collecting countries

terratin

1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

What's my travel secret?  Okay, I work in the aviation industry, and that helps, but honestly it doesn't help much and in fact for my last trip, I only saved a few hundred $ using industry discounts, and all but 2 of the flights were commercial fares.

I always wondered what you did that let you travel so much.  I'm a programmer and systems architect for one of the largest and well respected agriculture libraries in the world.  Agriculture and food security is a world wide issue. and there are many organizations with an international focus (e.g. the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations) that I have worked with as well as other Agricultural focused universities throughout the world.  Many of them are in need of the technical expertise I have, especially in developing countries which is why I've managed to travel to Africa 7 times.  In the past week I've been reviewing and helping polish a project proposals to develop a system which may be used by an organization that focuses on Agricultural research in Malawi, Zambia, and Mozambique and the organization is located in Botswana.  The project partners is with an organization we've worked with for over 15 years that is located in South Africa.  

On 7/21/2018 at 5:33 AM, Goldenwattle said:

LOL, the person I was quoting, "It's too difficult." , actually lived less than 50kms from the Canadian border. She said this to me, when I had travelled from Australia to the USA and crossed backwards and forwards over the border several times. If she had said she didn't want to go to Canada, okay, but to tell me it was too difficult :rolleyes:

Maybe she has had a DUI?

On 8/5/2018 at 12:37 PM, Da Wards said:

The rest of our lives will be taking turns picking locations to live at in three or six month increments.

You are living my dream!  Congrats and enjoy!

10 hours ago, Michaelcycle said:

Do you mean a souvenir? There are lots of countries that do not have them yet. After the first release GS has doled them out fitfully, mostly based on the number of geocaches in the country rather than any political consideration.

The good news is that Isreal has more geocaches than several countries that already have a souvenir available so if GS releases more country/region souvenirs near the end of the year (as they've done several previous years) it is one of the most likely candidates for receiving a new souvenir and, since region based souvenirs are retroactively awarded, anyone that has previously found a cache in Isreal will get the souvenir.  

As frequently as this question comes up, perhaps GS should include an explanation about "missing" country/state souvenirs on the web site.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:19 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

As frequently as this question comes up, perhaps GS should include an explanation about "missing" country/state souvenirs on the web site.

I heard this weekend that the intent is to eventually have one per country.  Don't know if that was on the record, so I'll cite "a source close to Groundspeak."

On track for #40 in November: tickets and hotel booked for Nice, which is just down the coast from lovely Monaco.

That would leave us with only San Marino for countries in western Europe, but getting there might be a hassle from here - no direct flights from Frankfurt to Bimini.  More likely that we'll visit Balkan or Baltic states first, as well as Northern Africa and any of the self-governing territories like Faroe Islands or Isle of Man, and save San Marino before we leave.

5 hours ago, hzoi said:

On track for #40 in November: tickets and hotel booked for Nice, which is just down the coast from lovely Monaco.

That would leave us with only San Marino for countries in western Europe, but getting there might be a hassle from here - no direct flights from Frankfurt to Bimini.  More likely that we'll visit Balkan or Baltic states first, as well as Northern Africa and any of the self-governing territories like Faroe Islands or Isle of Man, and save San Marino before we leave.

Maybe I'm missing something.  What do Frankfurt and Bimini have to do with San Marino.   So far I'd the United Kingdom, Luxembourg, and Kenya this year.  There's a possibility that I might be able to add Botswana in the beginning of November (I've got a trip planned for South Africa and might extend it a couple of days for a meeting in Gaborone).

I love collecting countries too. And if I travel, I have a look on countries I haven´t been caching before. But decissions are not made only on this.

Luckily i live in Germany, the verry center of Eurpoe. And it is quite easy to collect coutries arround. Once at an Event some guys and I was talking about doing as much countries as possible in 24 hours. We started making a plan an came to the conclusion, that 14 countries in 24 hours could be possible B)

Who´s in?

5 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

I love collecting countries too. And if I travel, I have a look on countries I haven´t been caching before. But decissions are not made only on this.

Luckily i live in Germany, the verry center of Eurpoe. And it is quite easy to collect coutries arround. Once at an Event some guys and I was talking about doing as much countries as possible in 24 hours. We started making a plan an came to the conclusion, that 14 countries in 24 hours could be possible B)

Who´s in?

I think I've seen something here from a group that did close to that in 24 hours.   I don't live in Europe but have finds in 15 European countries so I might be interested if it was in eastern Europe.  When I travel long distances it's almost always going to involve a layover and I've chosen layover airports (and have booked an itinerary with an overnight layover) based on whether I've found a cache there previously.  That's getting harder to do , but Lisbon and Oslo are still options.  I have not yet been to Eastern Europe but I got an invitation to attend a workshop in Montenegro next year (I doubt that'll go).  

20 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

Who´s in?

I've considered having a go at this, it's the kind of stupid thing I would do.  But all the countries involved would be ones I've already cached through.  And I have other epic adventures on the cards first... ;)

14 in 24h?!?  That is so Amazing Race.

Every so often I talk up the idea of doing the 8 countries from Panama City to Cancun, and - because things aren't that efficient down there - I keep wondering if 3 weeks might be rushing it.

Interestingly, it looks like last-minute one-way flights home from Cancun cost next to nothing. I'd never have guessed. So it leaves the door open to an open-ended trip. Find a paradise beach along the way? Stay a while. :)

On 25/9/2018 at 1:33 PM, hzoi said:

you can fly to Pisa, Firenze, other cities nearby... San Marino is worth spending a day there, it's not like you just step in and out, it's relly Nice. (;))

I just booked the flights to Rome. I'm 27 and I've never been there yet, it's time to put an end to that. And that means that if everything goes to the accorded plan, Vatican City will be my 38th country. :lol:

On 9/30/2018 at 6:58 AM, Arnàutil said:

you can fly to Pisa, Firenze, other cities nearby... San Marino is worth spending a day there, it's not like you just step in and out, it's relly Nice. (;))

I just booked the flights to Rome. I'm 27 and I've never been there yet, it's time to put an end to that. And that means that if everything goes to the accorded plan, Vatican City will be my 38th country. :lol:

Enjoy.  Rome is pretty much my favorite city in the world.  

On 9/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

14 in 24h?!?  That is so Amazing Race.

Every so often I talk up the idea of doing the 8 countries from Panama City to Cancun, and - because things aren't that efficient down there - I keep wondering if 3 weeks might be rushing it.

Interestingly, it looks like last-minute one-way flights home from Cancun cost next to nothing. I'd never have guessed. So it leaves the door open to an open-ended trip. Find a paradise beach along the way? Stay a while. :)

I'm sure that could be done in about 2 weeks.

Just let me know when :)

8 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I flew from Panama CIty to Cancun (from Havana to PC to Cancun) and it *felt* like I spent two weeks in Cancun airport.  I spent a week in Costa Rica and only hit a small part of the country.

I could tell you about spending time in Cancun airport wondering if you're going to be able to fly out.... hehe the joys of industry travel (standby) when there are disrupted flights (big storms across the US)...

On 9/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Just out of interest, what would you suggest would be the best way to travel through these countries and cross the borders? Public transport all the way or rent/buy a car at one end and drop off/sell at the other end?  So far for me, it's only been Europe (including several non-EU countries) and North America (US/CA border) where I've done the whole cross border thing with a rental/lease vehicle.

Open question to anyone with experience with this in South America, Africa and Asia too...

Edited by funkymunkyzone

Central America would have to be by public transport.  Long-distance buses (Tica Bus and a few others are pretty smooth and efficient when you just need to get to the next country), chicken buses are for those off-the-tourist-trail caching destinations that TripAdvisor knows nothing about, and you might even use shared taxis (1) where that's the local way of getting around.  Oh, and I've even resorted to airplanes and boats, but that was for a specific cache.

