collecting countries

terratin

We have just booked a cruise to the Caribbean in March visiting three new countries and three overseas territories/dependencies.

This will be actual country 72, 73 and 74 visited for me, but I guess the additional three overseas territories/dependencies included on the itinerary will count as countries as far as Geocaching.com is concerned which will take us from 24 to 30 (although a big assumption there that we find a cache in every port!). Topping and tailing the cruise in Miami will also add another US state souvenir too.

Then in May I'm off to Brazil. That's a great start to 2016! So excited!

What are your ports of call? We've visited many of the Caribbean islands (although never on a cruise, we like to spend time in the places we visit)

I know what you mean - a cruise wouldn't exactly be my first choice either (and we have only ever done one once before and spent the first two days itching to get off the ship and be free!). This however was booked because Miami was the cheapest long haul flight I could book from Turkey on the only dates my husband can take off work, and he's had an extremely stressful 6 months at work so letting someone else do everything seemed like a good idea!

The ports of call are San Juan (Puerto Rico), Bridgetown (Barbados), Castries (St Lucia), St Johns (Antigua), Phillipsburg (St Maarten), Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas) and back to San Juan. I'm most excited about Puerto Rico - and we will have a few days there either side too. I have no intention of just sitting on a beach in any of the ports - I can do that at home!! B)

I'm sure I will match the number of countries cached in to my age - we both travel a lot for work and only have to do half again of what we managed this year. If I included the 'countries' that GC includes as countries in my visited-but-not-cached-in count, then I'd be well over double my age - I might even make a century :lol:

We have just booked a cruise to the Caribbean in March visiting three new countries and three overseas territories/dependencies.

This will be actual country 72, 73 and 74 visited for me, but I guess the additional three overseas territories/dependencies included on the itinerary will count as countries as far as Geocaching.com is concerned which will take us from 24 to 30 (although a big assumption there that we find a cache in every port!). Topping and tailing the cruise in Miami will also add another US state souvenir too.

Then in May I'm off to Brazil. That's a great start to 2016! So excited!

What are your ports of call? We've visited many of the Caribbean islands (although never on a cruise, we like to spend time in the places we visit)

I know what you mean - a cruise wouldn't exactly be my first choice either (and we have only ever done one once before and spent the first two days itching to get off the ship and be free!). This however was booked because Miami was the cheapest long haul flight I could book from Turkey on the only dates my husband can take off work, and he's had an extremely stressful 6 months at work so letting someone else do everything seemed like a good idea!

The ports of call are San Juan (Puerto Rico), Bridgetown (Barbados), Castries (St Lucia), St Johns (Antigua), Phillipsburg (St Maarten), Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas) and back to San Juan. I'm most excited about Puerto Rico - and we will have a few days there either side too. I have no intention of just sitting on a beach in any of the ports - I can do that at home!! B)

I'm sure I will match the number of countries cached in to my age - we both travel a lot for work and only have to do half again of what we managed this year. If I included the 'countries' that GC includes as countries in my visited-but-not-cached-in count, then I'd be well over double my age - I might even make a century :lol:

A friend of mine just recently did a cruise out of Puerto Rico and hit some of the same countries. She really seemed to like Puerto Rico as well. I've looked at Puerto Rico for a possible vacation as well. I'd love to see Arecibo, Camay cavern, and take a day trip to one of the nearby islands. I've never been to the Caribbean (unless you count Cancun) so am looking forward to my trip to Cuba.

My aim is to get to double as many countries as my age.

Hmm... 134 countries seems a bit much for me to aim at (136 after March). However, I've just returned from a SE Asian cruise and have added 4 new countries (Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand) to bring my total to 11.

In the Northern summer I'm planning a European trip and hope to add another 12 (Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Lichtenstein). Plus, possibly, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Hong Kong.

Approaching Christmas, I hope to add Spain, Gibraltar, The Azores and Bermuda as well as 6 new US states. Possibly Abu Dhabi if there's a long enough break at the airport. That should get me to 27 and I might break 30 if there's a strong following wind.

My aim is to get to double as many countries as my age.

Hmm... 134 countries seems a bit much for me to aim at (136 after March). However, I've just returned from a SE Asian cruise and have added 4 new countries (Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand) to bring my total to 11.

In the Northern summer I'm planning a European trip and hope to add another 12 (Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Lichtenstein). Plus, possibly, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Hong Kong.

