GDAK without GSAK

Teacosies

I know a lot of people use smart phones and use c:geo but I use GDAK as well, it can down load single caches as you go along, but its strong point is the ability to load GSAK databases. This means you can have tens of thousands of caches available on your phone. Even without a 3g signal available.

You do need to be a Premium Member on geocaching.com to download pq's.

I usually use GSAK on a VirtualBox (or VM). But this week I didnt have time to play about so I wondered if you could load multiple Pqs into GDAK but no. However there is a little prog that can help.

Found at

http://www.eapktop.com/geocaching-droid-army-knife-1-35.html

For users without GSAK there is an application to convert GPX-files to GSAK-like databases. You can download it here: http://tinyurl.com/bnao6mg

How to use.

You need to have GDAK installed on your Android phone.

Down load the above zip ad extract it to a folder of your choice – I made a folder called GPX.

Then down load your PQ zip's to the same folder*.

Double click on gpx2gsak.exe and the program will start.

GPX Location> use the folder button, to point to the zips

Tick > Use zip files instead of GPX files.

Then Click Create GSAK Database.

This will produce a sqlite.db3 file (the database)

Plugin your Android phone.

Brows to your GDAK data folder.

Make a new folder with a descriptive name.

Copy the sqlite.db3 file into this folder.

Unplug your Android phone and start GDAK tap the database icon and select the database you just loaded. Lots and lots of caches to find.

Done :)

Several areas can be made using the above procedure or a global database as you require.

Gpx2gsak also works very well in Linux using Wine – This is how I'm using it :)

*Do not have any other (non gpx) zips in the folder you chose.

Edited by Teacosies

Or you could get Locus and drop the PQ into it to do the same thing without all those steps.

Download PQ, open in Locus and go.

I don't think that the original poster was saying that this was the only way to do it. Some cachers don't want or need all of the features of a program like Locus.

I only want to be able to see the cache listing details on my android device without having to have an internet connection. No maps etc.

Since I have GSAK I don't need the "gpx2gsak" program the OP describes. But it is nice to know it is there for someone who needs it.

Or you could get Locus and drop the PQ into it to do the same thing without all those steps.

Download PQ, open in Locus and go.

Does Locus allow multiple PQ's?

Locus does I loaded about 10000 POI this morning took less than 5mins and no computers needed! If you uncheck the "Show on the map after import" you can stay in the Live menu and keep downloading them.

Downloaded it and been playing. Seems pretty nice might go for the ad free but have one question. What does the red flag on top of a couple of the caches mean?

Well two actually. When I touch the little bust of a guy on top it turns blue but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Edited by Walts Hunting