collecting countries

terratin

On 8/15/2019 at 11:12 AM, Arnàutil said:

In one month I'll be flying to Thailand, and then onto Cambodja and Vietnam. These will be my 42nd, 43rd and 44th countries! :D

Nice!

I was in Belgium recently and added 4 more provinces (and mainly looked at fantastic geology). Now I'm only missing Brussels.

4 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Going to Belgium and missing Brussels is quite an accomplishment in and of itself.  

Why? It's only 20 minutes by train from here (28Km) and we rarely go there. There are better places to visit in Belgium (although it's certainly not an hellhole as as a certain someone once claimed).

Last week we were on a Baltic cruise and grabbed countries #35 and #36 (Finland and Russia). We were glad there are two virtuals and an EC in Saint-Petersburg (and at very touristy locations) , otherwise we wouldn't have been able to grab a cache there (we were visaless and thus condemned to a guided excursion). 

5 hours ago, on4bam said:

Why? It's only 20 minutes by train from here (28Km) and we rarely go there. There are better places to visit in Belgium (although it's certainly not an hellhole as as a certain someone once claimed).

Totally! I've completely fallen in love with Wallonia, the lovely little villages and towns in the Ardennes, great food, and the fantastic geology. I have to admit that I do have a history of getting rather grumpy in Brussels, thus I've not been there since starting geocaching. But the same is true for Amsterdam which I only visit when I really have to even though it's not far for me. On this recent Belgium trip I briefly considered nipping off the motorway and into Brussels for a suburb cache, but couldn't be bothered in the end. I'll get there one day :)

Btw, if you ever get to Den Haag and fancy caching together or just having a coffee: give me a shout

Just realized: Cyprus next week! Summer vacation, and a new country. Still have a lot to prepare.

edit: Post 1313. Ah.

Edited by terratin
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, on4bam said:

If you already live in Belgium than you're not traveling there from somewhere else.   For those traveling to Belgium from outside Europe, Brussels is the most likely first stop as it's a fairly major hub for international flights.  I've transited through there twice and it was my point of entry when I spent a week in Hassalt.  

BTW, I live about 4.5 hours from New York City and even though I can't get there by train I go there several times a year.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
Just now, NYPaddleCacher said:

If you already live in Belgium than you're not traveling there from somewhere else.   For those traveling to Belgium from outside Europe, Brussels is the most likely first stop as it's a fairly major hub for international flights.  I've transited through there twice and it was my point of entry when I spent a week in Hassalt.  

Correct. And of course you want to see the Grand Place, City Hall, Manneken Pis and the Atomium as a visitor to Belgium. Next would be Bruges and Ieper (WW I ) but... given there's enough time, there's a lot more to see and do in places that are not "tourist hot spots" and that will be just as memorable.

The virtual award caches may help finding such spots.

Just an example, there was a lot of rain last Sunday so instead of a high favorite multi we  planned (20Km from our B&B) before driving home, we headed home in a near straight line along part of the remaining caches of a series with one cache in every town of Flanders (Northern Belgian region). While planning where to have our afternoon break (drink, ice cream, pancake...) we saw a virtual at a well known abbey and decided we would stop there. Although we knew the location by name we'd never been there but were pleasantly surprised.

It's like visiting NYC, there's the WTC (we were on top of the "original" tower in 1987), Liberty Island, Times Square......  but wandering off there's much more (pleasantly surprised to visit a Harlem church with a choir singing even though we're not religious).

After the "must see/must do" things there's always more. Even in our little town the mayor and tourist office are promoting the few sights we have to the Chinese. We do have an UNESCO heritage site and event B)

Shameless promotion here :ph34r:

23 hours ago, on4bam said:

Correct. And of course you want to see the Grand Place, City Hall, Manneken Pis and the Atomium as a visitor to Belgium. Next would be Bruges and Ieper (WW I ) but... given there's enough time, there's a lot more to see and do in places that are not "tourist hot spots" and that will be just as memorable.

