collecting countries

terratin

23 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Go to Hong Kong anyway. The caching is quality, and I've been going annually for five years now to keep having fun chipping away at it.

I couldn't give a flying dump whether this website deems it worthy of a badge or not.

Funny comment! Why would you think a person would not go to a place just because there is no souvenir? Maybe you think this way; I certainly don't.

54 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Funny comment! Why would you think a person would not go to a place just because there is no souvenir? Maybe you think this way; I certainly don't.

Colour me confused. It was you who brought up souvenirs and how "unfortunately" Hong Kong doesn't have one.  I agree with VP - who cares? This topic is about collecting countries, not souvenirs.

Edited by funkymunkyzone
29 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Colour me confused. It was you who brought up souvenirs and how "unfortunately" Hong Kong doesn't have one.  I agree with VP - who cares? This topic is about collecting countries, not souvenirs.

It was indicated that I wouldn't travel to a country without a souvenir. I never said that. Collecting countries is also collecting souvenirs. The two go hand in hand.

Edited by Goldenwattle
2 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

It was indicated that I wouldn't travel to a country without a souvenir. I never said that. Collecting countries is also collecting souvenirs. They two go hand in hand.

No I dont think anyone suggested *you* wouldn't go somewhere without a souvenir, but it remains you're the only one who suggested the lack of souvenir to be a negative thing. And I doubt many of the country collectors here are bothered by whether they have country souvenirs - after all, they only go hand in hand for a minority of countries. Personally it's the finds, specifically the ones I can leave my signature in...

4 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

No I dont think anyone suggested *you* wouldn't go somewhere without a souvenir, but it remains you're the only one who suggested the lack of souvenir to be a negative thing. And I doubt many of the country collectors here are bothered by whether they have country souvenirs - after all, they only go hand in hand for a minority of countries. Personally it's the finds, specifically the ones I can leave my signature in...

I don't mean to pile on Goldenwattle but I agree with funkymunkyzone here, and the assessment that few of the country collectors here are bothered about finding a cache in a new country but not getting a piece of digital artwork for it.    This thread (up to 33 pages now) is about collecting countries and souvenirs are rarely mentioned.  It's an interesting thread to me as it's been almost entirely drama free and seems to be a spot that a few people have carved out in the broader geocaching forum to discuss a common interest or focus in how we play the game.    To me, country collecting is about the experience of going off to new countries and finding a few caches while exploring a new place.   This thread is about sharing those experience with other like minded geocachers and reading about the experiences of others.  It's often a place where one can get suggestions from others about specific countries.   The fact that Hong Kong doesn't have a souvenir (yet) wouldn't dissuade me from doing any geocaching there, but the posts that Viajero Perdido and others have made about Hong Kong have convinced me that, given the opportunity, it would be a country that I'd like to collect.  

• Upvote 2

All I made was a comment.

“Unfortunately Hong Kong doesn't have a souvenir, despite there being a lot of geocaches to find there. (Singapore has a souvenir, so don't know why Hong Kong doesn't, and it's not included in a China souvenir either). The others I don't know about. Enjoy your trip.”

I even wished Gill & Tony a good trip. 

Then Viajerp Perdido gives this as a reply: "“Go to Hong Kong anyway. The caching is quality, and I've been going annually for five years now to keep having fun chipping away at it. I couldn't give a flying dump whether this website deems it worthy of a badge or not.”

"I couldn't give a flying dump..." I found unnecessarily dismissive (like take a flying jump). A simple, “I don’t worry about getting a souvenir” would have been appropriate. Okay, my wrong, I shouldn't have reacted and bitten.

(By the way, I have been to Hong Kong several times.)

As this is a geocaching forum, I not unnaturally thought that as well as visiting countries, that a geocaching feature such as the country souvenirs would be part of a discussion. It seems I was wrong. Out of here.

Edited by Goldenwattle

Sorry for stirring up angst.  In this thread, the interest in counties seems to go beyond the short list anointed by the marketing department.  Mine does, anyway.

Back to G&T's and FMZ's targets...  I also think Seoul is every bit as wonderful as HK for caching (and better food, if that's possible), also Taipei comes close in my opinion.  All three are modern cities with great transport to the surrounding hills and their caches.  And the caches are locally placed and maintained; there are no slums of vacation caches that I could see there.

