Is their a chirp app for Android?

The "chirp" chip requires the "ant" protocol, which android's don't support (nor do iphones).

Ant, if you aren't familiar with it, is similar in concept to bluetooth, but more simplified, they are not compatible.

Ant is very popular for things that have very low bandwidth requirements (and thus, very low power usage, which is why they last over a year on the same battery) such as heart monitors, pedometers, things like that.

I just cannot afford a new GPS or a $700 Iphone.

I'm planning on making a Chirp cache with an alternate method to get coords. It's in a nature preserve, so I'm designing a no-touch waypoint -- cachers sit at an obervation deck on a bench, and receive new coords via Chirp, to a container outside the preserve. There's nothing to "find", nothing to get trampled, no "stealth", and no coords to get stolen (assuming I hide the Chirp well). Chirp will be a quick way to get the correct coords to the next stage.

If you don't have Chirp, I want you to be able to still find it. What would you like as an alternate method to get the coords?

If you don't have Chirp, I want you to be able to still find it. What would you like as an alternate method to get the coords?

This may not be feasible for the cache you have in mind (which sounds like one I would love to go for), but...

There's a multi in a nature preserve here in Columbus where one of the stages involves hiking to a spot where you can see a freeway sign in the distance. You have to get information from the sign and plug that into a simple formula to get the coords for the next stage.

--Larry

Count the number of (something) and calculate the final co-ordinates.

'Something' could be boards in the railing, or nail-heads, or slats in the bench, or...something.

Sounds good. I'll try not to make that too tedious. :anicute: