Looking for a beginners GPS device

MrWakett

Hey there! I'm completely new to GPS handhelds but I think it's time to get one now!

I want to use it for two purposes:

- Put on free maps for trekking trips in high altitudes. I want to be able to follow pre made routes and also track my own routes. walkhighlands.co.uk for instance offers maps in qu2 and gpx file formats.

- Use it for my weekly runs to track the distance and speed.

Important for me:

- Should be small and lightweight.

- Max. £200

- Best possible coverage / general feature set / performance for this price class

- I would like to have a barometric altimeter

My current favorites after a quick research:

- Garmin eTrex 30

- Garmin Oregon 450

- I'm sure there are more good devices in that price range? :)

Are there any new devices scheduled to release in the near feature? I will go to Scotland on March 23th and would like to buy one in the 2nd - 3rd week of March to get familiar with it before and implement the maps.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Chris

Touch screen would be better for sure. Hmm Ok I will think about the two options I listed and then decide.

On a side note: Are there any really good Android Apps out there which would help me as well? I'm not updated about the Apps as I'm using a Blackberry for my work in London but I still have my old Galaxy W and I could just swap SIM cards I guess. I already have an App for running but how about a really good App for Trekking Maps and Navigation?

Cheers

Chris

If you're using it for running, I am going to suggest the eTrex 30. It's nice and lightweight - lightest of any Garmin GPS that I'm aware of. You can pair it with a Tempē sensor for temperture data too.

The altimeter self calibrates. Battery runtime is phenomenal - I get easily 20 hours on a set of AA Eneloops. Accuracy is very good with the GLONASS support - the battery life is typically double an Oregon 4x0/5x0 model.

I bought my eTrex 30 specifically with backcountry trips in mind - I can carry half the batteries that my Colorado needed. Assuming 6-8 hours of navigation a day I can go up to three days on one set.

Touch screen would be better for sure. Hmm Ok I will think about the two options I listed and then decide.

On a side note: Are there any really good Android Apps out there which would help me as well? I'm not updated about the Apps as I'm using a Blackberry for my work in London but I still have my old Galaxy W and I could just swap SIM cards I guess. I already have an App for running but how about a really good App for Trekking Maps and Navigation?

Cheers

Chris

I am still pretty much a newbie when it comes to Geocaching but came here to also find a good device since I am heading to Scotland & Ireland later this spring as well and want to find something that will help me avoid roaming fees since up until now I have only used my Android phone. I have found the c:geo app to be fantastic and last night was storing caches I want to hunt for on my trip. Cheers!

Cool, thanks! Could you just let me know why one should get a GPS handheld such as the eTrex 30 if you can also have the maps on your GPS phone? I think I will get the Galaxy S4 and I just don't want to regret buying the Handheld now if there are some very good Apps around for Android and the S4 will certainly have the power to handle a lot/ offer a lot of features.

What do you guys think?

Hey there! I'm completely new to GPS handhelds but I think it's time to get one now!

I want to use it for two purposes:

- Put on free maps for trekking trips in high altitudes. I want to be able to follow pre made routes and also track my own routes. walkhighlands.co.uk for instance offers maps in qu2 and gpx file formats.

- Use it for my weekly runs to cheap speakers track the distance and speed.

Important for me:

- Should be small and lightweight.

- Max. £200

- Best possible coverage / general feature set / performance for this price class

- I would like to have a barometric altimeter

My current favorites after a quick research:

- Garmin eTrex 30

- Garmin Oregon 450

- I'm sure there are more good devices in that price range? :)

Are there any new devices scheduled to release in the near feature? I will go to Scotland on March 23th and would like to buy one in the 2nd - 3rd week of March to get familiar with it before and implement the maps.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Chris

You have got perfect choice. According two your needs you have made right choice. Have you got GPS System or still waiting for purchase

Edited by Eugenejones