collecting countries

terratin

On 4/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, Smitherington said:

I like that map of Australia.  Oh that I would get to travel there someday.  

You have contiguous entities north to south.  Now I can see a new goal of contiguous areas east to west.  

I have N/S in the USA and hope to complete East to West this summer.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 1.09.19 PM.png

Nice map, how did you generate it? Project GC???

On 2/1/2022 at 2:49 PM, terratin said:

No, I know what you mean. I always try to get as many types as possible as well. Republic of Ireland might hold the record for me. On a day. That was one crazy trip.

I also had trip to Ireland like that, but in one night instead of one day. GC43 and climbing up that Bray Head, on frozen ground, at night. 7 types then I think. DNF multi...

In more recent news, I now have 9 types in 9 countries...

17 hours ago, JakeDot said:

I also had trip to Ireland like that, but in one night instead of one day. GC43 and climbing up that Bray Head, on frozen ground, at night. 7 types then I think. DNF multi...

In more recent news, I now have 9 types in 9 countries...

Cool! I don't know where I am in that respect. I try to get many types per country, but often it just doesn't work out. I could have gotten a multi and letterbox in Bucharest, but for some reason I forgot to make a little detour for a planned letterbox and went straight into the metro for an EC, and the multies were trolling me. Solve one: final coords far, far away. Start on... oh wait, translation makes no sense. Try another one: nope, also can't make sense of translation. Ok, lets do this one then: ugh, first station answer seems to have changed. etc... :P

So yeah, planned is the Giga in Prague, and I might beat my previous highest types in a day there (or not). And then Serbia, followed by Mongenegro. And in the meantime I'll see what I can do with the German county/federal country map.

4 hours ago, terratin said:

multi

I was in Norway, and one CO had written, for those who don't understand Norwegian to contact them, and they would supply the final coordinates. I contacted them and was given the final coordinates. That made it easy. They wrote:

"This cache is unfortunately not available in English, due to the questions, which require a good understanding of Norwegian. Due to this limitation, I will provide the coordinates to any foreign visitors who asks me for them." They did suggest still do the walk.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Helpful 2
On 4/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, terratin said:

I don't know where I am in that respect.

You have 8 cachetypes in 8 countries, but 9 only in 4
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8F2Z9/45845
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8943K/45455

Of course, it can always be one-upped; 10 in 10 is too much for me (and probably also too much to be published...)
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6C4AY/53701

On 4/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, terratin said:

So yeah, planned is the Giga in Prague, and I might beat my previous highest types in a day there

Cool, we might meet there! My max highest types in a day was 12 (or 13 including Labs) also in Czechia, at the Giga in Plumlov / Moravia.

Edited by JakeDot
On 4/13/2022 at 11:05 PM, JakeDot said:

You have 8 cachetypes in 8 countries, but 9 only in 4
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8F2Z9/45845
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8943K/45455

Of course, it can always be one-upped; 10 in 10 is too much for me (and probably also too much to be published...)
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6C4AY/53701

Cool, we might meet there! My max highest types in a day was 12 (or 13 including Labs) also in Czechia, at the Giga in Plumlov / Moravia.

Thanks a lot.I couldn't be bothered to find a checker for this :) Yes, maybe we need at the Giga. I'll only be there on Saturday though.

In the past year I added Costa Rica.  We went on vacation there.  For business i was in Bahrain and got a virtual at the main Souk.  Bab al Bahrain.    On my way home I got the virtual at the Frankfurt, Germany airport.  The owner was kind enough to message me about a very easy Adventure lab he did at the airport as well but I was too tired to chase it down.  Later this year we are planning to vacation in Ireland.  And I found a road which puts me in (ahem) Northern Ireland with a cache on it at a cool historical church..  So I guess that will be two more countries making nine total.

• Love 1

Ugh, my Germany geomap still looks very incomplete. I've just booked two nights on this island with the arrow to cycle around (70km) and mop up some EarthCaches there. And if the whole planning kind of works I'll be able to add another 'county' to SE Denmark asimage.png.8c28a1993e22e0c9bb2bffdbaf05ad5c.png well. Babysteps...

Germany I still don't have too many counties, at least I got all regions.

image.thumb.png.08c82842a9a16723551aafbae26a81d6.png

I recently found out that Israel got counties data and I missed 4 when I was there, not having the map at the time... Not looking likely I will do those anytime soon... Again, aligar...
image.png.4f229658d940c5125fa0d701fe1475c1.png

Perhaps I will sooner finish Czechia... Again, aligar...
image.png.178bd68e3d70f843b82550c3602dfbf6.png

Or maybe Ireland? You know it, aligar... and the remaining ones are a nice contiguous blob...

image.png.218edfc85def428e2d5135e51029d7da.pngti

As I wrote earlier, I still need Alderney in Guernsey, to have both regions...

image.png.f91c2ee09776d467141b3ad59b0d87d0.png

The only checkmark on a country badge I have with my native Austria :antenna:

1239259418_Screenshot2022-04-25201546.thumb.jpg.95a6484eabaddeec757ca4a63bf0c335.jpg

• Funny 1
On 4/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, terratin said:

Ugh, my Germany geomap still looks very incomplete. I've just booked two nights on this island with the arrow to cycle around (70km) and mop up some EarthCaches there. And if the whole planning kind of works I'll be able to add another 'county' to SE Denmark as well. Babysteps...

Lubeck's nice if you've not been btw. Excellent walls and old stuff - and fabulous marzipan.

• Upvote 1
On 4/29/2022 at 11:15 AM, terratin said:

Oh no?!? What? Where? That's way outside my caching zone :P

Haha, I was just trying to trigger you, it's not coming that quickly. I first have to 'find' the last 5 Kreise I'm still missing. After that.. who knows?

ps_map2.php?mapHash=b0b447f1223812028c19c34b6d16f8889b86d635

Just added Romania and Serbia. I was a bit scared of the border crossing, as I've never left the EU by car, but it actually was the smoothest I've ever done (except for Schengen borders of course). Less than 5 minutes either way.

Planned for 2022: Czechia, Montenegro and Albania.

• Upvote 1

I just added Belgium and Luxembourg during the last few days, that makes 50 countries where I found a geocache in!! :P

Still some countries left in Europe, most notably: Norway, Iceland, Slovenia, all of the Balkans (except for Kosovo), Moldova and Ukraine. Also Jersey and Guernsey which, if I'm not wrong, gc.com counts as separate countries.

Next up will be Tanzania  in three weeks!

On 1/28/2022 at 4:27 AM, Vooruit! said:

Btw, am I the only one that likes to collect as many cache types in a country as possible?

Most of my international travels have been as part of trips with others, so I consciously dial back the geocaching so that others can enjoy the trip in their own way.

I have been known to wake up at 5 AM from jet lag and quietly slip out of the hotel to get as many as I can before breakfast, which helps balance things a bit.

I added Serbia to my list, caching mostly in Belgrade and Novi Sad. Have to say that Serbia was the most difficult country in Europe yet, because communication wasn't so easy. I only found out the last day that many people speak pretty good French. On the way back to the airport. Oh well...
One of the language difficulties: tried to buy a bus ticket from Belgrade to Novi Sad. Needed about 5 minutes to clarify that I wanted to travel today, and not in the evening but now. Then got a ticket. For a bus leaving in 4 minutes from one of the many bus stops. Argh! Fortunately, the bus was delayed after all. :P
This year will still add Montenegro, and maybe Bosnia and Herzegovina for a day trip, and that's all.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
On 5/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, JakeDot said:

I have now booked my transport and accommodation for visiting Alderney, Herm and Sark in July (staying on Guernsey). Still need to figure our an Interrail-friendly train route to get there and back via GC80000 mega event...

My journey was by train and involved the SNCF and a French Ferry company. What would you guess happened? But at least I now have Sark as my 50th country and also found caches on Herm, Guernsey and on the way Paris, Caen and Cherbourg. Now back in France after 3 nights on Guernsey. Tomorrow I'll go to Lens near the Mega.

image.thumb.png.8a74ff9cdfaff80083ab53b4338957e0.png

• Upvote 2

Back from our holiday in Montenegro, an amazing country. Of course, I couldn't resist doing a day trip to both Bosnia-Hercegovina and Albania.

image.png.6b275a13a451df7a4b7f48294a94d2c8.png

I managed to convince (that's how it works, right?) my family our next trip definitely should be to Kos (Κως), from which it's only a half an hour of ferry to Turkey.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 4/19/2022 at 12:41 AM, Seadog6608 said:

In the past year I added Costa Rica.  We went on vacation there.  For business i was in Bahrain and got a virtual at the main Souk.  Bab al Bahrain.    On my way home I got the virtual at the Frankfurt, Germany airport.  The owner was kind enough to message me about a very easy Adventure lab he did at the airport as well but I was too tired to chase it down.  Later this year we are planning to vacation in Ireland.  And I found a road which puts me in (ahem) Northern Ireland with a cache on it at a cool historical church..  So I guess that will be two more countries making nine total.

Northern Ireland is not counted as UK, though you should get an extra souvenir for Ulster (if you didn't already from an RoI county at the border...)

I love collecting countries too. Is there a way to see which countries have souvenirs available?How does it work for the islands such as in the Caribbean? We have one for Dominican Republic but what about an island owned by another country? Would you get the country of ownership or nothing at all?

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, 3billygoats said:

I love collecting countries too. Is there a way to see which countries have souvenirs available?How does it work for the islands such as in the Caribbean? We have one for Dominican Republic but what about an island owned by another country? Would you get the country of ownership or nothing at all?

This is really useful website: https://thea-team.net/souvenirs/countries

• Helpful 1
On 8/24/2021 at 8:19 PM, JoLTeam said:

Only one new since the start of Covid: Aland , country#37. We made a small ferry detour on our Sweden-North Cape trip.

