caches

Off Grid

Is a micro to small for a cache should it even be defined as a cache its just a log and headache most times you need tweezers to get it out and the logs allll gross and wet there are micros that are not wet and were much appreciated. should a micro be put near a monument or somewhere of value like a amazing view should a micro be significant why does anyone put out a micro? just asking.

its almost impossible to write on some of these ones most people dont seem to know how to roll them back up with out killing them either

should we even have micros?

post pics of smallest caches you have found:P

Is a micro to small for a cache should it even be defined as a cache its just a log and headache most times you need tweezers to get it out and the logs allll gross and wet there are micros that are not wet and were much appreciated. should a micro be put near a monument or somewhere of value like a amazing view should a micro be significant why does anyone put out a micro? just asking.

its almost impossible to write on some of these ones most people dont seem to know how to roll them back up with out killing them either

Definition of a Geocache:

A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook where the geocacher enters the date they found it and signs it with their established code name.

they're cheap, easy to hide, and easy to maintain because you don't have to worry about swag.

I don't own many, because i hate them!

easy to maintain... Until the log gets full, which happens very quickly!

Thanks for such a brilliant cache, Bear and Ragged. Found on the twenty second day of February two thousand and thirteen, at twelve thirty two in the afternoon. :D

You could avoid punctuation when signing the log, that would save space....

rimshot.gif

rimshot.gif

Punctuation? What's that? :laughing: :laughing:

Is a micro to small for a cache should it even be defined as a cache its just a log and headache most times you need tweezers to get it out and the logs allll gross and wet there are micros that are not wet and were much appreciated. should a micro be put near a monument or somewhere of value like a amazing view should a micro be significant why does anyone put out a micro?

How did that period get into the middle of the sentence?

Technically, they are geocaches. However, I do share your frustration. I REALLY hate rolling up logs for bison tubes. I simply haven't got the patience. It seems to me once the o-ring is cracked, the log is destined to be wet. Nanos are worse. I do carry tweezers, but if I had to use tweezers for every cache, I think I'd give up caching.

I do have a limited number of micros out myself, most are in matchstick containers so the log is easy to remove. I attach cu-tip or tookpick to the log via packing tape so it's easier for people to remove. I think this saves your log as well, from people jamming it in.

At times I simply loathe nanos and bison tubes, but at some locations they are the only cache sizes that fit. When visiting new cities and towns, micros in key locations have introduced us to colorful local history, which is one of the reasons we adore caching. For example, in the Hagerstown, MD area there magnetic keyholders on a lot of the Civil War interpretive signs, I think this is great given that I'm not from Hagerstown and wouldn't know where to find some of this unique history without the micros.

On the other hand, curses to anyone who hides a micro at the end of a long hike in the woods.

Definition of a Geocache:

A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook where the geocacher enters the date they found it and signs it with their established code name.

yeah but when you look at cache this is what it says to me that would mean a tupperware container ? what about you?

cache [kash] Show IPA noun, verb, cached, cach·ing.

noun

a hiding place, especially one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.: She hid her jewelry in a little cache in the cellar.

anything so hidden: The enemy never found our cache of food.

Alaska and Northern Canada. a small shed elevated on poles above the reach of animals and used for storing food, equipment, etc.

verb (used with object)

to put in a cache; conceal; hide.

Technically, they are geocaches. However, I do share your frustration. I REALLY hate rolling up logs for bison tubes. I simply haven't got the patience. It seems to me once the o-ring is cracked, the log is destined to be wet. Nanos are worse. I do carry tweezers, but if I had to use tweezers for every cache, I think I'd give up caching.

I do have a limited number of micros out myself, most are in matchstick containers so the log is easy to remove. I attach cu-tip or tookpick to the log via packing tape so it's easier for people to remove. I think this saves your log as well, from people jamming it in.

ya i know what you mean there was one over by swan lake thought id jog to it and get it thought maybe it would be a bison or something had a pen and nope there was no getting it out :( it was one of those small medical tubes

actual yeah we were doing one of your micros the other day because we thought maybe it would be a bit bigger haha:P

At times I simply loathe nanos and bison tubes, but at some locations they are the only cache sizes that fit. When visiting new cities and towns, micros in key locations have introduced us to colorful local history, which is one of the reasons we adore caching. For example, in the Hagerstown, MD area there magnetic keyholders on a lot of the Civil War interpretive signs, I think this is great given that I'm not from Hagerstown and wouldn't know where to find some of this unique history without the micros.

On the other hand, curses to anyone who hides a micro at the end of a long hike in the woods.

a micro at the end of a multi cache or puzzle cache thats extremely hard you get there and its a micro :( that almost made me want to cry haha after figuring out the puzzle etc

yeah i agree though on a cool site or view or historical value specially for tourist:D

yeah but when you look at cache this is what it says to me that would mean a tupperware container ? what about you?

noun

a hiding place, especially one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.: She hid her jewelry in a little cache in the cellar.

Alaska and Northern Canada. a small shed elevated on poles above the reach of animals and used for storing food, equipment, etc.

verb (used with object)

Definitions 1,2 and 3 make all caches void. We are not allowed to put food or ammunition in a cache.

