cache etiquette

Off Grid

just wondering what all you other geocachers do ?

after making the find of a rather hard cache or easy what do you do whats the first thing you do?

do you sign the log book? raid the swag and trade:P

do you clean up the cache?

maybe if its wet dry it maybe put the log boook in a bag if needed?

( i have had people say to me that thats not my job and thats the owners job and i should just be geocaching and show the owner that it was wet.. but in some cases what if the owner lives to far away i think its just a thank ya for the cache and i dryed it so you dont have to worry maybe added a piece of paper or two to make others enjoy:D)

do you brag to your friends that you found it and they didnt?

We sign and date the log.

Then, if it's a proper box, we look at the rest of the stuff. We'll throw out rubbish like sweet wrappers and dead leaves and anything soggy. If it's rather damp inside we'll wipe it out to dry it as best we can. If the log book is absolutely, totally, full then we'll add one of our own "temporary logging strips" - just a strip of paper with room for another 10 - 15 signatures in a small ziplock bag. We rarely hunt nanos so we don't carry replacement nano rolls.

We always try to leave an extra swap item in a cache even when we don't take anything.

When we log the find on line we'll add a 'Needs maintenance' to let the CO know that they need to visit and put in a proper new logbook/logging roll.

MrsB

Often, the first thing I do is ask myself why didn't I look there 20 minutes ago when I first got to GZ.

As far as 'cleaning' up the cache I will take each situation on its merits and assist the CO where I am able. I find this hard to justify where in my opinion the cache is an unsuitable container, poorly placed, unmaintained by an inactive owner with no other redeeming features. I will record my experiences under the appropriate log and move on.

after making the find of a rather hard cache or easy what do you do whats the first thing you do?

I try to sign the log first thing, 'cuz otherwise I'm afraid I'd forget. Then I normally check the contents, mainly for trackables.

I don't do maintenance, but if there's something obvious like water or trash in the cache, I'll deal with it. A few times I've run into a container that seemed fine but had leaked, so I'll do what I can to improve the seal by cleaning off the gasket or whatever.

I used to do things like this, but after a while I discovered that a wet logbook is typically only a symptom of a bigger problem, so I don't normally carry bags anymore.

( i have had people say to me that thats not my job and thats the owners job and i should just be geocaching and show the owner that it was wet.. but in some cases what if the owner lives to far away i think its just a thank ya for the cache and i dryed it so you dont have to worry maybe added a piece of paper or two to make others enjoy:D)

I have no problem doing what I can, and I know others do more, and I think that's great and I thank them for it. But the "far away" owner is still responsible, and if he cannot visit the cache to deal with maintenance issues, he needs to have a backup maintenance plan.

No, I've never done that. It never even occured to me.

do you sign the log book?

Yes.

raid the swag and trade:P

Raid? No. Trade? Not likely, as there usually aren't many caches with tradable swag.

Yes.

Book, yes. Boook, no.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. If you do some minor maintenance on a cache (dry it out, add a dry log, etc), it is nice to hear details of what the cause of the issue might be. Broken seal on an ammo can? New stream pouring down the hillside that wasn't there in the summer when it was placed? Context is nice so that I can be a responsible cache owner and take the criticism about my cache and do something positive about it without getting angry...<ahem>

No. Generally, being a braggart or boorish is frowned upon in this game, even if they are your friend. Especially in your online log or logbook entry

Happy Dance and yelling usually comes first

Take a picture that won't give anything away, for me to show my wife, friends, maybe share on here..

open, sign log, do some trading

If it's wet or nasty I'll do what I can to fix it, like wipe it out or replace a bag but I haven't found enough to have horror story caches yet

Then I always put it back just the way I found it, hopeing that's how it was originally

Yep

Yep ... except for the bragging part

Dance upon the bodies of the other geocachers who tried to beat me to the First to Find.

Wait, what? Oh, yeah seach for trackables if it's big enough, most caches aren't anymore. If I feel the urge to trade I usually have a pocketful of carabiners, GoGos Crazy Bones or something else I found on my desk which no longer amuses me.

