Caches dissapear in Map view depending on zoom

dfergie

I have found since they have switched from Google Maps that depending on the zoom level, caches dissapear. I didn't know this at first. It just affected me reacently, I've missed several caches becacause of this. Anyone else bothered by this? Is there anyway to make this stop (different web browser or settings)?

As you zoom out beyond a certain distance, not every individual cache is represented on the map by a unique icon. This is by design to conserve map server resources, and is not a bug.

I don't think that's what the OP is talking about. I've also seen cases where single cache icons do not display on one zoom level, but appear on the zoom levels above and below. I've always just chalked it up as another bug within the very-buggy map, along with the intermittent all-icons-disappear and icons-not-clickable bugs.

There IS a bug here, I've seen caches only disappear at certain zoom levels, as you zoom OUT (or in) they re-appear, i.e. they will only be missing from one zoom level. I'm talking about zoom levels 12 and higher, not 11 and lower where this is the intended design.

An interesting side effect that seems to be related to this bug, if I notice for example a traditional cache that disappears, without changing zoom level, if I start playing with the filters, like clearing multi's or mysteries for example, that traditional will re-appear. This isn't a case of overlapping icons as the one that disappears or reappears could be off by itself, no where near the one I'm flipping the filter on.

There IS a bug here, I've seen caches only disappear at certain zoom levels, as you zoom OUT (or in) they re-appear, i.e. they will only be missing from one zoom level. I'm talking about zoom levels 12 and higher, not 11 and lower where this is the intended design.

An interesting side effect that seems to be related to this bug, if I notice for example a traditional cache that disappears, without changing zoom level, if I start playing with the filters, like clearing multi's or mysteries for example, that traditional will re-appear. This isn't a case of overlapping icons as the one that disappears or reappears could be off by itself, no where near the one I'm flipping the filter on.

Yes, this is a real problem!!! I've noticed it for a long time; I've also noticed that when the OpenStreetMaps are selected, some cache icons on the maps will not do anything when you click on them. I have had to switch back to Mapquest or adjust the map zoom to return the functionality to where I can navigate to a cache page using the icons on the map. Today, it's really bad - no icons on the map will respond, at all! I am running Google Chrome on Windows 7 64 bit.

This is an old problem that seems to have never been addressed. Sometimes it is only at a particular zoom level.. sometimes it is only in certain tiles of the map. Usually zooming in or out will eventually show the missing caches but it is annoying and wastes time when searching an area for caches.

PMO caches aren't shown at faraway zoom levels. This happens with the integrated Google map, when zoom is such that the scale shows 20km / 10mi at the bottom, or higher. It's very noticeable with remote PMO caches with nothing else for miles around. For example, http://coord.info/GC1ZAYQ .

I'm using Firefox 16.0.2 on Linux Mint - not that it really matters in this case.

If this is due to some design decision, let me emphasize that remote caches are very important to a small but devoted subset of your user base. A single lonesome cache in an area is VERY important, thank you very much.