And I think only a "vacation event" would fly in North Korea, except that such events are frowned upon in general now.  And hmm, in NK you can't even wander around on your own, so your minders are in control of your schedule.  Telling them you need to be here at this time likely won't work.

I'm still looking for that next Hong Kong: a modern city with hill caching nearby, where I don't need a car.  So far Seoul and Taipei have met the requirements.  And Busan, sort of (many DNFs).

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Always poofread *before* clicking Submit
On 3/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, Goldenwattle said:
On 3/21/2019 at 4:36 AM, on4bam said:

We noticed the same in WA driving from Perth to Exmouth. 20 minutes between cars was no exception (in July). Driving back from Monkey Mia to Denham one night (after an aboriginal walking tour) we saw no cars at all except for the police car that came sneaking up on us when we were standing still next to the road shining the car lights into the open spaces next to the road to see the roos and wallabies B).  Friendly guys though but I'm sure we were acting "suspicious".

It's common in Australia away from urban areas on some roads to drive and see few cars. I have just returned from nine days away and there were places we saw few cars and we were not way out west in remote areas either. The Alpine Way was one road with few cars and the Araluen Road was another. A bit sloshy the last one, as there were road works happening on the dirt road.

When we were in Australia last year (driving from Perth to Esperence), a semi deliberately tried to run us off the road. I'm so glad that all41 was driving, and not me. We learned quickly to be careful with semi drivers while in the middle of nowhere there. That's served us well, because the semi drivers down here in the South (of the U.S.) are quite similar. I've never seen anything like it in the NW. It's like Mad Max down here. :o  <_<

2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Sorry for stirring up angst.  In this thread, the interest in counties seems to go beyond the short list anointed by the marketing department.  Mine does, anyway.

Back to G&T's and FMZ's targets...  I also think Seoul is every bit as wonderful as HK for caching (and better food, if that's possible), also Taipei comes close in my opinion.  All three are modern cities with great transport to the surrounding hills and their caches.  And the caches are locally placed and maintained; there are no slums of vacation caches that I could see there.

And I think only a "vacation event" would fly in North Korea, except that such events are frowned upon in general now.  And hmm, in NK you can't even wander around on your own, so your minders are in control of your schedule.  Telling them you need to be here at this time likely won't work.

I'm still looking for that next Hong Kong: a modern city with hill caching nearby, where I don't need a car.  So far Seoul and Taipei have met the requirements.  And Busan, sort of (many DNFs).

All in all, it's a pretty good part of the world to go geocaching.  Singapore has some good urban caching, and an hour away one can take a boat to a jungle island (Pulau Ubin).   The Sarawak state of Malaysia is just a couple of hour flight away  and the food in both places is wonderful as well.  

Since GS hasn't released souvenirs for every country, and hasn't published the selection criteria for choosing which country will get one next, all we can do is speculate as to why Singapore and Malaysia have a souvenir available but there isn't one yet for Hong Kong.  

I hope that Goldenwattle gives the thread another chance.  While it may appear as just another thread in the "Geocaching Topics" forum section,  I think it's developed a culture a bit different from many of the other threads that just turn into a semantic debate.  

• Upvote 1

Hong Kong shut us out on an over night stay last October. Tried for three different caches in the morning before our flight but it wasn’t meant to be. 

Tomorrow we will leave Mauritius and fly to Paris. It will feel great to hit another new country with a bit more caching variety (and less heat)!

8 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

When we were in Australia last year (driving from Perth to Esperence), a semi deliberately tried to run us off the road. I'm so glad that all41 was driving, and not me. We learned quickly to be careful with semi drivers while in the middle of nowhere there. That's served us well, because the semi drivers down here in the South (of the U.S.) are quite similar. I've never seen anything like it in the NW. It's like Mad Max down here. :o  <_<

I'm pleased you are okay. That would have been scary. (Fortunately that has never happened to me.)

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:
9 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

I'm pleased you are okay. That would have been scary. (Fortunately that has never happened to me.)

Thanks. I'm extra sensitive to semis, so that makes it difficult for me. My mom and I took a road trip around the country when I was 16, so I drove a lot as practice, since I was a newer driver. When we got to the highway around Salt Lake City, we got boxed in by fast driving semis and I had a bit of a panic attack (but I managed to drive through it ok). So I have a bit of a phobia towards them. 

