Why did the countdown to 2,000,000 decrease?

Andronicus

Winter is a tough time for geocaches in the Northern latitudes. A poor cache container that made it through autumn may fall victim to the insistent invasion of snow, ice and rain during freeze/thaw cycles. Owners of caches that are missing or reported as needing maintenance are more likely to just archive their listing rather than venturing out to repair the cache during a snowstorm.

The pace of new cache hides also slows down. There are days in January and February when I only publish two to five caches. On a sunny weekend in August, I might publish 50 to 100. New cache hides spike in March, when fair weather cachers emerge from their workshops with a full winter's worth of carefully camo'd crafty containers.

With more time on our hands, many reviewers spend winter evenings looking through caches in their territory that require maintenance, and leaving reminder notes for the owners. If there's no response after a reasonable time (I give a month), then the troubled caches may be archived for lack of maintenance. This opens up areas to new springtime cache placements, and increases the odds that a family enjoying a springtime caching trip will find dry cache containers instead of moldy logbooks, and will log smileys on caches that are in place instead of frownies on missing caches.

I just checked, and I'm scheduled to archive forty caches over the next five days. That number will likely exceed the number of new caches I publish in the same period.

I would love to see a graph of all of this. I love pointless statistics.

Same here, it pretty much sums up my life.

The countdown probably decreased so much due to less new caches. People want that 2,000,000th I betcha. There will be tons of new ones in the last 100 caches to reach two million.

Edited by ecumountaineer

The number is going up again.

Bearing in mind that the average reviewer publishes more caches in the late evening or early morning than at other times of the day, you may observe "spikes" throughout the day as caches are published -- first in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Korea, then later on in Europe, and then five or six hours later in the USA and Canada. It will be interesting to see the total when I wake up tomorrow, after my colleagues in timezones east of me have already completed their morning publications.

I have this theory that people are hiding caches but waiting to post them in hopes that they get the coveted 2 millionth cache.

That would not surprise me. Also with the cold in the northern hemisphere, most place caches on the weekend. The surge will take place Sunday/Monday.

This is going to be a long thread...can we limit reports for numbers with more than a 100 cache difference?

I think that's a no.

I think it's a mania. Do you think msnbc or someone will start broadcasting a minute-by-minute chart on tv?!

This is going to be a long thread...can we limit reports for numbers with more than a 100 cache difference?

I think that's a no.

I think it's a mania. Do you think msnbc or someone will start broadcasting a minute-by-minute chart on tv?!