Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandaals

New tech-class ham in San Jose

CQ, CQ... This is KG6SGY.

I just got my tech ticket and a 2-meter mobile!

I am now officialy KG6SGY.

Any Geo-Hams near San Jose? It would be really cool to be able talk to another Geocacher. I can raise at least 6 different repeaters from where I am, and the strongest one is "Charlie" on 147.855, negative offset, PL:100hz. I talk to people in San Francisco, Salinas, and all over Santa Clara county regularly, so if you're anywhere near the bay area, maybe we can get in touch.

-Greg Courville

KG6SGY

Gee Enginuity - Turning great ideas into abandoned projects since 1999

Congratulations KG6SGY! You were nice enough to send me a very helpful e-mail not long ago, in response to a query about 2-meter vs. CB. Tried to check "Now You're Talking" out of San Benito County Library, where they never heard of it, then Santa Clara, where all four copies are out. I'll keep trying, then test and we'll be talking. Live in Hollister, work in Morgan Hill.

Where did you go for your test, and how often are they administered? Again, congratulations.

Ooooops! Just checked, and the helpful post was from the Delta-S Family out of Gilroy. Nevertheless, we'll be talking -- eventually!

quote:
Originally posted by sandaals:

I am now officialy KG6SGY.

Now we just have to think up some new phonetics for "KG6SGY". Kelly Gets 6 ships golden yellow. Ah, there's got to be better. I was never good at that game....

KG6SGY-

I'll give you a call one of these days at commute time. Programmed that repeater that you mentioned. I can usually be found on 145.23 (100PL) or 146.64 (100pl?)

Commuting gilroy <---> palo alto icon_frown.gif

-K6RIO

The Bigg Family "Delta-S"

quote:
I can usually be found on 145.23 (100PL) or 146.64

146.64 comes in quite nicely for me, but my PL board doesn't work. I'm going to hook my radio to a computer and run a tone-generator program, which should solve all my PL problems.

For now, though, Charlie is the best bet because it will take a signal without PL if it is strong enough. There's always a group of commuters on weekday mornings.

By the way, what time does your commute start? I'm going to be on the radio tomorrow morning anyway (trying to work the ISS) so I'll scan around the repeaters you mentioned.

-Greg KG6SGY

Ugh... got up at 4:00AM today to try to digipeat through the ISS, and their **** TNC isn't working!

Mornings 5:30 to 6:30

Afternoons 3:30 to 4:30

I listened in to the morning guys on "charlie" this week. quite a talkative bunch. something about wanting to learn to machine his own fountain pens. there's a guy who needs a new hobby.

charlie fades out south of san jose. 146.64 is best all-around. good luck with your PL board.

The Bigg Family "Delta-S"