Why do certain cachers collect geocoins?

ecumountaineer

They love the game and they still collect geocoins and trackables and you aren't supposed to do that. On the blog it asked if people collect them and most of the cachers who answered said yes. What's up?

Aren't supposed to do that? With other people's coins, yes I agree. But with coins you've bought and own?

Yup... big difference between collecting the ones you bought, like the ones you got off Ebay, and the ones someone else bought and released to travel in the wooly wilds of cacheland. The first is proper and perfectly acceptable but the latter can get you hung out to dry then placed before a firing squad before being flushed down a porta-pottie. It's a matter of choice. :P

They love the game and they still collect geocoins and trackables and you aren't supposed to do that. On the blog it asked if people collect them and most of the cachers who answered said yes. What's up?

Actually 'Collecting' Geocoins are the ones you have legitimately purchased or they were given to you, or you earned someway in a challenge or whatever. They are YOURS, the ones that people take from a cache and then keep, is not really collecting. It's stealing....

Geocoins originally weren't designed to be collectible, but then I bet the first stamps weren't either!

Geocoins are like any other collectible item - stamps for example. Some people collect stamps, and some people send them on.

The issue with geocoins is that those that have been sent on by their owners - with the intentions that they keep travelling - are frequently stolen by bad geocachers, or they get caught up somehow (muggled cache, new cacher not knowing what to do with a coin, someone who has taken a hiatus from caching or finished with it entirely, etc

So collecting your own owned geocoin is not bad, or against the rules or anything like that.

But collecting others geocoins is.

Edited by keewee

Oh sorry, I understand if it is there own coin that they can keep it, but I meant the cachers who steal from other cachers like what GeoMinions said. Do any "high statistic" or normal cachers actually steal other coins out of caches?

Most geocachers play the game with integrity and pick up and move the trackable items correctly as is intended. But there are a few bad apples who retrieve the geocoins and TB's in the caches and will keep them. It's too bad that this happens, but since Groundspeak does not require people to pay for a membership, anybody can create an account and unfortunately some do just to go after trackable items, if you want to help prevent these items from disappearing, you can try and only place them in Premium Member only caches. But there are no guarantees that they still won't disappear.

Edited by GeoMinions

Oh sorry, I understand if it is there own coin that they can keep it, but I meant the cachers who steal from other cachers like what GeoMinions said. Do any "high statistic" or normal cachers actually steal other coins out of caches?

That might make for an interesting study. It's my opinion that there are very few coin thieves, but lots and lots of cachers who don't really understand what they are supposed to do with coins. Some have good intentions, but lose the coin before they can turn it loose, or just never get around to going caching again.

That might make for an interesting study. It's my opinion that there are very few coin thieves, but lots and lots of cachers who don't really understand what they are supposed to do with coins. Some have good intentions, but lose the coin before they can turn it loose, or just never get around to going caching again.

I agree. Just this past Summer I talked to a person caching far longer than me, who was still making swag trades with coins he collected in other's hides.

Another this Fall traded, but never wrote anything down. Folks would find their TB or coins miles away from where it was last seen, by another who logged correctly.

There's probably quite a few that simply become missing on the way to the car...