The virtual award caches may help finding such spots.

Just an example, there was a lot of rain last Sunday so instead of a high favorite multi we  planned (20Km from our B&B) before driving home, we headed home in a near straight line along part of the remaining caches of a series with one cache in every town of Flanders (Northern Belgian region). While planning where to have our afternoon break (drink, ice cream, pancake...) we saw a virtual at a well known abbey and decided we would stop there. Although we knew the location by name we'd never been there but were pleasantly surprised.

It's like visiting NYC, there's the WTC (we were on top of the "original" tower in 1987), Liberty Island, Times Square......  but wandering off there's much more (pleasantly surprised to visit a Harlem church with a choir singing even though we're not religious).

After the "must see/must do" things there's always more. Even in our little town the mayor and tourist office are promoting the few sights we have to the Chinese. We do have an UNESCO heritage site and event B)

Shameless promotion here :ph34r:

If I get back to Belgium I hope to visit Bruges. Last time I was there  I spent a day in Antwerp that I hadn't planned but since I was with about a dozen other people (half from Cuba, half from Ethiopia) I never got a chance to cache there.  I almost went for a cache in Liege when I switched trains coming back from Luxembourg and the train to Hasselt was cancelled but they got another one very quickly.   I thought the botanical gardens in Brussels were nice until I was kicked out at closing time before I could find "Brussels #1". 

The first time I ever visited NYC we took the subway to Battery park (south end of Manhattan) and then walked uptown all the way to central park.  That included a trip to the top of the old WTC tower for lunch and the views.  That was many years before I started caching though.   Although I go to NYC quite often I usually forget about geocaching due to all the other stimuli there.  

7 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

If I get back to Belgium I hope to visit Bruges. Last time I was there  I spent a day in Antwerp that I hadn't planned but since I was with about a dozen other people (half from Cuba, half from Ethiopia) I never got a chance to cache there.  I almost went for a cache in Liege when I switched trains coming back from Luxembourg and the train to Hasselt was cancelled but they got another one very quickly.   I thought the botanical gardens in Brussels were nice until I was kicked out at closing time before I could find "Brussels #1". 

The first time I ever visited NYC we took the subway to Battery park (south end of Manhattan) and then walked uptown all the way to central park.  That included a trip to the top of the old WTC tower for lunch and the views.  That was many years before I started caching though.   Although I go to NYC quite often I usually forget about geocaching due to all the other stimuli there.  

I would recommend Ghent. Bruges is a "must see" on most lists but Ghent also has a lot to offer. The center is not that big and there's easy access by train. Good for a one day visit.

Also, in Bruges, there are still many nice spots that are not overrun by touristgroups but at most of the highlights you can still pick a time where it not crowded (season and time of day)

We walked a lot in NYC and hotel staff recommended to stay away from the subway the first time we visited. in 1987 we saw the "hotspots" (took the ferry at battery park to Liberty island). In 2008 we re-visited a few places (Liberty Island, UN, Empire state building...) and found that several places had such high security measures and thus waiting lines, that we never returned to the US (after 10 visits and 30+ states).

Both pictures are from 1987 (scan from 35mm slides) our 2nd US visit (1986 was CA, AZ, NV)

NYheli.jpg

NYpano.jpg

5 hours ago, on4bam said:

I would recommend Ghent. Bruges is a "must see" on most lists but Ghent also has a lot to offer. The center is not that big and there's easy access by train. Good for a one day visit.

Also, in Bruges, there are still many nice spots that are not overrun by touristgroups but at most of the highlights you can still pick a time where it not crowded (season and time of day)

We walked a lot in NYC and hotel staff recommended to stay away from the subway the first time we visited. in 1987 we saw the "hotspots" (took the ferry at battery park to Liberty island). In 2008 we re-visited a few places (Liberty Island, UN, Empire state building...) and found that several places had such high security measures and thus waiting lines, that we never returned to the US (after 10 visits and 30+ states).

