collecting countries

terratin

On 5/25/2024 at 6:15 PM, Arnàutil said:

I'm at 53 countries right now, next month planning to grab my 54 & 55 during holidays (Singapore and Malaysia) and in July most likely Indonesia for work trip (56th). :D

I have a way to go to match your geocache finds in 53 countries. Now at 33 countries for geocaching finds (I added Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Falkland Islands and Antarctica this year.) I hope to add Indonesia and Malaysia also this year. I'm taking a cruise from Sydney to Singapore (which I already have finds in), and the cruise stops at a couple of places in Indonesia. Not sure I will be able to find a cache there, but I will try. I plan a day trip to Malaysia while in Singapore.

• Upvote 1

Hong Kong, China, Taiwan & Macau coming up. It's SUCH a first world problem, but... really nervous about the long flight. If there's a secret formula for getting some sleep during a flight, I'd like to hear it. ^_^

Anyway, a nice GPX is all the tour guide I'll need, as usual. 

• Helpful 1
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

If there's a secret formula for getting some sleep during a flight

You mean, besides splurging on a bed in the dorm room up front?  :wub:

I usually pop a melatonin 10mg before my destination bedtime to get a head start against jetlag, but you could instead do that on departure to encourage sleep during the flight.

I've always gotten an aisle seat in the middle section.  If some unlucky soul is in the middle seat beside you, they're likely spoused with the aisle person on their other side, who will be the one getting up as needed.  But try sleeping in an aisle seat with people grabbing your headrest or draping their sari across your face as they walk by...

On some planes, the last few rows have one less seat because the fuselage tapers.  I've grabbed an aisle seat there because of a wee bit more seat width or elbow room.  But you're last off the plane.

Going west from North America to, say, Hong Kong, I rarely get jetlag.  It hits going the other direction, I find.  It's easier to stay up late than go to sleep early.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

Hong Kong, China, Taiwan & Macau coming up. It's SUCH a first world problem, but... really nervous about the long flight. If there's a secret formula for getting some sleep during a flight, I'd like to hear it. ^_^

Interesting to read that. I had the same mixed feelings before my flight to New Zealand earlier this year (I'm not a regular long-distance traveler at all). Time difference to CET was 12 hours, and I had serious concerns that the first days of the vacation in NZ would be ruined because of severe jet-lag.

It turned out to be no issue at all. We arrived in the middle of the night, while our "internal clocks" were on CET around noon. But after the very long air travel (24 hrs in total, 22 on the planes) with hardly any sleep, we nevertheless just "dropped dead" into the hotel beds at 1 am. The next day was intentionally planned as a "time zone acclimatization" ;) day - sleeping in until the late morning, and only very relaxed activities during the day. This worked like a charm, and on the first few days in NZ, the only jet-lag symptoms I experienced were some short periods of fatigue during times, where they normally don't occur. But a small power-snack and enough water always brought my batteries back up to 100%. So the bottom line is: Don't worry, and look forward to your trip B)!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

You mean, besides splurging on a bed in the dorm room up front?  :wub:

I usually pop a melatonin 10mg before my destination bedtime to get a head start against jetlag, but you could instead do that on departure to encourage sleep during the flight.

I've always gotten an aisle seat in the middle section.  If some unlucky soul is in the middle seat beside you, they're likely spoused with the aisle person on their other side, who will be the one getting up as needed.  But try sleeping in an aisle seat with people grabbing your headrest or draping their sari across your face as they walk by...

On some planes, the last few rows have one less seat because the fuselage tapers.  I've grabbed an aisle seat there because of a wee bit more seat width or elbow room.  But you're last off the plane.

Going west from North America to, say, Hong Kong, I rarely get jetlag.  It hits going the other direction, I find.  It's easier to stay up late than go to sleep early.

I'm useless with sleeping on a plane. Melatonin doesn't do anything there. I prefer to sit on the window seat as I can lean against the wall, but still. Laying inclined just hurts my back and bum after a while, and if I'd not use a neck pillow I'd wake up with my ear on my shoulder if I do find some sleep. So yeah, I do try to avoid long intercontinental flights because it takes 4-5 days to get over jetlag.

• Helpful 1

Added Sark to my country list today. Had about 5hrs quality caching and sightseeing time on the island and found some 12 caches and cycled and walked around 18km. Now I'm back on Jersey and will have 1.5 more days here. Have collected 10 of 12 municipalities by now and found all ECs along my cycle routes.

With regards to Channel Islands, I'm sure I'll also visit Guernsey and Herm one day, even though there's no new country to bag here. Been to Alderney already.

IMG_2464a.jpg

IMG_2470a.jpg

IMG_2453a.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Thanks all for the tips! I'm kind off reluctant on taking melatonin (or even temazepam which I have as a left-over from some recent sleep issues) and stuff. The idea of being even more sleepy whilst not having actually slept scares me off. One thing I will definitely do is take an aisle seat in the middle section, that makes so much sense!

