Sign in to follow this  
Followers 7
terratin

collecting countries

Cached country #40 this weekend with three finds in Monaco.  Lovely little place, even if it is all stacked up on top of itself in places.

Also enjoyed hearing every bell in Nice peal at 11:00 on 11/11.  That was really something.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 11/13/2018 at 10:22 AM, hzoi said:

Also enjoyed hearing every bell in Nice peal at 11:00 on 11/11.  That was really something.

I bet that was nice. :)

Off to Fiji this weekend.  Landed there before but never actually visited, so will bring up my 78th country.

I've finally found a good enough  reason to go tu Russia next year, coloring a huge junk of the map 😃

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I bet that was nice. :)

Off to Fiji this weekend.  Landed there before but never actually visited, so will bring up my 78th country.

I know how that goes.  I landed in Kenya 4 times before I was actually able to get out of the airport and visit the country.  As of a month ago or so there is now a direct flight from JFK to Nairobi so any future trips I might take to the continent might involve landing in Kenya again.  There's also an interest in a new project from an organization in Nairobi I haven't worked with before that could take me to Nairobi *and* include  leaving the airport.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Where'd you move to this time?   I had 4 international trips this year but only picked up three new countries (Kenya, UK, and Luxembourg).   Although it won't make a difference in the amount of international travel I do we recently bought a second home that's 2.5 hours away from Newark airport which will make it a bit easier for traveling abroad.  I don't have anything specific planned but there's a project proposal under consideration with an organization in Botswana that could result in a trip or two to Botswana and possibly one or two of the target countries for the project (Rwanda, Mozambique, Uganda...).  

Netherlands. About 380 counties, and I only have 28 so far. I was so far with the UK counties... oh well... I'll see if I can make a dent into this massive amount somehow. At the moment I have a few nights on Aaland in May on my radar. I could also bag Finland as stopover in Helsinki is long enough, but I'm not sure I'll do that as I'd not visiting the country properly.

Just returned from a vacation trip to Uzbekistan (wonderful!!!) where I could grab 1 cache (and suffering, it was our last try after some DNFs... I was already losing hope). We also had 4 days off to Rome where I visited the Vatican. These were my 38th and 39th countries where I've geocached in.

Overall I've visited 45 countries, so there are 6 countries visited by me where I haven't found a cache yet (because it was before I started geocaching): Morocco, Belgium, Luxembourg, Croatia, Slovenia and Monaco.

8 minutes ago, Arnàutil said:

Just returned from a vacation trip to Uzbekistan (wonderful!!!) where I could grab 1 cache (and suffering, it was our last try after some DNFs... I was already losing hope). We also had 4 days off to Rome where I visited the Vatican. These were my 38th and 39th countries where I've geocached in.

Overall I've visited 45 countries, so there are 6 countries visited by me where I haven't found a cache yet (because it was before I started geocaching): Morocco, Belgium, Luxembourg, Croatia, Slovenia and Monaco.

Wow, the central Asian countries are really high on my list to visit! Actually, I visited Kazakhstan on business but did not search for a cache. Well, there 'was' only one in that town, but I guess it never existed. Placed by a zero finds/hides cacher, and found by someone a few days later. Bit suspicious to be honest. I at least have easy flight connections to Georgia from here. This might be a fantastic trip I think :)

Other places I've never found caches: Finland, Jersey (Channel Island), Andorra and China. And Florida state.

4 hours ago, terratin said:

Netherlands. About 380 counties, and I only have 28 so far. I was so far with the UK counties... oh well... I'll see if I can make a dent into this massive amount somehow. At the moment I have a few nights on Aaland in May on my radar. I could also bag Finland as stopover in Helsinki is long enough, but I'm not sure I'll do that as I'd not visiting the country properly.

I found the one just outside terminal 2 in Helsinki.  It's very close to the exit of the terminal in the parking garage.  I had an overnight layover there so was able to take a walk for a couple of hours and find several other caches.  

Countries I have visited but did not find a cache:  Norway (layover too short), Zambia, and Canada of all places.  

I just began this crazy game last year, but do enough traveling that I have 24 countries now.  My wife is not a fan of quick trips to grab caches, so I am having to do some of it alone.  We have cruises planned in January for Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, and Cuba, with other non-cruise family trips to Spain, Portugal and possibly France in June, and Brazil in July.  But so far I am having to do solo a Wednesday-Friday trip to get the oldest ones in Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire in March.  And thinking about doing 4 or 5 island countries from St. Lucia to Trinidad later in the year.  Suggestions for fellow travelers for this retired guy?

What is it you want to know? I have done cruising combined with geocaching and some caching in Central America so may have something to offer. Could you be a little more specific? 

Edited by colleda
clarity

Looking for someone to share expenses (or t least travel together) on geocaching trips to collect new countries, initially in the Caribbean; that was accidentally deleted from the post.  I have traveled in 80 or so GC "countries", and have spent weeks in each of the ABC islands mentioned in the post, all before I stumbled onto this game.

14 hours ago, CCSGA said:

I just began this crazy game last year, but do enough traveling that I have 24 countries now.  My wife is not a fan of quick trips to grab caches, so I am having to do some of it alone.  We have cruises planned in January for Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, and Cuba, with other non-cruise family trips to Spain, Portugal and possibly France in June, and Brazil in July.  But so far I am having to do solo a Wednesday-Friday trip to get the oldest ones in Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire in March.  And thinking about doing 4 or 5 island countries from St. Lucia to Trinidad later in the year.  Suggestions for fellow travelers for this retired guy?

Just one.  Don't bring a handheld GPS into Cuba (they're not allowed).

Thanks for the Cuba advice; I normally just carry the cell phone, but perhaps using it to direct me to caches would arouse suspicion.   I had already noticed the precision with which cachers are directed to the locations of the caches, so maybe even the cell phone is unnecessary.

21 minutes ago, CCSGA said:

Thanks for the Cuba advice; I normally just carry the cell phone, but perhaps using it to direct me to caches would arouse suspicion.   I had already noticed the precision with which cachers are directed to the locations of the caches, so maybe even the cell phone is unnecessary.

There is no problem bring a cell phone with an internal GPS into Cuba.  Smart phones are very common  for Cubans.  You won't have access to data though and getting wifi access is a bit of a challenge as well.  As is the case when traveling internationally anywhere and geocaching, preparation is the key to success.  You can download all the cache data you'll need for offline use with most apps.  

On 11/21/2018 at 8:22 AM, CCSGA said:

Looking for someone to share expenses (or t least travel together) on geocaching trips to collect new countries, initially in the Caribbean; that was accidentally deleted from the post.  I have traveled in 80 or so GC "countries", and have spent weeks in each of the ABC islands mentioned in the post, all before I stumbled onto this game.

Bit far too for me.

We added #26 by finding a cache in Argentina  last week. We also have a new Southernmost  cache. Country #27 is just around the corner... just a few more days.