3 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

Thanks. I'm extra sensitive to semis, so that makes it difficult for me. My mom and I took a road trip around the country when I was 16, so I drove a lot as practice, since I was a newer driver. When we got to the highway around Salt Lake City, we got boxed in by fast driving semis and I had a bit of a panic attack (but I managed to drive through it ok). So I have a bit of a phobia towards them. 

We have these road trains in central Australia. Up to 52 metres long. They are 'fun' to overtake. (Cache stop)

Car with road train passing.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

We have these road trains in central Australia. Up to 52 metres long. They are 'fun' to overtake. (Cache stop)

When we were in WA they sure were fun. Fortunately our rental car was a Holden Commodore which made overtaking a "breeze" pushing 160-170Km/h for a moment.

Holden.jpg

Edited by on4bam
3 minutes ago, on4bam said:

When we were in WA they sure were fun. Fortunately our rental car was a Holden Commodore which made overtaking a "breeze" pushing 160-170Km/h for a moment.

Holden.jpg

Fortunately many roads are straight too. I got up to 157km by my Tom Tom, overtaking one of them. (For a moment as you say, although some parts of the NT there is no speed limit.) The speed would have looked higher on my speedometer, which it usually does.

4 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Fortunately many roads are straight too. I got up to 157km by my Tom Tom, overtaking one of them. (For a moment as you say, although some parts of the NT there is no speed limit.) The speed would have looked higher on my speedometer, which it usually does.

I wouldn't have done it if there was the slightest chance of an accident ;), straight road and a few kilometers free view was the minimum. And we were looking our for roos too although at that speed chances are we would have hit them anyway. It was on the Perth - Exmouth road, so very little traffic. BTW, speeds were only looked at on the GPS not at the moment we did them (eyes on the road at that moment).

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, on4bam said:

Holden.jpg

Not that I want to make a big deal about it but I think it ought to be said...  While I love to drive fast too - I'm licenced to drive any speed I like, on a track - those speeds you mentioned go beyond the scale of speeding offences/fines and are considered reckless driving in Western Australia.  They would land you with (assuming it's a first offence) a "maximum fine of 120 Penalty Units ($6,000) or imprisonment for 9 months; as well as a period of licence disqualification for minimum of 6 months".  The vehicle can also be impounded, which is probably not covered by rental car insurance.  Not to mention the real risk of death, yours or others, in doing this on a public road...  It's not worth it.

Edited by funkymunkyzone
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Lisbon, perhaps?  Good rail and bus network, lots of caches in town and around town, and certainly plenty of hills in nearby Sintra.  I barely scratched the surface there last week. 

(We'd already been to Faro, so not a new country this time.)

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:06 AM, on4bam said:

pushing 160-170Km/h for a moment

I pushed 160-170 kph for several moments on my drive back home this past weekend - the Jeep really does well on the Autobahn, much better than the CR-V I brought over here last time.  It's nice that truck traffic is lower on the Autobahn on the weekend, especially Sunday where trucks are mostly restricted.  Nothing more frustrating (or potentially life threatening) than getting into a groove and then having to slam on the brakes because some fool in a rig needed to go 81 kph to pass the 80 kph rig in front of them.

• Helpful 2

Fond memories of the autobahn, but...  Back to the topic of collecting countries...  I got home last week from my Pacific Island hopping adventure with 5 new countries bagged - Marshall Islands (oh yes that virtual was such an amazing adventure, it is forever etched into my brain), Micronesia, Guam, Palau and Northern Mariana Islands (specifically Saipan).

But really, the highlight of the trip - massive shout out to Palau.  If you have not visited Palau then you areally must.  NYPC - this place is definitely for you.  There's an endless array of islands and beautiful turqoise sea to go paddling about in, and all of it teaming with sea life.  Words cannot do justice.  Such a pristine, clean, well cared for place, true paradise on earth.  I hope I get a chance to get back there again.  Oh, and best passport stamp ever!

• Helpful 1

Hoping to add a few more countries in November this year. Taking a cruise from Genoa to Rome, Valencia, Lisbon, Azores, Bridgetown, Martenique, St Maarten, San Juan Puerto Rico and lastly Miami. Then fly back to Oz. Florida is the only one of those I have previously cached in. Ship is MSC Divina.

5 hours ago, colleda said:

Taking a cruise from Genoa to Rome, Valencia, Lisbon, Azores, Bridgetown, Martenique, St Maarten, San Juan Puerto Rico and lastly Miami.