Approaching Christmas, I hope to add Spain, Gibraltar, The Azores and Bermuda as well as 6 new US states. Possibly Abu Dhabi if there's a long enough break at the airport. That should get me to 27 and I might break 30 if there's a strong following wind.

It looks like there's a cache just outside the terminal in Abu Dhabi. There was one near the terminal when I had a layover in Dubai but I was staying overnight and was able to go to an area nearby that had several more.

In addition to adding Mexico and Cuba (of course...I still have to find them) in April it looks like there's a good chance I'll be going to a conference in Dublin and can add Ireland and, with a layover in either Iceland or the UK, add those two countries to my collection as well. That's all I have planned for now.

I don't get to travel much, but I've added a visitor counter to my profile so I can see where cachers who visit my profile have come from. :)

There are a bunch of people in the all nations forum section that do that as well. I've said that I would look at a couple of their profiles when I'm traveling but I can never seem to remember when I"m there. If you want to try and remind me at the end of March I may be able to add flags for Mexico and Cuba to yours.

Here's something that I've tried but didn't seem to achieve the results I was looking for. PIck a country for which you want to try and get a flag. Run a search for caches in that country and filter for caches that are premium member only. Click on the listings for a few of them and you might find one for which the CO has turned on the audit log. You might get a CO to check out who's checking out their listing and that would get a flag from their country in your profile.

Heading to NY tomorrow for a week - I hope we can fly, all flights today have been cancelled, but tomorrow looks good... dry.gifdry.gif

While you may be able to get to the airport, getting around is still going to be difficult. The travel ban that was in effect was just lifted at 7:00AM this morning. I have a friend that lives in the city and she said that the subways are still running and, even during the travel ban, travel on foot or bicycle is fine. The above ground train lines are still not running though nor are the MTA busses.

I live about 200 miles northwest from NYC and we didn't get any snow at all from this storm.

I don't get to travel much, but I've added a visitor counter to my profile so I can see where cachers who visit my profile have come from. :)

There are a bunch of people in the all nations forum section that do that as well. I've said that I would look at a couple of their profiles when I'm traveling but I can never seem to remember when I"m there. If you want to try and remind me at the end of March I may be able to add flags for Mexico and Cuba to yours.

Here's something that I've tried but didn't seem to achieve the results I was looking for. PIck a country for which you want to try and get a flag. Run a search for caches in that country and filter for caches that are premium member only. Click on the listings for a few of them and you might find one for which the CO has turned on the audit log. You might get a CO to check out who's checking out their listing and that would get a flag from their country in your profile.

Either I'm blind (well, I arrived at the airport at midnight for my flight back home) or the one at Abu Dhabi airport has been archived.

Either I'm blind (well, I arrived at the airport at midnight for my flight back home) or the one at Abu Dhabi airport has been archived.

There are two caches near AUH on the caches near airports list that hzoi maintains. Are you talking about this one?

Oh gosh! For some reason I looked at the wrong airport! *facepalm* and as a consequence my pocket query didn't go as far out. Oh well.. there will be more Abu Dhabi trips soon I'm sure.

That's okay. I didn't realize that there is a new airport still under construction in Dubai (but opened in 2010) and there's already a cache near it. Apparently it's part of "Dubai World Central" and has a goal to be the worlds busiest airport in the world. Currently Hartfield-Jackson in Atlanta holds that distinction with about 22.7 million passengers a year. The Dubai World Central airport is being designed to accommodate up to 160 million passengers a year.

Dubai seems to be incensed to create the biggest, busiest, most expensive everything in the world.

Oh gosh! For some reason I looked at the wrong airport! *facepalm* and as a consequence my pocket query didn't go as far out. Oh well.. there will be more Abu Dhabi trips soon I'm sure.

That's okay. I didn't realize that there is a new airport still under construction in Dubai (but opened in 2010) and there's already a cache near it. Apparently it's part of "Dubai World Central" and has a goal to be the worlds busiest airport in the world. Currently Hartfield-Jackson in Atlanta holds that distinction with about 22.7 million passengers a year. The Dubai World Central airport is being designed to accommodate up to 160 million passengers a year.

Dubai seems to be incensed to create the biggest, busiest, most expensive everything in the world.

And they seem to be getting there. I haven't seen so much construction in one place. It's quite the thing. Kind of scary, understanding how unstable the area is. I don't care how many precautions they put in place. I think someone needs to make a disaster movie that takes place in Dubai.

Kind of scary, understanding how unstable the area is.