Both pictures are from 1987 (scan from 35mm slides) our 2nd US visit (1986 was CA, AZ, NV)

NYheli.jpg

NYpano.jpg

I considered going to Ghent or Bruges on the weekend I had free but went to Luxembourg instead.   I don't know when, or if I'll get back to Belgium.  There's a fair chance I'll be going to Gottingen, Germany in October though.

Many people (including me) recommend taking the Staten Island ferry form Battery park.  Although it doesn't land on Liberty Island it gets very close and it's free.   When a big city has popular attractions there are going to be long lines to see them.    I don't think NYC (or the U.S.) has the monopoly on long lines for popular attractions.  

23 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I don't think NYC (or the U.S.) has the monopoly on long lines for popular attractions.  

The issue was not the long lines, the issue was (and probably, 11 years later, still is) "airport security" to visit stuff. It's bad enough at the airports but going through it at several "tourist attractions" put us off another visit. Plenty of places to go where we can visit more freely.... B)

Which US state should I visit to find my first cache/s in the United States? :) 

I'm from Europe, Luxembourg so it is easy to collect a lot of countries here. It's very easy to find about 20 caches in 5 countries within 5 hours (Luxembourg, Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands) I found my first 50 Caches in 5 different countries. 

2 hours ago, Goldeneye91 said:

Which US state should I visit to find my first cache/s in the United States? :) 

I'm from Europe, Luxembourg so it is easy to collect a lot of countries here. It's very easy to find about 20 caches in 5 countries within 5 hours (Luxembourg, Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands) I found my first 50 Caches in 5 different countries. 

That depends on where you arrive.   We've got lots of international airports.   Personally I probably wouldn't recommend New York because it would mean flying into JFK, LGA, or EWR (which is in New Jersey).  The geocaching around those airports is not very good, and caching near airports typically isn't all that good.   However,  there are a couple of pretty amazing caches in NYC. 

I've found caches in 15 European countries and I don't live in Europe.  

Thanks for the answer, NYPaddleCacher,

Coming from Europe, we prefer the East coast. I was never in the United States, but New York looks great; NYC, the capital Albany (smaller than Luxembourg city but looks charming) and the Catskill mountains. I think it is possible to visit this places and some more during 1 trip.

I found most of my caches in Luxembourg: we've about 4000 caches. A lot of lost places in the south, vineyards (east), highlands (north). The New York State looks also very varied. I also like the back land areas. :-)

15 countries; great! My last European country was Bosnia. It was a hard fight to find some caches there (caches ar rare there, connection failures... but finally we managed it) 3 tradi-Caches & 1 earthcache.

Edited by Goldeneye91

I just finished looking at every single mystery and multi on Cyprus, solving about 25 mysteries and selecting a few multies that I would potentially do if I feel like it. Phew, best vacation preparation in ages. One very long multi on churches (they are UNESCO World Heritage sites) is a must. The rest... well, maybe, maybe not.

I also very tentatively consider flying to Seattle for the 20 year event next August and then spending another 1.5-2 weeks caching and exploring in Washington and Oregon. I hope it works.

16 hours ago, Goldeneye91 said:

the capital Albany (smaller than Luxembourg city but looks charming) and the Catskill mountains

There are many caches a short drive from the Albany airport (a relatively small airport, and a mile or two out and you are in rural countryside with lots of caches!) that are typical suburban caches, as well as state parks with geo tour type caching trails, all within an hour or so of the airport.  The Catskills are full of geocaches - hope you find a lot!

Been without internet for the last while but we managed to add French Polynesia to our collection. Tahiti has been a travel dream for decades. :) Tomorrow we hit Auckland and I am hoping to scoop up at least a couple of FMZ’s challenge caches while there. There is such a great variety of them. 

• Helpful 1
13 hours ago, terratin said:

I also very tentatively consider flying to Seattle for the 20 year event next August and then spending another 1.5-2 weeks caching and exploring in Washington and Oregon. I hope it works.

