...get someone to move along my travel bug?

cyklops99

so my first travel bug was grabbed mere hours after placing it... and has sat in the hands of the person who took it, for nearly two months. Though their cache's found number keeps rising (indicating they're caching). I've sent them a very nice e-mail asking them to move it along... (and got no reply) and have updated the webpage to say "please move along ASAP" and nothing....

any suggestions?

any suggestions?

Now you must wait. Cachers should have a plan, upon taking a TB, of where they will place it right away -- or at least post regular updates so that the TB Owner never worries -- out of respect for the TB Owner. But respect is rare, for some reason.

But your eye was picked up 22 days ago, by a cacher who hasn't found a cache since 9 days after grabbing your TB, and is not a prolific cacher. The cacher might have placed it already, but didn't log properly. When you emailed them, they may have hit "reply", but your email is not listed so the reply went into the "No-Reply" void. Many possibilities.

You may see a log once a year, and know it's doing fine, or see current "Phone App Auto-Visits" to 500 caches when it was lost months ago. TBs are an unpredictable roller-coaster ride.

Edited by kunarion

My suggestion is that you must EXPECT your TB to disappear sometime. Hopefully later rather than sooner, but it is a gamble, regardless.

Whatever mileage you get on it is a bonus.

Postings on the TB page don't help, really (why would a holder even look at the page, once they have picked it up?).

Repeated emails, if the cacher even sees them sometimes creates a backlash. Don't even think of sending an email before at least a month has expired. Then, one email each for two months, then drop it! To keep harping on them is only gonna get your TB placed -- into the nearest trash receptacle.

Winter in North America sometimes creates for slower moving trackables too, so keep that in mind.

You put it out into the wild, you must assume that it is risky. There is little alternative.

Wishing your TB well, it may well yet continue to circulate, but do expect it to "rest" occasionally.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

What is your tb's goal? Usually we don't keep them longer than a week or so but had one that wanted to go to Devon, we kept that one for a month as we knew we were going - left a note when we picked it up to that effect though. We have also picked up tb hundreds of miles from where they are reported to be... We have recently released our first tb, if it goes far then great, if not, I won't be loosing any sleep over it.

What is your tb's goal? Usually we don't keep them longer than a week or so but had one that wanted to go to Devon, we kept that one for a month as we knew we were going - left a note when we picked it up to that effect though. We have also picked up tb hundreds of miles from where they are reported to be... We have recently released our first tb, if it goes far then great, if not, I won't be loosing any sleep over it.

the goal is to see anywhere and everywhere. every state in the U.S. and so on. just had high hopes for it to travel lots. Thanks all!

Nothing in Geocaching creates more angst than trackables. 75% of my TBs have disappeared over the years. A few seem to be gone forever only to pop up at a new cache years later. Weird things happen. I have found a TB in my Jeep under a mat that I had found 3 year prior and forgotten about, I'm sure the owner was surprised to see it moving again.

You can ask politely once or twice, at most 3 times - then just let it go.

OK, I looked at your trackable. #1 He hasn't had it that long #2 The reason he didn't move it right away was because he was planning to take it to another State.

You need to relax a bit and try to take your mind off it. I wouldn't suggest sending a 2nd email, just wait and give the poor guy some time.

02/12/2013 cyklops99 posted a note for it Visit Log

lets keep this moving pretty please!!

01/30/2013 cyklops99 posted a note for it Visit Log

cool, don't feel you have to take it to another state... as long as it's travelling and moving all is well. take a picture with it! :)

01/30/2013 barzy419 retrieved it from Should've Heard Those "Locked" Out Jailbirds Sing Missouri Visit Log

Will try my best getting it to another state as soon as possible!

01/30/2013 cyklops99 placed it in Should've Heard Those "Locked" Out Jailbirds Sing Missouri Visit Log

data on this page is cached for 3 mins

01-04 of 04 records ·01

Advertising with Us

so my first travel bug was grabbed mere hours after placing it... and has sat in the hands of the person who took it, for nearly two months. Though their cache's found number keeps rising (indicating they're caching). I've sent them a very nice e-mail asking them to move it along... (and got no reply) and have updated the webpage to say "please move along ASAP" and nothing....

any suggestions?