It's pretty safe. (think feeds, hand, not bite dry.gif )

I believe she is referring to the geological stability, considering it's all built on sand and shells, rather something like political stability which may put someone in an unsafe situation.

NYPaddleCacher is correct. I won't even get into the political issues of Dubai. :laughing::ph34r:

I've cached in 19 different countries (17 if you exclude the US virgin islands and Puerto Rico) since I started geocaching in 2005. In some of the countries, I was only able to make time to find one geocache... but I made sure I found one to light up that country on my map!

My one and only in The Netherlands: "Under the bridge" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC921

Only one in Sweden: "Swerail #02" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC17GG3

Also only have one in Slovenia... a guard rail cache wedged in the little nub of country between Austria and Croatia!

When I was a lot younger I traveled with my family to a number of countries in the Caribbean, but I haven't otherwise missed out on nabbing countries like Andromeda321 has. I've missed out on a few states in the US, though. Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Washington namely, plus driving through Alabama once.

My 2013 plans (so far) will allow me to add Argentina (I hope, I'm here now but there isn't a cache with 100 miles :( ) and Brazil. Plus Washington state!

It has been quite some time since I've visited this thread, and I'm sorry to say I still haven't gotten through all the pages since I last contributed. I'm sure there are lots of entertaining and inspirational posts, so I'll be sure to catch up soon.

My 2013 plans came to fruition! I added both Argentina and Brazil during my time spent working in SA. Later in the year I added Tahiti/French Polynesia (technically an overseas collectivity of France) and Washington and Oregon states.

2014 brought me to Israel, The United Arab Emirates, Germany, Vatican City, the UK (England), South Korea, Singapore, China, Japan, and Taiwan. Busy year :P

In 2015, I added Portugal, Spain, Ireland, and Guatemala. Stateside, I added North Dakota to my states list.

All told, I'm now up to 36 countries by the GC.com count. Here's to another fun year in 2016!

I just added China - country #27 for me. It is my first new country since June 2014. I was there (in Beijing) for work. The work was busy and there were no caches within 2 miles of my hotel or work location. Which meant I had to be patient and wait until the end of the week. My flight home was late on Saturday, so I had all day Saturday in Beijing. I walked 26 kms and found 12 caches (plus 7 DNFs), mostly in a large forest park near the Olympic area. I met another cacher (from Belgium) by chance at the second cache, and we joined up and spent the afternoon together. I also visited some non-caching sites. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but it was fun.

I just added China - country #27 for me. It is my first new country since June 2014. I was there (in Beijing) for work. The work was busy and there were no caches within 2 miles of my hotel or work location. Which meant I had to be patient and wait until the end of the week. My flight home was late on Saturday, so I had all day Saturday in Beijing. I walked 26 kms and found 12 caches (plus 7 DNFs), mostly in a large forest park near the Olympic area. I met another cacher (from Belgium) by chance at the second cache, and we joined up and spent the afternoon together. I also visited some non-caching sites. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but it was fun.

That's a pretty nice park for caching, isn't it? I spent a few hours there at the beginning of my last trip with a couple of non-geocaching students so didn't get to find any caches there. At the end of the week I went to the Old Summer Palace with one of the students but by that time I had told him about geocaching (we tried to find a cache that was missing on the Great Wall a couple of days earlier) so I was able to grab a few.

That's a pretty nice park for caching, isn't it? I spent a few hours there at the beginning of my last trip with a couple of non-geocaching students so didn't get to find any caches there. At the end of the week I went to the Old Summer Palace with one of the students but by that time I had told him about geocaching (we tried to find a cache that was missing on the Great Wall a couple of days earlier) so I was able to grab a few.

Yes, it was. It is large enough that muggles were not an issue, generally at GZ we were searching without anyone around. Though I expect it is busier in the summer. And the lakes were frozen so we could take some short cuts across them!

Just got my 62nd country today. United Arab Emirates

Still have 2 more on tap for 2016.

I'm surprised that with all your travels you hadn't found one in UAE yet since Dubai is such a major airline hub (ok, if you fly on Emirates) between Europe, Asia, and Africa. I found it really interesting to be in a place that was so international.

I've got 3, possibly four new countries penciled in. Last year was the first that I didn't add a new country to my profile since I started in 2007. I visited quite a few countries but had previously found caches in all of them. I'm still dealing with trying to get a proper visa for a visit to Cuba in April but I'm really looking forward to that trip.

