Waymarking mobile - beta

ChileHead

I haven't had the chance to use the app yet, but I have a small and entirely non-essential suggestion.

Iphone users can add the webapp as a bookmark to their home screen. the icon is kind of a screen shot of your page.

in this link you can see how to change the default icon for the webapp for people who add the app to their iphones. It makes it much prettier. That is all, but its a nice touch

you could give it this sort of look:

jsn4zp.jpg

Obviously, you may need to get permission to use the logo, but it appears that you already have that :)

By they way, thanks heaps for taking the time to make an app for Waymarking!

Edited by The Talent

When I go to http://chilehead.us/Waymarking/ on my Windows Phone (7.5; ATT and Samsung have so far failed to distribute the 7.8 update that Microsoft released five months ago :-( ) via its version of Internet Explorer, I get the message "Geolocation is required for this page, but your browser doesn't support it."

I know that geolocation is working correctly on that phone - e.g., when I search for "restaurants" via the Google app, it shows the restaurants closest to my location.

When I go to http://chilehead.us/Waymarking/ on my Windows Phone (7.5; ATT and Samsung have so far failed to distribute the 7.8 update that Microsoft released five months ago :-( ) via its version of Internet Explorer, I get the message "Geolocation is required for this page, but your browser doesn't support it."

I know that geolocation is working correctly on that phone - e.g., when I search for "restaurants" via the Google app, it shows the restaurants closest to my location.

I don't have access to a Windows mobile phone (everybody I know uses iOS or Android.)

The phone must obviously have a GPS and supports GPS enabled apps, but perhaps the stock browser - or at least the version you have - does not?

Is there a setting to enable/disable geolocation for the browser?

Does windows mobile have other browsers, such as mobile versions of chrome or firefox? It could be that those browsers, if available, support the geolocation API and the stock version doesn't.

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

There are no versions of Chrome or Firefox for the Windows Phone. I did try two other browsers, which didn't display that error message but didn't actually figure out my location either.

"Allow access to my location" is turned on for the stock browser (IE). It's not an option for the other browsers.

Please don't spend any time thinking about Windows Phone. I know it's a comparatively rare device and in fact I've only met one other person who has one. I got it under great circumstances (e.g., it didn't cost me anything, I'm not locked into a contract, and my company is paying for the service) but when the time comes to replace it, it won't be with another Windows Phone.

I have put together a mobile optimized version of Waymarking.com that should work on most smart phones. I've tested with Android and iOS (a little) and it "basically" works. It needs some polishing and testing though.

This has been done with the permission of Groundspeak.

Go here with your mobile browser to try it out. The first time you use it you should get a popup asking if your location can be shared. Say yes, otherwise - what's the point! :rolleyes: This is a temporary location until I guage the level of interest. Any problems or issues, feel free to email me or post here.

http://www.chilehead.us/wm

Edited for post space.

Thank you so much for developing this. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I've booked marked it and created a shortcut on my phone. I can't wait to test it out later today. Again, thanks a lot! I'll be sure to report any bugs and/or positive experiences.

Wow! Looks promising. I will test it later. But I see a bright future for this app. It's good news to everybody. Players may dream with an updated way to interact with Waymarking database, the developer will have a virgin market, and GS who doesn't care about WM at all, will not care, so all is good.

I'm hopeful for this, but so far haven't had success. I keep getting a "GeoLocation Unable to determine device location" error. This despite being in an open location, with both location and wifi turned on. I'm on a Galaxy 3 using Dolphin. I'll keep trying and thank you for working on this!!

Edited by wv-yen

Much better success actually using it in the field. I started two new waymarks very easily. I love that I can grab the location data and picture on site and finish them later online! Would actually have started a few others, but got rained out. Thanks again for this, it is great!!

I made a new version, a bit more polished, has better navigation & maps.

The biggest change is that image resizing is done on the device, so it's much faster to upload a picture for a visit or waymark creation. I need to tweak the exact size, so if your images look too small let me know. I used to have problems with timeouts if I didn't have a strong signal, as it would take a while to upload photos from my phone to my server unless I had my default camera resolution set small.

Navigation now makes use of the device's digital compass. If it doesn't have a digital compass, it's going to break (I think), but I plan on fixing that.

(Waymarking spelled out in all lower case also works, but the forums here muck with the capitalization)

I've done very little testing ... if you run into the problems I have the old version here:

http://chilehead.us/wmold

Edit: Note that the new version requires you to use www.chilehead.us/wm and not chilehead.us/wm ... images are failing to update if you use the "naked" version of the domain, but that should be fixed shortly.