Look at doing the Trifecta - HQ, APE* and original stash plaque (Oregon).  There are lots of great caches in between those also.  Also a week later is GeoWoodstock in BC (most likely to go Giga this year).

There is a lot of different environments to explore in WA & OR:  Ocean coast, rain forest, mountains, desert, volcanic areas (lava tubes and flows, splatter cones, stratovolcanos, etc.) forest, river valley and such.  It's one of the few places you can surf in the morning, ski in the afternoon and have a 5* meal that night.

*There will be another "Going APE" event the Sunday after the HQ event.  Or do it on your own to avoid crowds.

Edited by The Jester
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, The Jester said:

Look at doing the Trifecta - HQ, APE* and original stash plaque (Oregon).  There are lots of great caches in between those also.  Also a week later is GeoWoodstock in BC (most likely to go Giga this year).

There is a lot of different environments to explore in WA & OR:  Ocean coast, rain forest, mountains, desert, volcanic areas (lava tubes and flows, splatter cones, stratovolcanos, etc.) forest, river valley and such.  It's one of the few places you can surf in the morning, ski in the afternoon and have a 5* meal that night.

*There will be another "Going APE" event the Sunday after the HQ event.  Or do it on your own to avoid crowds.

Yep, I know. The APE is on my tentative list as one can't stand on one leg, right? (found the one in Brazil last year). HQ, it depends on whether they are open around the time. The stash plaque... well, maybe. I'm rather looking at GC12 as I'm only in need of that date for completing my Jasmer challenge :wub: But I'll avoid the Going Ape event as I'm simple not into Megas in general. I'd rather go to a small event in a pub and talk to friends than being among masses of people I don't know. Basically I want to explore, enjoy nature, all the different landscape forms you mention. Might be tempted to try and get a Mount St. Helens permit :o And yes, so much to see in general! Utah last year was super difficult to plan as I knew I could not do everything, didn't want to do too long drives between parks and not sleep elsewhere every night. I think I stroke a fairly good balance by choosing Zion (Kolob turned out to be closed, so I went to Snow Canyon for that day), Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef (the best) and planning the drive such that I could do some Jasmer caches.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, Goldeneye91 said:

Thanks for the answer, NYPaddleCacher,

Coming from Europe, we prefer the East coast. I was never in the United States, but New York looks great; NYC, the capital Albany (smaller than Luxembourg city but looks charming) and the Catskill mountains. I think it is possible to visit this places and some more during 1 trip.

If you do go to that area then I'd say the drive to Niagara is worth it - but do go across the border and see it from the other side as well (and made even fly back from Toronto?)

1 hour ago, Blue Square Thing said:

If you do go to that area then I'd say the drive to Niagara is worth it - but do go across the border and see it from the other side as well (and made even fly back from Toronto?)

Just wanted to comment that I do love your user image! :lol:

• Upvote 1
On 8/24/2019 at 5:03 PM, Da Wards said:

Been without internet for the last while but we managed to add French Polynesia to our collection. Tahiti has been a travel dream for decades. :) Tomorrow we hit Auckland and I am hoping to scoop up at least a couple of FMZ’s challenge caches while there. There is such a great variety of them. 

:cool:

On 8/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, funkymunkyzone said:

:cool:

Congrats on the Auckland FTF. Right place, right time, eh bro? Sweet! I had a quick look at the map and none of my previous finds in Auckland are still current but one DNF is. A couple at Devonport are still there. I'll be back there on Jan 2020 for a weeks tour of the north island so I'll have a chance to add some smileys to the map then. Will be leaving Auckland on a cruise back to Oz on 3/2.

19 hours ago, colleda said:

Congrats on the Auckland FTF. Right place, right time, eh bro? Sweet! I had a quick look at the map and none of my previous finds in Auckland are still current but one DNF is. A couple at Devonport are still there. I'll be back there on Jan 2020 for a weeks tour of the north island so I'll have a chance to add some smileys to the map then. Will be leaving Auckland on a cruise back to Oz on 3/2.

