etra gps for daughter

3isamagic#

My daughter has saved her babysitting money and wants to spend about 50-60 dollars on a gps unit for when she geocaches with me. I have a Garmin Colorado (love it!). I found a Magellan Triton 500 for $60 on Craig'slist. All she wants to be able to do is read the description, the hint and find her way to the cache. My unit would be our main gps, but she is tired of looking over my shoulder for the info. Any thoughts?

Better check the specs on that Magellan....I just looked at them and I don't see anything about paperless Geocaching. Which would mean no hints and descriptions, just the cache name and coordinates. Probably a decent unit but not sure if it meets your wants.

How do I "check the specs"

I called Magellan and you were right. Thanks!

My daughter has saved her babysitting money and wants to spend about 50-60 dollars on a gps unit for when she geocaches with me. I have a Garmin Colorado (love it!). I found a Magellan Triton 500 for $60 on Craig'slist. All she wants to be able to do is read the description, the hint and find her way to the cache. My unit would be our main gps, but she is tired of looking over my shoulder for the info. Any thoughts?

I own a Megallan Triton 500, they are paperless and have some good features. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, and the local Wally World had a clearance sale on the units and bundle packs for $69. I only use mine for the reasons that you state, and it works for me. Also with Magellans Vantage Point map you can download you PQ's from here to the unit. Magellan and Groundspeak have a partnership. Check eBay first, you may save a few $'s.

The Triton's are an accurate unit, a very accurate unit. However, a major problem is that the Triton will brick up on geocaches that contain html code it doesn't like. I have to use 3rd party software to strip the html code out of geocaches before uploading to the Triton using a GSAK macro. There's also no way to mark a cache found on the Triton without manually changing the icon yourself.

For $50, yea, it's worth $50.