Edited by ChileHead

Love the website. Makes Waymarking substatisly easier when traveling. I have used it in several states now and while traveling in Canada, Germany, the Czech Republic and Austrailia. Worked perfectly in each. Now I need more batery life to handle all the Waymarking and caching during the day.

My only request would be if if ran faster, but I'm guessing a lot of the speed issue is related to Ground Speak's servers and parsing the data.

Thanks for all the work and the website. Run26.2.2

I made a new version, a bit more polished, has better navigation & maps.

The biggest change is that image resizing is done on the device, so it's much faster to upload a picture for a visit or waymark creation. I need to tweak the exact size, so if your images look too small let me know. I used to have problems with timeouts if I didn't have a strong signal, as it would take a while to upload photos from my phone to my server unless I had my default camera resolution set small.

Navigation now makes use of the device's digital compass. If it doesn't have a digital compass, it's going to break (I think), but I plan on fixing that.

(Waymarking spelled out in all lower case also works, but the forums here muck with the capitalization)

I've done very little testing ... if you run into the problems I have the old version here:

http://chilehead.us/wmold

Edit: Note that the new version requires you to use www.chilehead.us/wm and not chilehead.us/wm ... images are failing to update if you use the "naked" version of the domain, but that should be fixed shortly.

Pretty good. I just got my first smart phone, a Droid Mini. Everything looks good and I can even locate nearby Waymarks.

Odd thing is that it keeps telling me that I'm not logged in. I click on the Login button and put in my user ID (MountainWoods) and my password, then Submit. It doesn't tell me if it succeeded or not; but when I go to do something like another Find Nearest Waymarks it tells me that I'm not logged in again. I go through the ritual (at least it saved my inputs from the previous time) and Submit. But it never seems to make a difference. I don't think I'd be able to create new Waymarks until that bug is fixed.

But it looks very promising!

Edit: I completely left Google Chrome (deleted the tab) and re-entered. This time when I signed in, it seemed to keep me signed in. Not sure why Chrome had to be "reset" as it were. But it's lookin' even better!

Edited by MountainWoods

Odd thing is that it keeps telling me that I'm not logged in. I click on the Login button and put in my user ID (MountainWoods) and my password, then Submit. It doesn't tell me if it succeeded or not; but when I go to do something like another Find Nearest Waymarks it tells me that I'm not logged in again. I go through the ritual (at least it saved my inputs from the previous time) and Submit. But it never seems to make a difference. I don't think I'd be able to create new Waymarks until that bug is fixed.

But it looks very promising!

I'm guessing that it didn't succeed in logging in you for one reason or another. If you have a funky character in your name (which you don't) or your password it might cause a problem. My site is acting as a proxy between your mobile device and Waymarking.com, and for the most part is just passing data back and forth and reformatting it.

Not sure what the issue could be, I just logged in myself without a problem. What browser on your device are you using?

Excellent, excellent. I'm really enjoying this.

I think the first problem with staying logged in might have been a device or Chrome issue. It was before I even had the Logged in as MountainWoods and Logout button. The second time may have been that I hit the Logout button when swiping through a list of Waymarks.

Would it be possible to make these changes to the proxy?

Move the Logout/Login to the Options drop-down.

If not logged in, then it could say Login or Sign In or some such, but if it isn't logged in it could say pretty much what it does now at the top, but inside the drop-down: Logged in as MountainWoods {Logout} button.

Or you could leave the "Logged in as ..."/"Not logged in" at the top of each page and just change the button in the drop-down to Logout. However, that top stuff takes up room on the page that might be better in the drop-down. Could go either way with that.

This way it would behave a bit more like the site when on a regular computer, and would make it less likely to accidentally hit the Logout button.

BTW, I also parse the HTML page but for a completely different reason. I let my PM lapse, but I really wanted the GPX files, which I use to import WMs as waypoints into Garmin's BaseCamp. So I wrote a script to parse the HTML and construct a GPX file. Works good, though I have to fiddle with it now and then when I encounter some odd HTML constructs in some WMs.

Thanks ever so much for a wonderful page proxy ("app")!

Edited by MountainWoods

Hi,

is this Service still active? I've tried now with Firefox, Edge on Chromium Engine, Google Chrome and even Opera. Unfortunately every Browser keeps telling me that I'm not logged in after doing so. I've re-tried logging in about a dozen times now wihtout success.

Has anybody else run against this showstopper and has solved this Issue?

Thanks for an Answers.

regards

aend