Be sure to put the NZ Mega 2020 in October on your todo list ;)

2 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Be sure to put the NZ Mega 2020 in October on your todo list ;)

Thanks. That's a bit far ahead than how I usually plan and I'm not much into events. ATM I have a cruise planned from Italy to Miami (Nov 2019). NZ( jan/feb 2020), Armenia, Georgia & Azerbaijan (April 2020) and Canada/Alaska Jun 2020). I'm also trying to work out if I can fit in and afford a couple of weeks on canals in UK. There's also a 10 day China tour I'd like to squeeze in for AUD666, including flights.

Where to next?

- I have plans to fly to Houston and do a roadtrip across to Atlanta to get me to quad-jasmer and pick up all the southern/south-eastern states.  No new countries.

Or

- A long standing plan to go to South America and do Peru (maybe Inca trail if I'm feeling fit enough, Mache Pichu day trip if I don't) and Bolivia (>6000m mountain peak and caches).  A couple of new countries.

Decisions...

On 8/24/2019 at 12:12 AM, CAVinoGal said:

There are many caches a short drive from the Albany airport (a relatively small airport, and a mile or two out and you are in rural countryside with lots of caches!) that are typical suburban caches, as well as state parks with geo tour type caching trails, all within an hour or so of the airport.  The Catskills are full of geocaches - hope you find a lot!

The eastern part of the Catskills has a lot of geocaches but much less so as you go further west.  I have a house in the western part of the catskills and hope to add some.  

On 8/25/2019 at 5:37 AM, Blue Square Thing said:

Niagara is a considerable distance from New York City, about a 7 hour drive.  One of the routes would take you very close to "The Spot" (GC39), the 4th oldest active cache in the world.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:27 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Niagara is a considerable distance from New York City, about a 7 hour drive.  One of the routes would take you very close to "The Spot" (GC39), the 4th oldest active cache in the world.

I think it's the 6th oldest active cache in the world.  It's on my list for next time I am in that part of the world, and then I will have found the 7 oldest active caches.  One more and I'll then have the 10 oldest...

Two new countries pending in the next couple months: Lithuania (will complete the Baltic trio for us) and Cyprus (finally found a direct flight from Frankfurt to Larnaca - it must be a seasonal thing).  They will be #42 and #43 respectively.

Planning is in the works for San Marino, possibly in December.  But I hope to visit before we move.  I always regretted not getting down there the last time we were here, and I will doubly regret it if we miss it this time around.

After that it'll be catch as catch can for 2020.  Montenegro, perhaps?

12 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I think it's the 6th oldest active cache in the world.  It's on my list for next time I am in that part of the world, and then I will have found the 7 oldest active caches.  One more and I'll then have the 10 oldest...

The published dates of the first 6 or so are within just a week or two.  Which list are your using?     

Have you found "Rift Valley"?   It is, allegedly the first virtual cache (that is still a virtual cache).  I found an EC that overlooks Rift Valley while on a 3 day safari to Masai Mara.  On the way back we stopped in a town that is *in* Rift valley (which runs from Lebanon to Mozambique) where most of us go in a vehicle back to Nairobi while a couple of others headed up to Lake Naivasha and Nakuru, which is about an hour and a half away from the Rift Valley cache.  

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

If you're into old caches, a NEW old one was published a few days ago here. That sure will mess up people's statistics. :ph34r:

How does that work? Are we allowed to put arbitrary placed dates now?

I drove close to that spot last Monday when I went to Antwerp for work; last Tuesday I got my 13th country, Luxembourg, and on the drive home from there to England on Wednesday managed 4 countries, 7 regions and 7 counties (4 in Belgium and all new ones for me). I can see ways of beating 7 counties relatively easily (going from Oxfordshire to Kent and back, each side of London on the orbital M25 motorway) but I think the other 2 will be personal bests for a long time if not forever. 

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Two new countries pending in the next couple months: Lithuania (will complete the Baltic trio for us) and Cyprus (finally found a direct flight from Frankfurt to Larnaca - it must be a seasonal thing).  They will be #42 and #43 respectively.