If the log is in poor shape and I have some Write In Rain strips, which I almost always do, I'll drop one in the cache the help it keep wheezing along. Occasionally I have glued or taped caches back together or replaced a container on a venerable old thing, which nobody in their right mind wants to see archived, just because the CO has abandoned it for silly and insignificant reasons (e.g.: anything non-geocaching)

I can't, I've just finished dancing upon their dead bodies. Got a shovel handy?

Dance upon the bodies of the other geocachers who tried to beat me to the First to Find.

Wait, what? Oh, yeah seach for trackables if it's big enough, most caches aren't anymore. If I feel the urge to trade I usually have a pocketful of carabiners, GoGos Crazy Bones or something else I found on my desk which no longer amuses me.

If the log is in poor shape and I have some Write In Rain strips, which I almost always do, I'll drop one in the cache the help it keep wheezing along. Occasionally I have glued or taped caches back together or replaced a container on a venerable old thing, which nobody in their right mind wants to see archived, just because the CO has abandoned it for silly and insignificant reasons (e.g.: anything non-geocaching)

I can't, I've just finished dancing upon their dead bodies. Got a shovel handy?

yes yes i quite possibly have a shovel ready:P

The first thing I do?

If I'm by myself, then I make a note of where it was hidden (so I can replace it properly) and take it somewhere nearby where I can sign the log and all that other stuff.

If I'm with others, then I keep "searching" for a bit longer, then step back and say "huckle buckle beanstalk". Unless I'm the last person to spot it, in which case, see the previous paragraph.

The first thing I do is sign the log.

If the onwer can't maintain it, they shouldn't own it.

The last thing I do is look around to see what I can say about the find in the online log that is unique to the particular find. I then make a note in the comments field in my GPS. It is often difficult to find something different about an LPC or a bison in a bush on a power trail, but I try. Sometimes I'm not very successful but I NEVER log with only a TFTC entry.

Drying a log is not maintenance, it's courtesy. If you can't dry a log you shouldn't cache.

Drying a log is not maintenance, it's courtesy. If you can't dry a log you shouldn't cache.

I was referring to the "what if the owner lives to far away" part. Not so much the drying out the log part. However, if the log is wet, its a pretty clear indication that the cache needs some maintainence. You can dry it out, but until the owner maintains it, it will just get wet again.

I was referring to the "what if the owner lives to far away" part. Not so much the drying out the log part. However, if the log is wet, its a pretty clear indication that the cache needs some maintainence. You can dry it out, but until the owner maintains it, it will just get wet again.

In many (probably most)instances, you are right. We can usually tell if the container is compromised. Some just need some air once in awhile (condensation) or were found and signed during a downpour.

maybe if its wet dry it maybe put the log book in a bag if needed?

I usually go straight for the logsheet and get my name on it.

I sometimes look for TBs, especially if the cache doesn't get many visitors. At this point I usually ignore the swag.

If the cache has water in it, I will pour it out. I will usually remove ruined/inappropriate swag if I have a trash bag to put it in. If the cache needs a new log and/or baggie I will replace them if I have them. However, I often do not carry spare logs/baggies nor trash bags.

I try to mention the cache's condition in my logs so the CO knows, and specifically what the issues are if something is wrong. I always leave more (often much more) than "TFTC".

First, I look around to be sure that no muggle is in plain sight and I can safely do my business. Then I go a dozen of meters from the hiding place with the container, open it and inspect its contents. I remove garbage and do small maintenance if needed (I always have a kind of a repairing kit with me). If there's nothing really interesting in the container and it looks empty I add some souvenirs. I don't take anything from geocaches. After all is done I log my name in the logbook and put the container in its original place. If there's anything special about this cache (like unusual camouflage) I take a photo of it.

In my area, many countryside caches are far far away from anything. Then you're talking about a 2-3 hour hike in the mountains just to get to the cache, making maintaining a cache a full day trip. A few weeks ago I went for a cache that was over three hours hike from the nearest transport (a ferry that sails twice daily), and four hours hike from the nearest road.

It's normal for me to have a basic cache repair kit with me. Usually not empty boxes, but at least a spare log book, some plastic bags, and I have a few self made log rolls for nanos and picos (replaced several full or near-full logs over time). I think it's very reasonable to spend three minutes cleaning up a container, instead of asking CO to spend a whole day to do just that, which is going to take a long time usually before they can schedule the trip, and in the meantime other cachers come to a cache that could have been in much better shape.