By definition 4, micros are indeed caches.

a micro at the end of a multi cache or puzzle cache that's extremely hard you get there and its a micro :( that almost made me want to cry haha after figuring out the puzzle etc

Did the container size somehow change how much you enjoyed the puzzle? Isn't it more of a challenge to find the micro than an ammo box under a pile of sticks or in a hollow log you can spot 75 yards out? Would a small cache diminish the experience somehow or possibly a regular cache 25 feet up in a tree?

noun

verb (used with object)

Definitions 1,2 and 3 make all caches void. We are not allowed to put food or ammunition in a cache.

a micro at the end of a multi cache or puzzle cache that's extremely hard you get there and its a micro :( that almost made me want to cry haha after figuring out the puzzle etc

Did the container size somehow change how much you enjoyed the puzzle? Isn't it more of a challenge to find the micro than an ammo box under a pile of sticks or in a hollow log you can spot 75 yards out? Would a small cache diminish the experience somehow or possibly a regular cache 25 feet up in a tree?

well to me i did all that work of figuring out a puzzle or all that time to do a multi and when i get there its just a tube with a log book it makes me sad its still a geocache none the less and ill take the smiley but it does suck for me:( id rather see at the end of a puzzle a cache i can sit enjoy look at swag after all that hard work:)

Some people like the swag. For me, it's the find. I've seldom found anything in a cache that I really wanted. Maybe other areas have higher quality swag, i dont know 😏 Most of the time I give the swag a passing glance at most and go straight for the logbook. A cleverly hidden micro is often more satisfying than an obvious ammo can.

Having said that, I do think that, in general, hide the largest container the site will support. Micros in the middle of the woods make no sense. Conversely, in some urban settings a micro is the only thing that will work. And I really enjoy when someone finds a way to hide an ammo can in an urban environment.

Edited by Chief301

a micro at the end of a multi cache or puzzle cache thats extremely hard you get there and its a micro :( that almost made me want to cry haha after figuring out the puzzle etc

In the San Francisco Bay area where I cache, the puzzle is normally the point of the cache, so trivial uninteresting hides on puzzle caches are very common. I'm not sure if I just inherently agree, or I agree because I'm conforming to the local culture, but I'm fine with having a simple log-only final, and that's what I put out myself. Sure, bigger caches in better locations are more fun, but I'd rather have a puzzle with a simple final than no puzzle at all.

noun

verb (used with object)

well to me i did all that work of figuring out a puzzle or all that time to do a multi and when i get there its just a tube with a log book it makes me sad its still a geocache none the less and ill take the smiley but it does suck for me:( id rather see at the end of a puzzle a cache i can sit enjoy look at swag after all that hard work:)

+1

noun

verb (used with object)

+1

I don't need a bunch of cheap toys at the end of a good puzzle, but a pill bottle or bison tube after wracking my brain or toturing my body is a bit disappointing. Even if it has very little swag, a well crafted and MAINTAINED container will keep the smile on my face.

ya i know what you mean there was one over by swan lake thought id jog to it and get it thought maybe it would be a bison or something had a pen and nope there was no getting it out :( it was one of those small medical tubes

actual yeah we were doing one of your micros the other day because we thought maybe it would be a bit bigger haha:P

Sometimes a micro is the only thing that will work for an area. The situation at Swan Lake is special, as they are very strict about geocache placement. You must get it approved by them and they will only allow caches on man-made objects. I have thought about asking them if I could hide a larger cache IN the nature house (like a treasure chest), but the micro cache would probably have to archived re proximity.

In the San Francisco Bay area where I cache, the puzzle is normally the point of the cache, so trivial uninteresting hides on puzzle caches are very common. I'm not sure if I just inherently agree, or I agree because I'm conforming to the local culture, but I'm fine with having a simple log-only final, and that's what I put out myself. Sure, bigger caches in better locations are more fun, but I'd rather have a puzzle with a simple final than no puzzle at all.

There have been specific threads on micros at the ends of puzzles, and one within the last month or two, although I don't feel like looking it up. I'm a location guy. If it's in the Wal-Mart parking lot, it's a turd. If it's hanging in a pine tree along a bike trail along a river, it's A-OK by me. So the correct answer is, it depends. In my opinion, of course. :P

Somehow, I think puzzle and cache are two different things. If the whole point is the puzzle and the "cache" is only placed because it's required, they are doing it wrong.

What I hate is being taken by the size. To some cachers a 35mm is a small or a peanut butter jar as regular. Ot they forget when they replace the cache with a different size to change it on the cache page.

i know what you mean we went to one and it was supposed to be a huge tub with bugz sweet swag pictures were awesome of it and than got there and it was nothing or an ammo can switched to a smaller than small lock and lock:(

In this land of micros/nanos a pair of tweezers are basic items whenever caching.

I like bison tubes. I'm not a fan of anything smaller than that. The smallest cache I've found is one of those in the pic AZcachemeister posted.

I usually don't like the tiny caches & don't put them on my list. They're fun a few times, & necessary in some areas. The smallest I found was a nano where the 1/4 inch wide strip of paper log, rolled into a 1/4 inch diameter roll, filled the entire container. The cache was a silver magnetic nano on a steel railing that perfectly mimicked the bolts & rivets in the metal.

:lostsignal: