It is a sad day for caching in Metro Vancouver

PhilatSea

I have found out today after trying to publish some new caches in a Metro Vancouver Park that the current caching policy has been rescinded.

It means that no new caches can be placed in a Metro Vancouver Park. Why is this? It was because just about 3 years ago there was a power trail placed in Burnaby Lake Park. The caches were placed at the 161 m and slightly more apart but they saturated the park. I know the first day they were out that several of us ran into the Parks Manager who was very upset of this.

Instead of the BCGA stepping in or anyone else for that matter and getting some of the caches archived they remained. You would have to be under a rock in the Vancouver area to not know that Metro Parks was going to soon review the policy. As I understand it the BCGA stood by and did nothing or very little at best.

There is likely to be a further meeting on caches in Metro parks now and what happens to them. There was a 3 year rule under the prior policy and those around Burnaby Lake were likely to be archived. The oldest cache in BC is in Spirit Park at UBC.

The problem is many parks in BC have similar power trails like this. If other jurisdictions look at Vancouver to their policy this could start a wave of caching in parks being banned.

Just adds to the current title of Vancouver a no fun city.

Phil

Phil, nothing has been decided as yet. BCGA has definitely given their input to MVP. However as the land managers they get the final say. We remain hopeful they will listen to our suggestions. They do want geocaching in their parks. In fact I am still employed to teach geocaching in MVPs in the Spring.

I have found out today after trying to publish some new caches in a Metro Vancouver Park that the current caching policy has been rescinded.

It means that no new caches can be placed in a Metro Vancouver Park. Why is this? It was because just about 3 years ago there was a power trail placed in Burnaby Lake Park. The caches were placed at the 161 m and slightly more apart but they saturated the park. I know the first day they were out that several of us ran into the Parks Manager who was very upset of this.

Instead of the BCGA stepping in or anyone else for that matter and getting some of the caches archived they remained. You would have to be under a rock in the Vancouver area to not know that Metro Parks was going to soon review the policy. As I understand it the BCGA stood by and did nothing or very little at best.

There is likely to be a further meeting on caches in Metro parks now and what happens to them. There was a 3 year rule under the prior policy and those around Burnaby Lake were likely to be archived. The oldest cache in BC is in Spirit Park at UBC.

The problem is many parks in BC have similar power trails like this. If other jurisdictions look at Vancouver to their policy this could start a wave of caching in parks being banned.

Just adds to the current title of Vancouver a no fun city.

Phil

Phil, nothing has been decided as yet. BCGA has definitely given their input to MVP. However as the land managers they get the final say. We remain hopeful they will listen to our suggestions. They do want geocaching in their parks. In fact I am still employed to teach geocaching in MVPs in the Spring

Was the current policy rescinded or not?

You are aware of many caches in Metro parks including my own awaiting to be published, if it was not rescinded then caches need to be published as per the current policy in place.

Caches don't get held up by the reviewer because of something that might happen. (This comes directly from a BC reviewer).

Phil

Phil, your original post contains a lot of speculation. I'm suggesting we wait for the facts to be known first.

Phil, nothing has been decided as yet. BCGA has definitely given their input to MVP. However as the land managers they get the final say. We remain hopeful they will listen to our suggestions. They do want geocaching in their parks. In fact I am still employed to teach geocaching in MVPs in the Spring

Was the current policy rescinded or not?

You are aware of many caches in Metro parks including my own awaiting to be published, if it was not rescinded then caches need to be published as per the current policy in place.

Caches don't get held up by the reviewer because of something that might happen. (This comes directly from a BC reviewer).

Phil

"Parks Manager who was very upset of this"

this makes me wonder if this power trail around the lake was done without permission?

lets hope this has a positive outcome and THANKS go to all who work towards a positive relationship with MVP and other groups.

as an aside,that was my first and last power trail, other than a few parts of one Ive done as they where local to me and was there anyways multiple times.

TSSR

Interesting:

- Stricter saturation rules. 250 m minimum with 500 m spacing on a specific trail.

Be tough to do both these at the same time.

- Caches must be easy to find and as large as possible.

- Caches must be accessible from trails (i.e. can be reached while stillstanding on trail surface), approved travel routes or other public areas.