As in one single cruise?  Wow.  What's the itinerary?  I'd guess it would take a bit to steam from the Azores to Bridgetown, even at 24 knots.

7 hours ago, hzoi said:

As in one single cruise?  Wow.  What's the itinerary?  I'd guess it would take a bit to steam from the Azores to Bridgetown, even at 24 knots.

Yep, a 20 day cruise. Five sea days between Azores and Bridgetown. Not many on the Roll Call ATM but I suspect there will be quite a few cruisers from N America as this cruise has been aimed at that market. Not looking forward to the flight back from Miami to Sydney via Doha (where I've been before). Looks like I've just gained an Egypt souvenir?

Not as exciting as the rest of them in here, but this summer I've got a roadtrip from the Alaskan Panhandle to the East Coast planned. While I have Canada as a country already, I'm excited to grab caches in several new territories, including the Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan and (if I can convince my wife to let me make a 1.5 hour detour) the Northwest Territories!

I still have to log (non secure wifi in our hotel and no vpn setup on my laptop So I'll log when back home) but finally logged GC40 (oldest cach in continental Europe) yesterday morning and found some 20+ caches in Luxembourg. Today we will do a few (Wherigo, multi, virtual) in Luxembourg city and tomorrow we have some letterboxes, virtuals, EC on our list.

Although we booked this a few weeks ago we didn't expect the excellent summer weather we'rd having. 24°C and bright sunshine.

So it finally happened, got GC40 and filled Luxembourg.... the closest ones are the most difficult B)

Edited by on4bam
  • Love 1
On 4/19/2019 at 6:03 PM, colleda said:

Yep, a 20 day cruise. Five sea days between Azores and Bridgetown. Not many on the Roll Call ATM but I suspect there will be quite a few cruisers from N America as this cruise has been aimed at that market. Not looking forward to the flight back from Miami to Sydney via Doha (where I've been before). Looks like I've just gained an Egypt souvenir?

Awhile back I was looking at a cruise web site and wondered how long of a cruise would could take.  I found quite a few multi-month cruises and a Viking cruise that is set to depart from London in August, will last 245 days, and take travelers to 59 countries  

13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Awhile back I was looking at a cruise web site and wondered how long of a cruise would could take.  I found quite a few multi-month cruises and a Viking cruise that is set to depart from London in August, will last 245 days, and take travelers to 59 countries  

And I thought the one I'd seen from Seattle to Alaska, Hiwaii, South Pacific and Sydney in 49 days was long!  Sounds like a trip of a life time - but my sister-in-law would shoot us if we left her in charge of Mom for that long.

6 hours ago, The Jester said:

And I thought the one I'd seen from Seattle to Alaska, Hiwaii, South Pacific and Sydney in 49 days was long!  Sounds like a trip of a life time - but my sister-in-law would shoot us if we left her in charge of Mom for that long.

That would most likely have been a repositioning cruise.These happen twice a year when the cruise companies move some of their ships from the northern hemisphere to southern hemisphere in winter then back again for summer. They are usually 3-4 weeks sometimes longer depending on routes taken.

Just came back from Aland and Helsinki. The weather in Helsinki was unfortunately not good but Suomenlinna is absolutely worth a visit. Oddly, I was bugged by ticks and mosquitoes in Helsinki but had no problems on Aland. Aland is brilliant in May before the tourist season starts: very quiet, often didn't see anyone during some hikes. And the quality of the caches is great: Just old-fashioned, good-sized containers at interesting locations. No need to build gadgets as the landscape does the trick. Lots of wildflowers and blooming trees at the moment, and good, fresh food. Only downside when travelling so early: most cafes out and about are still closed so you need to bring your own lunch and some things, like canoe rentals are still closed. And knowing a bit of Swedish helps. I waited 15 minutes at a ferry landing, but the ferry didn't come. Then I realized I had to actually call it by pressing a button. I did. An old man left the house on the other islands, started up the ferry and came over :lol:

Edited by terratin

Welcome to Canada!  It's a big place; whereabouts?

The province on the left (British Columbia) is a caching paradise if you like wilderness caches.  That, also the lumpy western part of the next province (Alberta), except in the national parks which unfortunately are hostile to the game.

I hope to spend much time this summer finding caches in BC's back of beyond...  I rarely get on a plane in summer; home is just too freaking awesome.  (...and I write this as I'm enjoying the back-home beer after the first camping trip of the season, yah.)