In '22 we're hoping to add Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro and Canada.

Just got back from the HQ Celebration (+HQ, APE and Jasmer), and of course we've added Canada as country #40. Earlier this year we got Bosnia and Montenegro, so the goals for '22 are all achieved.

Next year we'll try to go to Scotland, and add Isle of Man to the list.

Aso on the short (or long)list: Costa Rica, Malta, Guernsey, Iceland, and, oh yes, San Marino!

Edited by JoLTeam
  • Helpful 1

Since my last post, I've not collected any more countries, but I've upped my sub-country stats some.

I visited 7 more regions of Switzerland

image.thumb.png.f797cb3b22364623bc9240d11c3870d0.png

I collected all counties of Liechtenstein
image.thumb.png.6914c038d4ec77a331df57bc5867df32.png

as well as all regions of Slovenia

image.thumb.png.7aafdf4f13c4a89a38205b878226bfa0.png

And I managed to visit a Community Celebration Event a.k.a. Lost & Found Event in all neighbor countries of Austria except Hungary and Italy (which will both follow in September). Maybe I'll hide a challenge for that (or, more likely, any type of event) :antenna:

Also, I now have 10 cachetypes in 9 countries, thanks to France and Switzerland... however, I still don't have a webcam in France! Oh no. :signalviolin:

image.thumb.png.190539bc9a6e111b64bedb2cd3c51575.png

Found out that we've got a short fused opportunity to visit Europe later this fall and we're taking it! I'll be looking to grab France, Germany, and the UK for sure, also potentially Luxembourg and Austria depending on how the exact planning goes.

I'll also be able to get Iceland, but I've already found a few there back when I first started. Should be a good time!

• Upvote 1

LOL, I am travelling and have now driven on just this one trip this year, over 15,000 kms. (I had another trip of several thousand kms too, but less, earlier.) I will not collect another country. Just to put this into reference for all those Europeans taking a tiny trip and being able to claim several other countries for far less distance. Why, even Australian states don't get a separate entry in GC maps.

Comparative areas of Australia & Europe | Australia map ...

This is the map from a trackable I am carrying and our journey this trip. (For those who think I should have released the TB earlier, this is one of several TBs I am carrying where the owners want me to continue with them, as I take photographs. Several have contacted me to say how much they are enjoying seeing my trips. ) I will release the TBs into my TB Hotel when I get home. They will then have circumnavigated the mainland.

image.png.8c6d06d130e0655095c7be56f869e5cb.png

Here is one travelling with me. I have had this with me for some time, as the geocacher died. I will pass it on one day when I meet another geocacher who knew her. You can see an example of photographs.

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5482216

ADDED: I have found many more caches than that. Most I don't log the TBs with.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 3

On my way to Montenegro now :) With a bit of luck I'll somehow get to Mostar in Bosnia Herzegovina as well. I'm also hoping to visit Dubrovnik, but I have Croatia on my geomap already, as well as Albania and Serbia. Things are now starting to get a wee bit difficult from my home airport. I realized I could fly to Erbil in Iraq, which has been on my wishlist for ages for the citadel, but there aren't any caches. So.. Syria?

image.png.116c4ed4b407e60d80b89be2f67d8fcc.png

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Ok, Bosnia and Herzegovina is a fact after the most ridiculous trip ever (well, kind of only). Got up at 6:30, drove to bus station in Montenegro, waited for delayed bus. Bus arrived in Mostar with a delay of two hours, but that left me ample time to find a few caches, get a DNF, visit a marvelous Spomenik and just do some general sightseeing. Going back tomorrow, and based on this experience I don't really expect to be back before dinner.

• Love 2

Back home from a wonderful summer vacation. From now on finding summer vacation destinations in Europe, with nice weather, sea and a new country will be difficult. Bulgaria and Slovenia are still options, but I've looked at Bulgaria before and only found terrible, overrun mass tourism places. And Slovenia seems rather expensive. Maybe Albania, even if it's on my geomap already from a day trip. But I'd like to see more of that country. Oh dear.. the problems of someone who loves to visit a new country ever so often.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 9/14/2022 at 11:58 PM, terratin said:

Oh dear.. the problems of someone who loves to visit a new country ever so often.

Tell me about it.  From New Zealand it's getting really difficult to get new countries.  "Low hanging fruit" for me have become the likes of Bali, Indonestia, Malaysia, even South Korea and Taiwan...

Just got back from the HQ20/22 etc - no new countries, but a couple of new states.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Tell me about it.  From New Zealand it's getting really difficult to get new countries.  "Low hanging fruit" for me have become the likes of Bali, Indonestia, Malaysia, even South Korea and Taiwan...

Just got back from the HQ20/22 etc - no new countries, but a couple of new states.

Yeah, sounds more difficult for you. Sorry :sunsure: I could still spend my summer vacation on one of the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (or Greenland, should I suddenly get stinking rich). Got beaches, possibly sunny. Just not warm :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1