Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
k4gap

Types of APRS rigs

What type of APRS rig do you run? I am interested to know if anyone is using the same rig I plan on putting together. I want to run a Tinytrac3 along with a Kenwood 733a. Which GPS unit would anyone recommend to use with this particular outfit?

K4Gap

(Lurk Off)

Thought I'd respond with a question in the true Socratic method:

What units (Besides the Kenwood 733a) support APRS? HT and or portable?

I'm interested in learning this as it is one of the biggest drives for me to get my license.

BTW, it's everyone here's fault that I'm studying like a madman for the Tech, CW and General licenses. You should all be ashamed (pleased) of yourselves.

T.

Cadence (OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

(Lurk On - temporarily!)

How about that fancy new Kenwood TM-D700A? It is a equipped to handle SSTV, GPS, APRRS, and it even will do DX cluster monitoring AND has the new Digital Code Squelch thingy that some repeaters are starting to switch to. We have a 2m repeater here in LA that is going to switch to this system entirely by the end of the year.

If you drop your keys into molten lava just let 'em go 'cause, man, they're gone.

I have both the Keywood D700A and the D7A(g) 2m/440 APRS capable rigs. They are VERY good rigs in my opinion. I have built trackers with other HTs, and mobiles, including the Alinco DR-135TP but, none come anywhere close to the Kenwoods for ease of use and features.

- EnterZone

Originally posted by Vacman:

How about that fancy new Kenwood TM-D700A?

QUOTE]

The D700 has been around for a while now. HI.

I've been using a TH-D7E for nearly a year now. It's the Hand Held 2M/70cm rg made by Kenwood.

Although it's very good, it's not perfect. Some of my gripes are as follows. The GPS socket is a 2.5mm stereo type. The connectors are fiddly to solder and I've had problems with the connections coming adrift. Also, the NMEA system on the TH-D7 (and the TM-D700 I am told) will not allow you to transmit height data as well as speed and bearing.

The message system on the D7 is fiddly, although you can plug a PC in to make messaging easier, this is not really a great thing when walking. icon_rolleyes.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

Hi Guys

i am using the tmd700a kenwood with a garmin etrex and with a garmin gps2plus both work real good for me ya the letter input is kinda odd putting in some times i personaly use a lap top with winaprs on it for using aprs so i have a full key board to use there hope it helps

Jim

KB7YVW

You can't go wrong with either of the Kenwood TMD700a or the THD7AG. I use both and you only need a gps unit and cable. I was also told by a techy from Kenwood that they work best with a, cough, cough, Garmin.

Don't let my backside get above my head. When it stops it is going to hurt.

I use the kenwood 700 and the t-7. the xyl uses an Icom ht with a tinytrack 3. We run everything on low power. At the home qth we dont need a gps so we have it going through a KPC3+

The XYL's system is beacon only with a palmpilot gps that has been modified all other we us Garmin gps3 +'s

We arent real active on APRS but you will see us on balloon flight days. See above balloon flight subject.

If you are going to just use a base station I sujest a cheap pc and a sound card hook up and cheap ht. if you have digis close you will not need alot of power. the max I have ever used in the last years was 5 watts. Good luck and look for us in Ok. kd5jxu or kd5lvp

Rich and the Lost Yonkers Tribe, Seen My GPS?

145.130 -

Got a question about the Alinco DR-135TP. I see it has a front panel GPS input. From the pictures it looks like a phono plug. I haven't seen this rig on display, so I couldn't confirm. Anyway, how is the cable made? Can you order it as a accessory from Alinco? I assume it wouldn't be too hard to homebrew. I'd think you'd be able to buy a data cable from the GPS manufacturer, and hack it up. I've also seen sites that sold the different types of GPS interface plugs, but the whole cables are cheap enough on eBay.