Cars are really impractical in Central America.  You can't rent one between countries, and it's even less possible to get a one-way rental.  If you bring your own car, countries want a pile of paperwork and money up front, as a sort of ransom to keep you from selling your car inside their country.  Way too much hassle.  (2) (3)

~~~

1. In the Dominican Republic, I discovered you can fit four adult hips across the back of a Nissan Tsuru, standard taxi sedan.  When I slammed my door shut, I wondered if the other would pop open.

2. Road Fever by Tim Cahill is my favorite book ever, to judge from the number of times I've read it.  Tells the tale of an epic drive the length of the Americas.  It was all about border bureaucracy, teenagers with guns, and other driving hassles.  Being Cahill, it was also hilarious.  (USA and Canada only got a few pages; too easy.)

3. Off the Grid by Randy Denmon is another good book.  For extra hassle/challenge, try finding electricity to keep a Tesla charged, all the way to Panama City.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Spling and grammar
17 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

2. Road Fever by Tim Cahill is my favorite book ever, to judge from the number of times I've read it.  Tells the tale of an epic drive the length of the Americas.  It was all about border bureaucracy, teenagers with guns, and other driving hassles.  Being Cahill, it was also hilarious.  (USA and Canada only got a few pages; too easy.)

I'll have to look for that one.   I've read another one from a woman that traveled from Mexico to Panama using various forms of public transportation but can't remember the name or author off the top of my head.  

ETA:  The book I was thinking of is called "Backpacked: A Reluctant Trip Across Central America" by Catherine Ryan Howard.  It was quite entertaining and proves a good glimpse of many of the central american countries.

For Africa,  Dark Star by Paul Theroux is a good read.  It chronicles his travels from Cairo to Cape Town using various forms of ground transportation.  

I enjoy these travel diary types of books.  I'll have to check out Tim Cahill.  

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I'll be flying into Nadi.  Might drive as far as Suva, but probably just explore the Nadi area and south coast.

When I thought I might be able to attend a conference a few years ago in Australia I was looking at Air NZ which had a layover in Nadi.  Alas, the trip didn't pan out.

I booked flights to Johannesburg, South Africa yesterday for some training I'm doing for an organization there.  I leave in 10 days.

5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

When I thought I might be able to attend a conference a few years ago in Australia I was looking at Air NZ which had a layover in Nadi.  Alas, the trip didn't pan out.

I booked flights to Johannesburg, South Africa yesterday for some training I'm doing for an organization there.  I leave in 10 days.

Air NZ is certainly the best choice. Perhaps when we have NZ Mega 2020... ;)

On 10/19/2018 at 2:40 PM, Oxford Stone said:

I've just seen this story on bbc.co.uk https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/45903825/baby-joins-the-all-50-states-club - in case the link doesn't work in the US (BBC have a strange set-up on their website), this is about a 6-month-old baby who's visited all 50 states! Future geocacher???

Infants make poor caching companions.  All they do is sit there; you have to do all the work.

Just look at this lazy lump.  She didn't even wake up to find this one.

9e37059e-7336-4fed-b6be-2d883b25ed6f.jpg

I've found they start getting more useful around five or so.

95257d00-afd4-4c19-83ad-f6087748f801.jpg

:laughing:

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
On 10/19/2018 at 8:40 AM, Oxford Stone said:

I've just seen this story on bbc.co.uk https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/45903825/baby-joins-the-all-50-states-club - in case the link doesn't work in the US (BBC have a strange set-up on their website), this is about a 6-month-old baby who's visited all 50 states! Future geocacher???

I think I was three months old when my parents drove across the country from NJ to CA.  I vaguely remember playing on the side of the road in Arizona when they had a flat tire but that was it and we probably traveled through a few states I haven't visited since.  

21 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I think I was three months old when my parents drove across the country from NJ to CA.  I vaguely remember playing on the side of the road in Arizona when they had a flat tire

Ah, a precocious one.  :lol:

I wasn't playing in traffic (and on the railroad tracks) until I was roughly three years old.  Kids back then, we had adventures.  B)

Been a bit busy lately, and flight connections from Scotland were rubbish. Anyway... I just moved again and now have two good international airports at my doorstep again. Not sure yet where to go to but I'd love to visit more of Eastern Europe and maybe catch one or the other microstate.

20 hours ago, terratin said:

Been a bit busy lately, and flight connections from Scotland were rubbish. Anyway... I just moved again and now have two good international airports at my doorstep again. Not sure yet where to go to but I'd love to visit more of Eastern Europe and maybe catch one or the other microstate.

Where'd you move to this time?   I had 4 international trips this year but only picked up three new countries (Kenya, UK, and Luxembourg).   Although it won't make a difference in the amount of international travel I do we recently bought a second home that's 2.5 hours away from Newark airport which will make it a bit easier for traveling abroad.  I don't have anything specific planned but there's a project proposal under consideration with an organization in Botswana that could result in a trip or two to Botswana and possibly one or two of the target countries for the project (Rwanda, Mozambique, Uganda...).