Btw, amazing pics @terratin!

• Upvote 1

Melatonin is the body's own natural sleep hormone ... but the body produces less as we get older.

I'd never take a pharmaceutical (especially after the last few years!) when a natural body ingredient is available.  The latter had a much longer design cycle.  B)

On 6/5/2024 at 5:50 AM, Goldenwattle said:

I have a way to go to match your geocache finds in 53 countries. Now at 33 countries for geocaching finds (I added Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Falkland Islands and Antarctica this year.) I hope to add Indonesia and Malaysia also this year. I'm taking a cruise from Sydney to Singapore (which I already have finds in), and the cruise stops at a couple of places in Indonesia. Not sure I will be able to find a cache there, but I will try. I plan a day trip to Malaysia while in Singapore.

So I had to cancel our trip to malaysia and singapore for a good reason... my partner got pregnant! with hopefully our first child, so because of zika virus risk, we changed our flights to Seychelles. Much quieter trip but for sure will grab some caches there.

On the other side in one month I will travel to Indonesia for work so I will add for sure two new countries to my list :D

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I'm currently in the process of booking a trip a year from now. Yes, you heard correctly. I've booked the only cheap accommodation for my preferred dates and am now waiting for the flight back to become available. Just a few more days I think. Lets see if I need to change the hotel after all 😅

• Funny 1
6 hours ago, terratin said:

So it's sorted: Next year I'm going to Greenland. I've never booked a trip so far in advanced but for the past two years I always missed the few cheap flight tickets including a stopover. :)

Ok I'm now completely jealous, Always wanted to go since as a 10 year old flying between Europe and Seattle several times and looking out the window and seeing the vast glaciers and rocky coastline wondering what it was like down there.

Hope you have a fabulous experience! 

For me it is third on my North American bucket list.

1 - Drive the Dempster Highway to Innuvik and carry on to Tuktoyaktuk and swim in the arctic ocean,

2 - Visit a small outpost of France in North America St. Pierre. And explore the Canadian Maritimes.

3 - Visit Greenland

Some day,  maybe I should start trying to make it happen.

• Upvote 2
On 6/22/2024 at 5:35 PM, MNTA said:

1 - Drive the Dempster Highway to Innuvik and carry on to Tuktoyaktuk and swim in the arctic ocean,

2 - Visit a small outpost of France in North America St. Pierre. And explore the Canadian Maritimes.

3 - Visit Greenland

Some day,  maybe I should start trying to make it happen.

16 hours ago, Smitherington said:

I also have my eyes on French islands off Newfoundland, Saint Pierre & Miquelon

I don't want to make you too jealous... but if you want to combine all of this: We are going on a (12 day) cruise next week (by Norwegian Cruise Line) starting in Iceland -> Greenland -> Newfoundland (Canada) -> St. Pierre et Miquelon (France) -> Novia Scotia (Canada) -> New York City

The cruise is also available in the opposite direction.

3 minutes ago, RCH65 said:

I don't want to make you too jealous... but if you want to combine all of this: We are going on a (12 day) cruise next week (by Norwegian Cruise Line) starting in Iceland -> Greenland -> Newfoundland (Canada) -> St. Pierre et Miquelon (France) -> Novia Scotia (Canada) -> New York City

Thanks for the information I hope you have a wonderful trip. Please share your pictures.

BTW:
Sunset in Reykjavik (28/06): 23:57

Sunrise in Reykjavik (29/06): 03:03

Oh, that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh
I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh
That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh
I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh

🤩🖖

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RCH65 said:

We had a nice trip to the Maritime Provinces.  Loved Newfoundland.  Also enjoyed Prince Edward Island.  Though very expensive toll bridge to get there.  St Pierre et Miquelon gives you a Souvenir for St Pierre et Miquelon, NOT for France. 

A couple things:

I’m not given to jealousy but that cruise sounds wonderful. Never thought about getting to St Pierre Miquelon that way but I like the idea.

Secondly as I recall the bridge to Prince Edward Island it was free. That is until the return trip where it was forty some bucks.

But the island was lovely and very much worth the cost.

Not collecting countries, but collecting shires/councils. I will be home today after driving around the neighbouring state of NSW here in Australia. I will have driven almost 3,500km and I ticked off eight shires or councils, as they are called here. The main reason for the trip. Walgett, Coonamble, Warren, Gilgandra, Narromine, Cobar, Parkes and Leeton councils and shires. Western part of the state. I had found others shires on previous trips. I still have a few more in the north east of the state to find, but most shires and councils for the state of NSW found now.

I found all the caches in Warren Shire...all three of them 😉.

image.png.cbe142777831eaf5c0391aec67456b98.png

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2