Myself I own over 70 listings. Many are really remote or on high mountain peaks, and get a few visits a year (or less). I'm very happy to know that most cachers here will do some maintenance if they find something wrong with the cache that can be fixed easily. And otherwise I'll just put a maintenance visit on my to-do list, and usually get to it within a few months. A bit longer if waiting for autumn/winter to arrive.

Happy Dance and yelling usually comes first

Take a picture that won't give anything away, for me to show my wife, friends, maybe share on here..

open, sign log, do some trading

If it's wet or nasty I'll do what I can to fix it, like wipe it out or replace a bag but I haven't found enough to have horror story caches yet

Then I always put it back just the way I found it, hopeing that's how it was originally

love the happy dance specially when i find it before my dad:P

In my area, many countryside caches are far far away from anything. Then you're talking about a 2-3 hour hike in the mountains just to get to the cache, making maintaining a cache a full day trip. A few weeks ago I went for a cache that was over three hours hike from the nearest transport (a ferry that sails twice daily), and four hours hike from the nearest road.

It's normal for me to have a basic cache repair kit with me. Usually not empty boxes, but at least a spare log book, some plastic bags, and I have a few self made log rolls for nanos and picos (replaced several full or near-full logs over time). I think it's very reasonable to spend three minutes cleaning up a container, instead of asking CO to spend a whole day to do just that, which is going to take a long time usually before they can schedule the trip, and in the meantime other cachers come to a cache that could have been in much better shape.

Myself I own over 70 listings. Many are really remote or on high mountain peaks, and get a few visits a year (or less). I'm very happy to know that most cachers here will do some maintenance if they find something wrong with the cache that can be fixed easily. And otherwise I'll just put a maintenance visit on my to-do list, and usually get to it within a few months. A bit longer if waiting for autumn/winter to arrive.

wow i wished i lived near you lived hiking to get to the cache that would be amazing!!!!!!

First I admire the cache and contents, if applicable. I like to trade for pins. Other than that, I don't trade, but enjoying looking through the contents and perhaps the logbook.

Then I look to see if I can do any maintenance.

If the cache is damp, I will get out my towel/toilet paper and dry it up and remove any crap. Sometimes I will thrown in extra swag, logbook, extra baggies if needed. If the container's no good, there's really no point in doing this. For micros, I will replace the log if needed.

Then I will sign the logbook and replace. If it looks like more material is needed to hide the cache, I will gather from the environment. Occasionally, if appropriate, I will put up some flagging tape.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I have 5 caches that are 'out in the countryside' by your description. I am more than happy to maintain them if needed. I could have many more, but I don't know I can commit to maintaining more than that right now. I would expect someone who places a cache (in the countryside or not) to be willing to maintain their caches. It sounds like you are. Thanks for that.

sign the log and put it back. make a note of anything interesting so I can put it in my log. I'm reluctant to drop logsheets or remove trash because of past experience. I've removed "trash" that turned out to be something important, like further instructions or a well-worn tb. I've dropped logsheets where they weren't wanted because finding a cleverly hidden logsheet was supposed to be part of the hide. so now I'm reluctant to mess with anything, and agree with the person who said if the CO can't maintain it then maybe they shouldn't own it.

wow i wished i lived near you lived hiking to get to the cache that would be amazing!!!!!!

I live in Hong Kong. May surprise you, it's know for it's urban areas, but also has many really remote areas in the countryside.

sign the log and put it back. make a note of anything interesting so I can put it in my log. I'm reluctant to drop logsheets or remove trash because of past experience. I've removed "trash" that turned out to be something important, like further instructions or a well-worn tb. I've dropped logsheets where they weren't wanted because finding a cleverly hidden logsheet was supposed to be part of the hide. so now I'm reluctant to mess with anything, and agree with the person who said if the CO can't maintain it then maybe they shouldn't own it.

Extra instructions when present should be mentioned in the cache description so at least you know to look out for it; and if so worn out that it looks like trash it should have been replaced long time ago.

I wouldn't normally add a log if there isn't one, unless on request. Only replacing a full or damaged one. But then I've never found a cache where the log was not in the container but hidden somewhere else; only the other way around: a micro/nano with the coordinates of a nearby trade box written on the back of the log roll.