Well, I have been to Mexico.  Walked across the bridge from El Paso to Ciudad Juarez.  But that was before Geocaching.  And the British Virgin Islands.  Before Geocaching.  I do have 72 Canadian Provinces.  Got BC at my brother's wedding.  We went for a tour of eastern Canada.  My brother-in-law didn't understand our once-in-a-lifetime tour of eastern Canada, but did approve.  We drove from Maine to PEI and Nova Scotia (got the oldest cache in Canada!)  Flew to St John's, Newfoundland.  Great time there.  Would have flown from there to St Pierre et Miquelon, for a cache in France!  But, before we left, it was change from France to Saint Pierre and Miquelon.  A cache in France would have been worth the flight!  (And the long walk to the cache.)  But, sorry, not for a cache in Saint Pierre and Miquelon.  So, I have two countries.  And, that's all I'll ever have.

7 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Thank you! And sure it's a big place. Far to big for 3 weeks of holiday. But I have to start somewhere, right? :D

Our flight goes to Vancouver. There we´ll rent a camper van or so and go east/north. National parks, Banff n stuff. No verry specific plans so far.

Of course I´ll hunt for some caches, but Geocaching will not play a major roll. My fiance is not a great fan of geocaching ^_^

I had a sales conference in Greece 2 weeks ago - that was my 12th country and furthest east. Next week again for work I'm visiting 5 Spanish provinces, all new (currently on 2/19 there, one of which was again for work) and in a month another conference in deepest mid-Wales will be a new UK county.

6 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

Vancouver  ...  Banff

Huge country, but I think you chose the best part, excellent!  The geo-map of interior BC is a thing of beauty.  And with places like this...  Your rental van could probably survive that road (if you don't look too closely at the agreement), and there's a scruffy one-table campsite at, well, the top of the world.

733fc45d-ad3a-47f8-875b-e735ec1074d7_l.j

And that's just an example.

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, hzoi said:

Flight booked for a trip to Riga, Latvia, at the end of the month, which would be our 41st flag.  Looking forward to it.

Be sure to see the extensive Art Nouveau architecture in Riga. We were really impressed with what we saw when we biked through there 3.5 years ago

IMG_0325.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
22 hours ago, hzoi said:

Flight booked for a trip to Riga, Latvia, at the end of the month, which would be our 41st flag.  Looking forward to it.

Got my  28th, 29th, and 30th countries last year (Kenya, UK, Luxembourg) and had return visits to South Africa, Ireland, and Cuba).   I had some health issues early this year and have not traveled at all since.  I'm just starting on a project that, if it comes to fruition, might involve a couple of return trips to South Africa and possibly Uganda.   If I can fit it in, I'd like to take a trip to Botswana during one of those SA trips.  

On 5/14/2019 at 6:18 AM, Michaelcycle said:
On 5/13/2019 at 1:56 PM, hzoi said:

Be sure to see the extensive Art Nouveau architecture in Riga. We were really impressed with what we saw when we biked through there 3.5 years ago

Thanks!  Kelly is a big fan of Art Noveau, so we will definitely be keeping our eyes open for good examples.

On 5/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

The province on the left (British Columbia) is a caching paradise if you like wilderness caches.  That, also the lumpy western part of the next province (Alberta), except in the national parks which unfortunately are hostile to the game.

I hope to spend much time this summer finding caches in BC's back of beyond...  I rarely get on a plane in summer; home is just too freaking awesome.  (...and I write this as I'm enjoying the back-home beer after the first camping trip of the season, yah.)

I'll be hitting up BC this summer as well but focusing more on the Northern Section; doing the drive from Whitehorse, YT, through BC and down towards Dawson Creek via the 1 and 97. Any recommendations for must-sees in that area (not necessarily caching related as the wife 'tolerates' my caching habits). 

From there we'll hop through Alberta and Saskatchewan before entering the US in Montana. 

Hmm, I kinda suck at non-caching recommendations.  You'll want to see the Icefields Parkway of course, between Jasper and Banff.  But it'll be full of tourists, and accommodations will be pricey.  You're from Alaska I gather, so maybe you have similar scenery at home.