Jon KC9AXZ

Originally posted by Vacman:<BR>How about that fancy new Kenwood TM-D700A? <BR><BR>QUOTE]<BR><BR>The D700 has been around for a while now. HI.<BR><BR>I've been using a TH-D7E for nearly a year now. It's the Hand Held 2M/70cm rg made by Kenwood.<BR><BR>Although it's very good, it's not perfect. Some of my gripes are as follows. The GPS socket is a 2.5mm stereo type. The connectors are fiddly to solder and I've had problems with the connections coming adrift. Also, the NMEA system on the TH-D7 (and the TM-D700 I am told) will not allow you to transmit height data as well as speed and bearing.<BR><BR>The message system on the D7 is fiddly, although you can plug a PC in to make messaging easier, this is not really a great thing when walking. icon_rolleyes.gif<!--graemlin::lol:--><BR><BR>--... ...--<BR>Morseman

Sorry it took me so long to respond - I forgot about this thread. Well, it seemed to be new to me... :ph34r:

I have decided to hold off for awhile on the Kenwood. I do a lot of duplex ops and the one common complaint that a lot of people seem to have about it is that it apparently does not x-band repeat with the kind of audio quaility that the 741/2 models are so known for. Anybody played around with that aspect and have any comments?

I'm going for a portable APRS kit.

I've got a Garmin eMap, Yaesu FT-51R (dual-band HT), and a TinyTracIII on order.

Does anybody know where I can buy or how to build a cable to connect my 51R to the TT3? The TT3 uses a simple female DB9 connector and my radio has the standard Yaesu Mic/Ear jacks (ear 3.5mm, mic 2.5mm).

Also, which software do you guys recommend for my computer? I'd like to be able to see my station as well as other nearby stations on a street level map. Is it possible to use the existing maps from Mapsource or MS Streets & Trips 2003? Also, will I be able to see the speed of moving APRS stations?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Edited by Acuracura

TinyTracIII

Keep in mind that the TinyTracIII is an encoder (transmit) only - you can't use it to receiver (see where the other units are). It does listen, but that's only so it doesn't cause a data collision (doubling) when it goes to transmit.

I understand it's a good little unit for building a station to be tracked. It's minimal requirements are great for portable operation. I have heard that it does have a tendency to lockup in transmit - probably an issue with the transmitted RF getting into the unit.

But if you want to see other stations on a map, you better be looking for something else instead of/in addition to the TinyTrac

TinyTracIII

Keep in mind that the TinyTracIII is an encoder (transmit) only - you can't use it to receiver (see where the other units are). It does listen, but that's only so it doesn't cause a data collision (doubling) when it goes to transmit.

I understand it's a good little unit for building a station to be tracked. It's minimal requirements are great for portable operation. I have heard that it does have a tendency to lockup in transmit - probably an issue with the transmitted RF getting into the unit.

But if you want to see other stations on a map, you better be looking for something else instead of/in addition to the TinyTrac

Obviously the TT3 is a transmit only TNC. That is being used for the portable APRS station.

That is totally separate from the home station. I was just wondering if there is any better software than winAPRS.

I am a huge APRS user here in Roanoke, Virginia. I use a HamHUD II with my KPC3 and an HTX-202 in my truck. Go to http://www.hamhud.net to find out what a hamhud is. You can see my HamHUD II's on my page at http://www.ke4nyv.com

I also own and run TinyTrak I's, II's and III's. I am a beta tester for Byon N6BG (TinyTrak creator) so I get to play alot.

I own a D7 and use it mainly for APRS monitoring, testing my Digipeater and in conjunction with my Palm, makes a great full featured portable APRS station.

The D700 is a nice radio, but still costs too much for me to buy one, besides my HamHUD II does more and it's open source.

I suggest to get started, get yourself a TinyTrak III at www.byonics.com and get yourself a small, display-less GPS like a reconditioned Tripmate or one of the newer Deluo GPS modules. I use a modified Tripmate in my truck with my HamHUD II for a tracker.

Hope that helps you some, good luck and hope to see you on the map!

Jason KE4NYV

www.ke4nyv.com

RPC Electronics (Custom Garmin Data Cables)

www.ke4nyv.com/rpc

oh... for the Alinco DR-135 question.

My friend has one and I helped him wire up a cable for his eTrex for using it with teh 135 for APRS. It requires a stereo 1/8" plug. I forget the pinout, but the manual tells you what is what, there will be a TXD, RXD and GND. The front panel makes it very nice and convienent for "plug and play" operation.

Jason KE4NYV

www.ke4nyv.com

RPC Electronics (Custom Garmin Data Cables)

www.ke4nyv.com/rpc