Sure don't know how you're figuring it's been "nearly two months"--looks like 3 weeks to me.

Have you looked at the actual caches they're finding? Often, much too often, I go out for a few caches and none of them are large enough to hold a trackable.

suggestions? yes. Chill. Sure, it would be nice if TBs were moved within a day or two, but that's just not how real life works. Get used to it.

Hi all, I am afraid I am guilty of immobilising a tb geocoin. I had found it, logged it, asked my partner to take it to the Manchester area where he works and to tell me where so I could log it's new destination. He didn't do it and I forgot about it. If you think 2 months is bad, I have caused this tb to be out of action for a year. So, please could you help me now? It's ref is TB3D9CD and it's objective was to get from the USA to the UK and back again and then just go travelling. I am going to Paris next week - would this be a good place to leave it or is it better to keep it in this country? Do I have to find an existing place to leave it or can I find a new place and leave a clue where it is?

I'm sorry I've held this one up. I've never done geocaching before and would like to get this one on its way again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by diggernumber9

Hi diggernumber9

First of all, could you please edit your post above and remove the tracking number of the geocoin - You can replace it with its public reference number which is TB3D9CD. You should not post tracking numbers of travel bugs or geocoins in a 'public' place like a forum or in a log as the tracking number should only be known to the owner and cachers who have seen the item in real life. :)

Now, what to do with the coin?

The mission on the home page seems a bit vague... It looks like the coin has travelled around UK with some cachers for a while (which was what it was supposed to do) and after that it says "then be left in the last cache they come to before flying home to the good old USA. After that, just travel from cache to cache."

Sooo, I think it's now travelling all over, to anywhere and everywhere.

Trackables (travel bugs or geocoins) always travel from cache to cache - You can place it in any suitably sized cache that you find - You don't have to make a new cache for it. Please don't just leave it in some other hidden spot and try to leave some sort of clue for it - That's not how it works!

If you take it to Paris you could drop it off into a cache over there. Make sure you log it into the cache correctly when you do the 'Found it' log for the cache.

Or, if you only find a micro cache there, one that's too small to take the geocoin, then you could give it a 'Visit' log to the cache, then bring it back to UK with you to be put into a larger cache.

Hope that helps a bit...

Thank you for asking the questions - ask away if you need more explanations.

mrsB :)

Hi diggernumber9

First of all, could you please edit your post above and remove the tracking number of the geocoin - You can replace it with its public reference number which is TB3D9CD. You should not post tracking numbers of travel bugs or geocoins in a 'public' place like a forum or in a log as the tracking number should only be known to the owner and cachers who have seen the item in real life. :)

Now, what to do with the coin?

The mission on the home page seems a bit vague... It looks like the coin has travelled around UK with some cachers for a while (which was what it was supposed to do) and after that it says "then be left in the last cache they come to before flying home to the good old USA. After that, just travel from cache to cache."

Sooo, I think it's now travelling all over, to anywhere and everywhere.

Trackables (travel bugs or geocoins) always travel from cache to cache - You can place it in any suitably sized cache that you find - You don't have to make a new cache for it. Please don't just leave it in some other hidden spot and try to leave some sort of clue for it - That's not how it works!

If you take it to Paris you could drop it off into a cache over there. Make sure you log it into the cache correctly when you do the 'Found it' log for the cache.

Or, if you only find a micro cache there, one that's too small to take the geocoin, then you could give it a 'Visit' log to the cache, then bring it back to UK with you to be put into a larger cache.

Hope that helps a bit...

Thank you for asking the questions - ask away if you need more explanations.

mrsB :)

Thanks mrsB, I have edited as requested and will find a suitable cache. I picked it up from the top of a wall which obviously wasn't a cache and that's why I wasn't sure how it worked. Cheers.

Ohhhh... That's an odd one then! Was it on a wall very near to a cache? Perhaps someone dropped it there accidentally... It was lucky you found it and looked after it. :)

MrsB

...asked my partner to take it to the Manchester area where he works and to tell me where so I could log it's new destination. He didn't do it and I forgot about it.

You learned something here... NEVER give a trackable to a non-cacher. There is no better way to have it lost!

It happens time and time again, usually with the same or similar results. Apparently not being geocachers, they seem to have little responsibility regarding these things. Maybe that is why they are called muggles.