The badlands around Drumheller are cool, and there's a nice simple campground just north of town beside the ferry.  And though I haven't been, I hear Liard Hot Springs are worth a visit, right up at the top of BC.  On a similar note, I've enjoyed Lussier Hot Springs, and Halfway Hot Springs.  The latter was a hippy village when I visited; a culture-of-BC experience, a delight.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
41 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Hmm, I kinda suck at non-caching recommendations.  You'll want to see the Icefields Parkway of course, between Jasper and Banff. 

I wonder how the Columbia Icefields look now. We were there in 1995 when there was just a little shed to buy ticket to go up in the big buses. In 2005 we found the area changed a lot with shopping restaurants on the other side of the road. The glacier retreated a lot too. ☹️

The Rockies are great if the weather is cooperating. We flew back home from Calgary the last time, too bad we weren't geocaching then.

A visit to Stewart and Hyder (to see the bears) was a highlight B)

Unexpected country coming up. I'm currently seconded to a work project in Germany, changing between two different locations twice. I convinced my manager to give me the rental car a day earlier. Had a good look at what I could do with it and saw that Liechtenstein is just 4 hours driving away.

Those that've been to Liechtenstein: Which caches should I absolutely do, and for which I have time considering I'm probably looking at 4 hours there? I would consider a small hike as well, but at least one EarthCache needs to be included. I'm not going to Switzerland even though it's still missing on my map. I'll do that for a small, proper vacation one day.

33 minutes ago, terratin said:

Those that've been to Liechtenstein: Which caches should I absolutely do

Liechtenstein will be my next new country (my 72nd) I will visit in June, This was the cache recommended to me https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6W3JC However we have a tight driving schedule that day so will only take a slight detour over the Rhine River to fill in the country.

28 minutes ago, FunnyNose said:

Liechtenstein will be my next new country (my 72nd) I will visit in June, This was the cache recommended to me https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6W3JC However we have a tight driving schedule that day so will only take a slight detour over the Rhine River to fill in the country.

Oh nice! I'll put this one in my list of caches to do! Perfect.

I heard Liechtenstein's first is nice for the location and not far from a parking place. But it does require a car.

Edited by terratin
On 5/20/2019 at 8:07 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

Hmm, I kinda suck at non-caching recommendations.  You'll want to see the Icefields Parkway of course, between Jasper and Banff.  But it'll be full of tourists, and accommodations will be pricey.  You're from Alaska I gather, so maybe you have similar scenery at home.

The badlands around Drumheller are cool, and there's a nice simple campground just north of town beside the ferry.  And though I haven't been, I hear Liard Hot Springs are worth a visit, right up at the top of BC.  On a similar note, I've enjoyed Lussier Hot Springs, and Halfway Hot Springs.  The latter was a hippy village when I visited; a culture-of-BC experience, a delight.

I definitely had Liard Hot Springs on the list. I think we also are going to take some time in Carcross to see the "World's Smallest Desert" as well too.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:00 AM, on4bam said:

The glacier retreated a lot too. ☹️

We have the Mendenhall Glacier here in Juneau. Our unofficial motto is "It used to be bigger." The rate of retreat is really quite sad and impressive.

16 hours ago, terratin said:

I'm not going to Switzerland even though it's still missing on my map. I'll do that for a small, proper vacation one day.

Good idea.  Switzerland is relatively easy to get to with Zurich and Geneva being fairly busy airports for a layover.  I also  got a work related invite to travel to Europe for a week in July, but it's to the UK (Sheffield), which coincidentally is the last European country I added to  my map.  It's also my first international trip this year.   Depending on how the proposal goes I may be starting on another project later this year that has three trips to South Africa and/or Uganda over the next three years written into the contract.  South Africa would not be a new country (I"ve been there 3 times) but Uganda would and I could probably squeeze in a side trip to Botswana.

17 hours ago, terratin said:

I heard Liechtenstein's first is nice for the location and not far from a parking place. But it does require a car.

Great location.  We drove to it, but Google maps claims that the #22 bus stops at the parking lot nearby.

My log says,

Wished I'd taken a more direct route to the cache -- we took the long way in from the top. Got it eventually!

but that was 11 years ago, so I don't have any tips on what way to go or not.  With 1370 finds, though, I imagine there is a well beaten geotrail by now.  At least 1,000 of those finds are subsequent to our visit.

GCRWKT is a nice spot.  We managed to catch it at the end of the rainbow, which was nice.

f4abc74e-0b48-4d70-8058-49b63dac5321.jpg

Edited by hzoi