BTW, for all you country collectors, international airline fares are really good right now. If anyone is considering going to Brazil, this summer would be a good time to do it as airfares are low and Brazil is waiving visa fees (typically $160 for an American) during the summer.

Brazil is waiving visa fees (typically $160 for an American) during the summer.

Interesting. I'd earlier ruled out Brazil because of that, plus the nosey questions they ask on the application form. I assume they still want the visa however. Which means couriering the passport to Vancouver, aaah forget it.

Typically I choose countries that are more welcoming to visitors. There are plenty that require no visa at all, or simply grant you one at the border.

EDIT: Aah, I see Brazil waived the visa entirely. Hmm, that's tempting. Gotta check the cache map. I know there's the APE cache, but did they ever fix the airport (slippery runway)? How far do I want to go to play along with a marketing stunt? Hmm... Wish they spoke Spanish down there... My Portuguese is laughable; just badly-disguised Spanish.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Typically I choose countries that are more welcoming to visitors. There are plenty that require no visa at all, or simply grant you one at the border.

One of the reasons we avoid a certain country. Last time (2008) we were pleasantly surprised by immigration but disgusted by most "rent-a-cops" at many of the places we visited.

We're already planning our next trip and it will be a new cache country + most easterly too.

Wow, you know what's a really great way to stop having any interesting contributions to this thread? Submitting a PhD thesis. <_< I am at T minus six months, so nothing much is happening until then. I keep thinking it would be fun to go for a weekend to Vienna and then pop over to Slovakia for a day, but just never seem to find the time for it. I did want to pop in though and say I have cached in 39 countries and turned 30 last month, so guess I'm a member of the more countries than age club too. :)

I am however having fun fantasizing about the trip I want to take when I submit my PhD thesis in August or so. See, I never did the Baltics, and while August is popular I naively think I could head there last minute for a "hooray, I'm free!" kind of jaunt. Add in Finland too, and the 72 hours visa free on the ferry to St Petersburg, and I think that would be a really memorable trip!

And I'll definitely have some more countries later in 2016 besides that- I do a lot of science writing on the side, and it's amazingly paid off well enough that a literary agent and I are working on a book proposal on my area in astronomy. :) So with luck I'll be doing that for a year or so, and I would really like to take the excuse to do stuff like go to Cape Town for a month to meet with people there and work, etc- fingers crossed!!

China requires obtaining a visa before traveling but I've found that everyone that I've encountered there was very welcoming and I've been treated very well the three times I've been there.

One of the reasons we avoid a certain country. Last time (2008) we were pleasantly surprised by immigration but disgusted by most "rent-a-cops" at many of the places we visited.

What country is that? As country collectors we'd probably want to know if some country has rent-a-cops that are especially overzealous about their job.

About to book a trip to Portugal in two weeks - that would be my 27th country. :)

Wait, don't you live in Spain (Catalan)? Next weekend I'll finally add Mexico to my list during an overnight layover on the way to Cuba. Unfortunately the amount of layover time I'll have in Panama will be too short to go find a cache. In June I'll be going to Dublin, Ireland for a week (another new country for me). I haven't booked my flights yet but I'll be looking at itineraries that might give me time to find a cache in a 4th country this year. I doubt that it'll happen the there's also the possibility that I may go to Greece (Crete) in May.

About to book a trip to Portugal in two weeks - that would be my 27th country. :)

Wait, don't you live in Spain (Catalan)?

Yes, I live in Catalonia (and speak Catalan). Why? :)

It was just a light hearted jab at the irony of finding caches in many different countries but not the one next door. I've found caches in 21 countries and even though I live in the U.S. I haven't found any in Canada (about a 3 hour drive from here) or Mexico. I'll finally get Mexico next weekend. I'm hoping to get back to Catalonia some day. I only spent about 2.5 days in Barcelona and would like to explore a bit more of that part of the world.

Good luck with Mexico City. The last time I was there, I approached a handful of caches, but bailed each time because of muggles. (Urban caching, just not my thing!)

If there's a private place to search for a cache in that metropolis, I haven't found it. Maybe in the farther-back section of Chapultepec Park...

I'm actually going to be going to Cancun and there's an event posted for the night I'll arrive and just down the road from my hotel. There's also a traditional at the same spot where the event is happening. I had a short layover in Mexico City on the way to Costa Rica a couple of years ago and decided not to risk taking a cab to Zocalo and missing my connecting flight. I was in Mexico city about 13 years ago though so I know how crowded it is. I don't care for urban caching either, especially in tourist areas in countries in which I don't speak the local language.

