Adoption quick link on user profile page

Harwell5

I would like to suggest adding a new sidebar feature on the "Your Profile" page.

It would be nice to have a new boxed section on the sidebar with either a link to the adoption page or better yet, add a text box for GC code or Reference number entry with a button click to the second step of adding the the username in which the adoption is being sent.

This would be tremendously helpful instead of trying to find the initial link some other way. This should be a fairly easy code to insert. Right?

Thoughts on this?

Edited by Harwell5

There's an argument to be made for not making it TOO easy to adopt away your hidden caches. It's better to encourage good maintenance habits rather than making the adoption alternative more visible. I suspect this is why there are no direct links - just the article in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books.

I have a form letter response that I send when someone writes to me, asking how to adopt over a cache. I use it once every few weeks. I don't mind that one bit.

I completely agree with and understand what you are saying about encouraging good maintenance. There is always a need for that, but wouldn't the addition be more of a positive aspect in that the cache owner would see and be more aware of the option to adopt a cache to someone who would take more care and maintain the cache better. I would venture to say that there are a lot of people who don't even know about the possibility of adopting over a cache (or trackable for that matter). Making it difficult to find the adoption process would seem (to me) to make it a quick archive or "just forget about it" mentality to the owner rather than letting the cache stay in play with someone who WOULD maintain it. I would even go so far as to say that adding the feature would possibly save more caches from become "geo-trash" from those that abandon them instead of adopting them over. JMHO.

I completely agree with and understand what you are saying about encouraging good maintenance. There is always a need for that, but wouldn't the addition be more of a positive aspect in that the cache owner would see and be more aware of the option to adopt a cache to someone who would take more care and maintain the cache better. I would venture to say that there are a lot of people who don't even know about the possibility of adopting over a cache (or trackable for that matter). Making it difficult to find the adoption process would seem (to me) to make it a quick archive or "just forget about it" mentality to the owner rather than letting the cache stay in play with someone who WOULD maintain it. I would even go so far as to say that adding the feature would possibly save more caches from become "geo-trash" from those that abandon them instead of adopting them over. JMHO.

This makes a lot of sense - I've seen a few situations where someone has moved away from an area and archived all their local caches because they had no possible way of maintaining them any more.

We don't want people putting badly considered caches out there and then expecting to dump them on someone else in a couple of months when they are bored of the maintenance but at the same time there are all sorts of good reasons why people find they are no longer able to maintain caches. It might be a relocation, it might be a new job with increased workload, it could be all sorts of things. Admittedly things like a family emergency are likely to result in the maintenance of caches being very low on someone's list of priorities but if they can adopt out their caches with a couple of mouse clicks perhaps at least some folks would do so.