the code without even having to work very hard.

I Roger your vector, Victor...... Over.

FunYet ,congrats on passing the test !! boy that was quick, I just posted something on the topic of radio's... Well looks like you foud the right stuff to do it. Congrats again and hope to hear you on the air real soon.

very --... ...-- -.. . .-- ...- ..... ...-

73's de wv5v

Continuouswave

Mississippi

quote:
Originally posted by Overland1:

For those who dread learning Morse Code, there was a program called http://www.murrah.com/sm that is really pretty good.

Looks like after July it might be a moot point. Morse is on the way out.

http://www.radio.gov.uk/topics/amateur/consult/condocmorse-75ghz-final.doc

I might even renew my old UK licence if that happens.

Alex.

---------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

congratulations, maybe ill catch on the air around here somtime!

kc8uzk

-----

If it ain't broke, I can *fix* that...

quote:
Originally posted by MrFixit198:

Hello every one I am new to the forums. Greatings from N6uyb in Lafayette, LA Jack

Welcome to Geocaching, and the ham radio forum. Join in any time.

El Paso, Texas.

Congrats and 73's

Leemann

AC7KT

Captain gps needs batteries got any?. Hows the Enterprise

sposed to navigate way out here with out em?

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I'll be taking Element 2 tonight at McChord.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Good luck buddy. But like I said before... for people like us it isn't luck, it is preparation. I am sure you will do well, and I will be looking for you to let us know ASAP.

I will be thinking telepathic electronic thoughts for you.

El Paso, Texas.

Good luck, Criminal. I am sure we'll be hearing good news soon...

"Nature uses as little as possible of anything." -- Johannes Kepler

Passed Element 2 w/flying colors. They asked if I wanted to take the general, so I did. Missed it but not by much. They figure it should be posted by Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Then I just have to go buy a bunch of radios. Thanks for the support!

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Corngratchulaishuns, Criminal! Welcome to the party!

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Passed Element 2 w/flying colors.

Was there ever any question? Good job ... and RGR on the lots of radios.

But think it over carefully, and feel free to ask lots of ????? before you toss down the cash. Lots of experience to draw on here.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

Looks like after July it might be a moot point. Morse is on the way out.

http://www.radio.gov.uk/topics/amateur/consult/condocmorse-75ghz-final.doc

I might even renew my old UK licence if that happens.

Looks liek the link changed. Should be this:

http://www.radio.gov.uk/topics/amateur/consult/condoc-morse-75ghz-sats-rev120603.doc

---------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

Always try to take the next test up - you might surprise yourself. That is what happened to me. I went in to take my General and walked out with my Advanced.....

KM6FZ

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.