It was just a light hearted jab at the irony of finding caches in many different countries but not the one next door. I've found caches in 21 countries and even though I live in the U.S. I haven't found any in Canada (about a 3 hour drive from here) or Mexico. I'll finally get Mexico next weekend. I'm hoping to get back to Catalonia some day. I only spent about 2.5 days in Barcelona and would like to explore a bit more of that part of the world.

Okay! I didn't get it :) Actually Portugal is quite far for us, I mean, it has border with Spain but I wouldn't go there by car. Also when looking for places to visit in Europe I tend to look north and east but to forget the west (which only includes Portugal). But I will visit some day obviously...

... but not in two weeks. We have decided for a four-day trip to Italy which will include a visit to San Marino: my 27th country in GC and 37th country I've visited. :)

It was just a light hearted jab at the irony of finding caches in many different countries but not the one next door.

I have the same "problem". Luxembourg is less than 2 hours away (closest cache is only 165Km as the crow flies) but I have yet to find a cache there. GC40 can even be done while driving there and yet... On the other hand, my "Average Distance = 476 km" B)

Okay! I didn't get it :) Actually Portugal is quite far for us, I mean, it has border with Spain but I wouldn't go there by car. Also when looking for places to visit in Europe I tend to look north and east but to forget the west (which only includes Portugal). But I will visit some day obviously...

... but not in two weeks. We have decided for a four-day trip to Italy which will include a visit to San Marino: my 27th country in GC and 37th country I've visited. :)

If you're going to be in Rome you can also get Vatican city/state. I'm fairly close to the Canadian border in the north east so it would be about a 30 hour drive to Mexico.

If you're going to be in Rome you can also get Vatican city/state. I'm fairly close to the Canadian border in the north east so it would be about a 30 hour drive to Mexico.

I left Rome out for another time... One needs at least 3 days to visit it properly, I guess.

I left Rome out for another time... One needs at least 3 days to visit it properly, I guess.

At least. I've been there six times, all for work, and always wished I had more time to play tourist.

At least. I've been there six times, all for work, and always wished I had more time to play tourist.

We spent four days in Rome in February 2009. I think it was a good length for a visit. We were given 4-day weekends on a regular basis when I was stationed in Europe, so we got pretty good at the art of getting the most out of a 4-day vacation. (We didn't just "do Italy" in four days, either; we took one trip to Cinque Terre, one to Florence, and another to Rome and the Vatican.) It was typically just enough so we could enjoy our visit without rushing to fit things in, though of course we could have always stayed longer.

I'm fairly close to the Canadian border in the north east so it would be about a 30 hour drive to Mexico.

I'm in Australia, so it is an infinitely long drive to anywhere :D

Rather damp, too, I'd think.

Well, we are back from our cruise, and Puerto Rico/Florida trip and it added 7 Geocaching countries to our list (and 3 real countries to our real countries list :laughing: ). Puerto Rico was indeed the highlight of our trip, and our favourite island was Antigua and Barbuda - just so beautiful. That was our 'big' holiday for the year and the rest of our travel will be either for work or shorter (as yet unplanned) weekend trips.

I'm currently in the Uk for a couple of weeks, and have managed to book a flight home to Turkey with a 5 hour layover in Geneva. I take it it is possible to leave the airport and add Switzerland to my count? Has anyone done this recently?

Other upcoming trips are Brazil in May and then Jersey. There is also a possibility of Serbia in a month or two, and then I have a week in Cyprus. It's a busy travel time in the TwoNomadicBrits household - just how we like it :laughing:

I would second Australia. It's a fun place to visit. And it has the prettiest beaches that I've ever seen. Go up the coast above Sydney, and pop into all the beaches going north. Gorgeous, and with some nice caches. Some of the beaches are very quiet too, you may see only a few people, or none at all.

One of my top finds ever was my 1200th, at Emmagen Creek. Another beautiful beach I believe was named Gary Beach, but I haven't uploaded photos of that one.

82334dde-019b-4bff-88a8-e75e410e4973.jpg

d91ce751-bdb0-4817-b91f-84f2a0a02701_l.jpg

Millaa Millaa Magic:

af74b6ea-7fa6-41bb-9862-2a1aa8a88fc5_l.jpg

Easterly Extreme

1bf403b5-2a3c-45d2-88de-a51a71fcfb1b.jpg

58024158-0a7c-4925-a685-d00930af4def_l.jpg