Planning is in the works for San Marino, possibly in December.  But I hope to visit before we move.  I always regretted not getting down there the last time we were here, and I will doubly regret it if we miss it this time around.

Nice! I've just returned from Cyrus. If you look at my profile you can see the 64 or so caches I've logged there. Most of them were rather worth it, either for the location or the cache. But if you want to know anything let me know. I did spent most time with lovely mantle rocks or historical sites though :wub:

Lebanon coming up on 1. October. I've planned a lovely short route avoiding the troubles mostly, exploring the mountains east of Beirut, then east towards Aanjar and Baalbek, through the Kadisha Valley and back via Byblos. That should give me enough for my history and landscape addiction ;) And if I don't report back.. then Lebanon has a much bigger problem than it already has.

11 hours ago, hzoi said:

I had a brief stopover in Cyprus last year but no time to dash out and grab a cache. I was flying from Doha, Qatar, to Tel Aviv and Israel does not allow direct flights from Arab countries, hence the change at Cyprus. Another time perhaps.

13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The published dates of the first 6 or so are within just a week or two.  Which list are your using?    

image.thumb.png.6d39488164955194bb6345d8e3b7bec1.png

(noting of course that the 26th May in NZ was most of a whole day before the 26th of May in New York, making this order correct)

13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Have you found "Rift Valley"?   It is, allegedly the first virtual cache (that is still a virtual cache).

Not yet, but of course I plan to one day!  It is the 12th oldest active cache in the world.

8 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

image.thumb.png.6d39488164955194bb6345d8e3b7bec1.png

(noting of course that the 26th May in NZ was most of a whole day before the 26th of May in New York, making this order correct)

Not yet, but of course I plan to one day!  It is the 12th oldest active cache in the world.

It's also the oldest cache on the continent.  Since Lane Cove was originally a physical cache and changed to a virtual,  I consider this one the first virtual cache.  

5 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Back from my trip with three new countries:  China, South Korea and Macau.  Up to 41 now.  We stopped in Hong Kong but only long enough to catch the ferry to Macau.  

How did you enjoy Macau?

When I was there with a geocaching friend, we initially got so many DNFs in a row that the word Macau is now used to describe any place we go where we get a few DNFs, as in "Oh, don't go pulling a Macau", or "this place is so Macau". :)

But... the portuguese custard tarts (ok, they aren't as good as the genuine Pasteis de Belem in Lisbon) are to die for...

You'll have to do Hong Kong sometime too - there are some really nice places to go geocaching there, some great sights to see.

12 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

How did you enjoy Macau?

When I was there with a geocaching friend, we initially got so many DNFs in a row that the word Macau is now used to describe any place we go where we get a few DNFs, as in "Oh, don't go pulling a Macau", or "this place is so Macau". :)

But... the portuguese custard tarts (ok, they aren't as good as the genuine Pasteis de Belem in Lisbon) are to die for...

You'll have to do Hong Kong sometime too - there are some really nice places to go geocaching there, some great sights to see.

Macau was good.  We took a cruise ship tour - ferry from HK, half day tour and ferry back.  4 caches found, no DNFs.

One was in a bad way, lots of logs complaining but no NM log.  I did the NM and will NA next month.

I've been to Hong Kong a few times but never cached there.  It will happen some time.

8 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I've been to Hong Kong a few times but never cached there.  It will happen some time.

Our stopover in HK (on our way to NSW,QLD) was cut short pre-caching time because of a British Airways strike and we were planning a stopover this year. It would have added to many €€€ to do so and with current unrest we're glad we didn't do it.

Currently making plans for a wild trip next spring: travel to Helsinki by plane, take the ferry to Estonia, pick up the rental car, drive through Latvia and Lithuania, visit Chernyahovsk in Kaliningrad Oblast (Russia) by train and Grodno (Belarus) by bus. Oh, and the official excuse is that I'll be attending a business conference in Vilnius, Lithuania. Got to make the most of it!